Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 133425 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #1980 on: June 25, 2019, 07:51:26 AM »

US lady got the side of her right leg kicked.  It was far from violent contact, but there was definitely studs up contact to the side of her knee / calf.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1981 on: June 25, 2019, 11:16:07 AM »

First half of the US-Spain match was a highly entertaining match between two sides playing well.

Second half of the US-Spain match was a shitshow of horrible tactics (both sides), cheap fouls and dives (again, both sides), and awful officiating.

Half of Spain's team should have been sitting on yellow cards, making it hard for them to defend and opening up gaps for the US to eventually score.  Instead, no one on Spain's team was on a card and then the US got the softest of penalties the one time no one on Spain did anything dirty.

Agreed mostly. I felt that the penalty was a sad method to win the game, but that there should have been bunches of fouls and some cards given, so I justified it in my head that it was mostly an accumulation style penalty. Not that I really believed that, but there's a chance it was try.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1982 on: June 25, 2019, 03:30:24 PM »

My thing with VAR is, that to me it's a tool to help the refs.  So what should have happened is they should have looked at video and said "Wow, there was hardly any contact at all, mostly Rose Lavelle dove."  In which case it's not a PK and possibly a yellow. 

But if you're going to take an NFL approach where you try to spell everything out clearly and then use VAR as a measuring tool to tell you if contact was made above the knee or if someone was .0001 inches offside then you need to rewrite the rules way more specifically.  Also, you need to VAR every potential foul.  Expect games to take 4 hours, and for no one will ever finish with 11 players on the field.  They're not going to do that.

So what you're going to get is games like US-Spain.  Even the first US PK which was less controversial, Heath played for that foul and then flopped.  If it were a basketball game, we would say she drew a foul.  I don't have a moral issue with drawing fouls or even diving, but I have an entertainment issue.  It's not as much fun to watch.

The problem with soccer is not the official's judgment on close calls.  It's the reward system.  What makes the goals feel cheap is that the reward of almost a free goal + potential red card (in effect deciding the game) is too much for a run-of-the-mill foul.  If the US isn't handed the game over a slight touch but instead just gets an indirect free kick, we don't have this controversy.

If they don't fix it, every team will play the way US and Spain did.  If I'm the favored team and winning the flow of play against a side doing a competent defending job, I'm going to play for the PK and flop every single time I'm in the box.  And if I'm the team on the defensive and I know the slightest mistimed tackle or bad hand position means I lose the game, but that no one looks when it's outside the box, then I'm going to wrestle every player to the ground before they can get into the penalty area.

A similar thing happens with offside.  They don't want to wave the flag and stop play, because they think it's easier to let the play finish and then take it back if someone was offside.  But then, they don't want to call offside unless the attacking player touched the ball.  But where does that leave the defense?  If the flag stays down, they have to play to the whistle.  Which means they have to act like the attacker who is four yards behind them can score.  Which means you have to make that desperation lunge header to disrupt play.  And then you give up the PK or you head the ball into your own net or right to another player and they will count the goal because the offside player never touched it.

They're using VAR to try and make the officials less culpable.  They should be using it to make the game better.  Figure out how you want the game to be played, and then decide on VAR's role within that framework.  If you have the technology to determine if a player is .0001 inches offside and you want to use it, then just make it so if there is a player in an offside position the play is dead.  Then the defense can go ahead and play to the whistle without worrying about their actions essentially negating an offside.

The way they are using VAR and interpreting the rules right now is a debacle. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1983 on: June 25, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »

So in the Women's World Cup quarter-finals, it's 7 European countries and Teams USA. Wow. Good luck to our American women!!!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1984 on: June 26, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »

That's not a handball.

Another example of how the current interpretations make no sense. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1985 on: June 28, 2019, 11:50:29 PM »

US Women on to the semi-finals, yet again!

Next up: England on Tuesday.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1986 on: June 30, 2019, 11:13:52 PM »

The men's US soccer team (population 320,000,000) ekes out a 1-0 victory in the Gold Cup quarter-finals against Curacao (population 163,000). If my math is right, Curacao's population is 0.05% of the US. wow, just wow. Well done Curacao. Hats off to you.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1987 on: July 02, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »

England gonna England.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1988 on: July 02, 2019, 10:56:19 PM »

Great win for the US Women's soccer team. Intense game to watch, though. I met up with a client at a Buffalo Wings place. Tremendous atmosphere. It seems quite a few people took off from work to watch it live. The US Women's team must now be viewed as the favorite in the final on Sunday, whether it is against the Netherlands or Sweden.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1989 on: July 02, 2019, 10:58:38 PM »

that's why you trade for yasiel puig
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1990 on: July 03, 2019, 12:20:20 AM »

Great win for the US Women's soccer team. Intense game to watch, though. I met up with a client at a Buffalo Wings place. Tremendous atmosphere. It seems quite a few people took off from work to watch it live. The US Women's team must now be viewed as the favorite in the final on Sunday, whether it is against the Netherlands or Sweden.

USWNT have been the favorite to win the World Cup all along. They’re just heavier favorites now.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1991 on: July 03, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »

I personally don't have a problem with Morgan doing the fake tea drink think.  But technically, it's not good sportsmanship.  Like there's celebrations that "Yay! I'm happy!"  and then there's celebrations that are like "In your face!"  When your celebration addresses something about the other team, it's the latter. 

It's not something to get worked up over, or worth a yellow card.  But yes, if I were England I would be a little pissed.  It's a 100% a dick move.  It's just not dickish enough to warrant anything other than England's gonna remember that and try and make you pay.

So, I think people complaining about this are being stupid.  I also think it's mainly right wingers who would normally be 100% behind such a troll move, except that Rapinoe won't sing the anthem so now suddenly the whole team lacks class.

But people are like "Oh, it was her birthday.  Cut her some slack."  And that's more annoying to me than the cries of bad sportsmanship.  It being your birthday is never an excuse for anything shitty.  The whole point of sportsmanship is you don't do something you want to do, out of respect for the opposition. 

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1992 on: July 03, 2019, 10:12:20 AM »

Unless your opponent's coach calls you arrogant and unsportsmanlike in the run-up to the game, in which case, fuck 'em.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1993 on: July 03, 2019, 10:58:48 AM »

Also, we were hanging out on Saturday and the Red Sox-Yankees game in London was the TV. The Yankees were winning 17-6 and my friend asked, "Are the Yankees supposed to stop trying now, or does that only apply to women?"

https://www.espn.com/mlb/recap?gameId=401075971

I agreed with her point.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1994 on: July 03, 2019, 12:25:43 PM »

Unless your opponent's coach calls you arrogant and unsportsmanlike in the run-up to the game, in which case, fuck 'em.

Exactly.  England got a little trash-talky, US got them back.  I think the whole thing is silly but this is one case where I agree that if this happens in any men's sport we wouldn't be talking about it.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 137   Go Up