Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 129469 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #2025 on: October 09, 2019, 09:47:14 AM »

For me it's not about the money, it's about the fact that I really don't care about "streaming" on my phone or my computer. And I haven't figured out streaming on my TV.

Dude, you've got two kids who are of an age to know ALL ABOUT streaming. And if you have wifi at home, it would be simple to set it up with your television using a cheapo Roku. Seriously. I'm actually surprised you don't already own a smart TV (which has streaming technology built in) but smart or not a Roku is easy-peasy to set up.

And then the world is your oyster.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2026 on: October 09, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »

The Browns had three concerns going into the season, according to local fans.

A) Offensive Line ... didn't look too good.
B) Freddie Kitchens is a first year coach and while we are all happy with him, he is still unproven
C) It all hinges on Baker playing like he did the 2nd half of 2018. If he either doesn't live up to that, or he gets injured, then it all collapses.

I don't think Kitchens is that great a coach... but he doesn't suck.  Similarly, I don't think Mayfield is as good as he looked last year, but I also think that he's probably at least pretty good.  Not hall of fame good, but top ten, possibly top five.  He's good enough to put up fantastic numbers with the receiving core he has.

But a team with a bad offensive line is just so brutal to watch.  It doesn't matter how good your coach or QB is at play calling, or how good your skill position players are.  Nothing is going to work.  And then it just drags down the whole team because the coach and QB start doing stupid things in desperation.

OBJ is so good, it's not like you even have to wait for him to be open or Mayfield has to look off corners or read the backup routes or whatever.  Just run a play that involves him streaking downfield in some way, give it two and a half seconds, and just fling the ball in his general direction.  OBJ will go up and get it regardless of coverage or ball placement or you will draw a pass interference more often than not.  The Browns can't even buy Mayfield that two and a half seconds.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2027 on: October 09, 2019, 03:55:11 PM »

The Browns traded their best lineman....for OBJ. It was bound to go downhill when they did that.

Alex Mack was an awesome lineman...and he bolted as soon as he could.
Joe Thomas was a legendary lineman...but he could only last so long.
Zeitler was traded for OBJ.

If there's one thing the Browns have had the guts to invest in over the years, it was the O-line. It's too bad it's weak now when everything else seems to be good. I suspect they will focus on it in the coming off-season, but there's only so much you can do until then.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2028 on: October 09, 2019, 04:06:18 PM »

They could give Chubb 20+ carries a game.  Their run-blocking appears to be not as bad, or else Chubb is just that good.  Maybe a little of both.

They let the 49ers get too big a lead too early on Monday, so that kind forced them to throw but I think they could have stuck with the run game a little longer than they did.

Although I think you're right that the O-line is just too lousy for them to do a whole lot this season.  I think they are better off not trying to alter their whole philosophy, but to stick with it and see who gets better and then fix remaining holes next year.

But they also need to be careful that Mayfield doesn't develop bad habits because he's scrambling for his life all the time or that he doesn't get hurt.  You also don't want Chubb to take too much of a pounding.  So it's just kind of trying to stick to your plan but balance it out a bit so no one gets killed.  They did a good job against the Ravens.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2029 on: October 10, 2019, 09:05:22 AM »

This is ... intriguing?

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1182031572557602817

I wonder if it's true?

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #2030 on: October 10, 2019, 11:17:56 AM »

sigh.  go nats.  the cards will forever take it in the pujols.  poor kershaw.  i don't get it.  he just can't get it done.  and one of the best ever

all the teams i was rooting for crap out early.  since i'm partial to that area of the country, i was all in on a twinkie/crew world series (imagine the ratings!).  the a's were my consolation.  now i want to see a 'stros/nats ws.   the astros are a fun team.  my feelings aside, the yanks are gonna pummel

in other news, i said it at the beginning of the year.  trevor lawrence shoulda redshirted this year and gone pro the following 
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2031 on: October 21, 2019, 02:28:51 PM »

I find it amusing how in the span of less than half a season the question for Bears fans has gone from "Can we win with Trubisky?" to "How can we win without Trubisky?"

If you were some how time-ported from July of this year to now, you might think "Wow, that's great!  Trubisky has been so good and become so indispensible the Bears are wondering if they can win without him."

But really, it's that Trubisky has sucked so bad that the original question is not even worth debating anymore.  No, they cannot win with Trubisky.  And the second question is coming up because people are no longer sure of the rest of the team.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #2032 on: October 22, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »

The Bengals and their fans are hilarious.  If I went into a coma in 1992 and woke up in 2019, I'd be able to hang in a conversation with the people complaining about Mike Brown.  Sure, I might mix up Harold Green with Joe Mixon or Dave Shula with Zac Taylor, but I'd otherwise easily be able to jump right in.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2033 on: October 23, 2019, 04:41:06 PM »

Do we miss Marvin Lewis yet?

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #2034 on: October 24, 2019, 03:50:00 PM »

I definitely think his reputation will improve with time because people have short memories and have already seen articles asking the same thing.  For me, he stayed in that job too long and was at the helm when worst things about the Lost Decade started to creep back.  It's really a tale of two Marvins: 1) the one that changed the culture of losing for a time 2) the one who held no one accountable, couldn't win when it counted and couldn't figure out how to improve upon mistakes.  If he had stuck around this season, the Bengals would still suck, but maybe be 2-5 or 3-4 with the same bleak future.  At least when they go 1-15, they'll get a top 3 draft pick.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2035 on: October 24, 2019, 05:14:49 PM »

I stopped watching the Bengals on TV after the third week this season. Sure I'll check the score in the evening. Then I saw the following tagline under this past weekend's final score: "Bengals start season 0-7 for the 7th time in their history, most in the NFL". That really, truly says it all right there, does't it?

I mean, I remember that in the late 80s the Patriots, yes, THOSE Patriots, were the NFL's laughingstock for a while. And quite a few other teams over the years too. But has there been any team in the NFL that has been so bad for so long and/or so often? Still Mike Brown claims with a straight face that "yes, we want and expect to win the Super Bowl". If it weren't that Brown behaves like a civilized person, he'd be no different than Trump. Sheer incompetence. Lies, lies, lies. Never admit defeat. Never apologize. Simply plow on.

We used to go to 1 or 2 (or sometimes even 3) games a year at PBS, just because, you know? After the 2017 (when inexplicably Brown extended Marvin's contract), my son and I decided "enough is enough", and that we were done subsidizing Mike Brown: no games, no merch, and now, no TV. It's the only way I can express my displeasure with the state of affairs. So yes, I'm a fair weather fan par excellence. If they ever play well again (as they did for a few years in the early 10s), I'll gladly return to the fold. Until then, nada.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2036 on: October 24, 2019, 05:22:20 PM