Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 117876 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #1995 on: July 03, 2019, 02:11:27 PM »

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2019/7/3/20680668/arrogance-england-united-states-world-cup

It is a near-universal truth of the English sporting summer: whatever the sport and however England are doing, someone else must be doing things not quite right.

This tends to emerge first in the weirder corners of the press, but it seeps out into the world from there, so that even purportedly sensible people wind up pondering it.

Which is why your correspondent, a good and faithful disciple of the British press, took to the stands in Lyon last night wondering just how the United Statesí all-consuming problem of ďarroganceĒ might manifest on the pitch. It had to be true. It was in the Daily Mail and everything.

And then, nothing. Not a smidge. Just lots and lots of brilliant football, a few shredded nerves, and the eventual triumph of an exceptional team over a merely really good one.

Itís a funny thing, arrogance. Itís as much a question of perception as intention, which means that if you go looking for it, then suddenly itís everywhere.

It's a good point.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1996 on: July 03, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »

Also, we were hanging out on Saturday and the Red Sox-Yankees game in London was the TV. The Yankees were winning 17-6 and my friend asked, "Are the Yankees supposed to stop trying now, or does that only apply to women?"

Yeah... if the Yankees were to showboat after an HR or try and steal a base against the Red Sox while up 17-6, Aaron Judge is getting beaned next time up.  Guaranteed. 

So your friend clearly knows nothing about sports. Obviously.  Because she's a woman.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1997 on: July 03, 2019, 07:28:57 PM »

Sure Aaron Judge get beaned, but they wouldn't have stopped!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1998 on: July 07, 2019, 12:13:30 AM »

Are you ready for the Women's World Cup final? I am getting together with several friends. The game is a strange 5 pm kickoff in France, meaning 11 am here... By all means, the US ladies should beat the Dutch. If not, I'll never hear the end of it from my sister, who lives in the Netherlands for over 3 decades, totally "Dutchiefied" (as she is from Belgium, like me of course).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #1999 on: July 07, 2019, 10:01:19 PM »

USWNT owe it all to an English coach.

Oh, and 6 referees looked at that incident that wasnít a penalty and declared it a penalty.

I fucking DESPISE VAR. Such a shitty media-driven addition to the beautiful game, slows it down and allows no-one to truly celebrate.
Opulence. I has it.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #2000 on: July 08, 2019, 07:53:14 AM »

That, or maybe talent, dedication, drive, training, conditioning, team chemistry, tactics, nerves, scouting, etc might have had something to do with their success.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #2001 on: July 08, 2019, 08:05:46 AM »

That, or maybe talent, dedication, drive, training, conditioning, team chemistry, tactics, nerves, scouting, etc might have had something to do with their success.

Nah.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #2002 on: July 08, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »

Oh, and 6 referees looked at that incident that wasnít a penalty and declared it a penalty.

If you're talking about that penalty that England got at 2-1 where they missed the PK, I totally agree that wasn't a penalty, but it all worked out.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2003 on: July 08, 2019, 11:42:45 PM »

I don't know what you mean. It was a clear foul that would've been called immediately anywhere on the pitch besides the penalty box, so thankfully VAR intervened.

I mean, the Dutch girl didn't get anywhere near the ball, had her leg high up and kicked Alex Morgan HARD in the upper shoulder. A bad break for Holland, for sure, but a clear foul
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2004 on: July 09, 2019, 05:07:46 PM »

Dutch high kick is a penalty.  I have no problem with that.  I don't think there was any intent to injure, but it's dangerous and reckless.  No contact is even necessary for that to be a foul.  Also, it's a yellow card.  And as far as I'm concerned any tackle that merits a yellow card for being dangerous in the penalty box warrants a PK.

The PK England got was also correct.  Again there is no intent to injure.  And in this case, I'm not sure it was even very dangerous.  It's unfortunate, but the English player was clipped.  And right at the point where she was shooting, and had a pretty high chance of scoring.  So I mean... it was denial of a goal scoring opportunity.  I'm not sure how I feel about unintentional denial of goal scoring opportunities meriting a PK or even whether denial of clear goal scoring opportunity should even be a thing.  But I get it. I think no matter what policy you choose you're going to have situations where someone is unfairly punished or someone gets away with something they shouldn't.  But at least in this individual case the decision felt fair.  They were about to score, now they get another chance.

What they need to decide is if any miniscule foul in the penalty area actually merits a penalty kick.  Some of these fouls are so tiny that they would not be called at all anywhere else in the pitch.  They're only turning into PK's because they are VAR reviewed and someone dives.  My feeling is if someone barely touches you while you're trying to dribble around to purposely draw a foul because you're unlikely to score directly that shouldn't be a PK.  Maybe an indirect free kick, or a direct free kick with a wall.  But that's a rules fix that needs to happen, not something that VAR addresses.

I know I'm a broken record on this, but the problem is not VAR but how they insist on using VAR.  It really does not matter that much if someone was 1 inch offside.  They really didn't gain any advantage from that one inch.  It's just a close play where the fundamental problem was poor defending.  They weren't *trying* to be 1 inch offside.  It's largely a matter of luck and timing that they ended up 1 inch offside instead of 1 inch onside and it wouldn't have made a difference either way.

But it matters much more, if because you are using VAR to review all offside calls so you can be inch accurate inch that you don't blow the whistle on offside and defenders have to play as if everyone was onside even if they are offside by five yards.

It also probably doesn't matter if a ball barely grazes someone's hand when you blasted it right at them vs if that person used their hands to make themselves bigger and gain an advantage.

It's just stupid.  We are letting referees determine clear goal scoring opportunities, ball to hand, offside advantage which are much more important, and which referees SUCK at doing tremendously.  But we're coupling that with VAR so every little touch or minor thing is potentially a foul.

The whole point of VAR to me is that we can stop play and have some other eyes look at the play and provide a second opinion to the linesmen and officials who have to make calls quickly and concentrate on so many things as once.  Not to use technology to watch things in slow-motion and measure things to microfractions of an inch.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:42:04 PM by Zafer Kaya »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2005 on: July 09, 2019, 10:57:36 PM »

The whole point of VAR to me is that we can stop play and have some other eyes look at the play and provide a second opinion to the linesmen and officials who have to make calls quickly and concentrate on so many things as once.  Not to use technology to watch things in slow-motion and measure things to microfractions of an inch.
Yes, VAR is exactly the reason we have and need it. The refs on the field can't possibly see everything. I really like how it played out in the Women's final, and not because it benefited the US. There was a missed call, VAR intervened, and within a minute or so, it was resolved.

I get CR's point that it disrupts the flow of the game, but it is more important to get it right. And I also get CR's point that these VAR interventions shouldn't take minutes and minutes, which I totally agree with.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2006 on: July 10, 2019, 12:21:09 AM »

It worked in the finals, but it was terrible the vast majority of the tournament.  So I can see both sides to the argument.

Itís like in golf.  With the use of super slow-mo, they can see if a golfer moved the ball or hit it twice.  That isnít inherently a problem.  At some point, a rule is a rule and even if you did not mean to do it, we need to draw a line somewhere.  But hereís the thingó because the golfer hit the ball twice and did not record the stroke/penalty, then they signed an incorrect scorecard and they are disqualified.  That is way to harsh and generally a stupid punishment for a golfer who in real time has no way to record the right score because they genuinely have no idea they did anything wrong.

Itís the same thing in soccer.  The rules were not written with VAR in mind.  Therefore, if you are going to use it, you need to revisit and rewrite the rules.  Should a minimal amount of contact that is really only visible in slow motion and magnified 3x really result in a penalty kick?  Iíd argue no.  And there is also nothing in the laws of the game that says you have to call that a foul.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2007 on: July 10, 2019, 11:51:50 PM »

Itís the same thing in soccer.  The rules were not written with VAR in mind.  Therefore, if you are going to use it, you need to revisit and rewrite the rules.  Should a minimal amount of contact that is really only visible in slow motion and magnified 3x really result in a penalty kick?  Iíd argue no.  And there is also nothing in the laws of the game that says you have to call that a foul.
But the point is: do you wanna get it right? Video technology today isn't what it was 20-40-60 years ago, so now we have a chance to review a missed call. I'm all for it.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #2008 on: August 01, 2019, 05:06:50 PM »

It hit me today that I'm a legitimately proud Cincinnatian when I realized that, on the same day that the Reds beat down Pittsburgh, Cleveland got stuck with Puig's suspension. I might as well be typing this with Grippo dust all over my keyboard.  Sports. It's weird.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #2009 on: August 03, 2019, 12:10:52 AM »

It hit me today that I'm a legitimately proud Cincinnatian when I realized that, on the same day that the Reds beat down Pittsburgh, Cleveland got stuck with Puig's suspension. I might as well be typing this with Grippo dust all over my keyboard.  Sports. It's weird.

hilarious.  i'll miss puig.  oh how can the pirates be such terrible sports?  i personally like it.  adds a bit more legitimacy between the ohio river rivalry (since i don't think the steelers really care about us.  more annoying than anything.  but i still always get up for steeler games.... if the bengals are any good.  not that much of a diehard i suppose).  just wish that big east was back together, even if it meant we were stuck with cronin

it certainly isn't a healthy rivalry.  which makes it better
poach eggs, not elephants
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135   Go Up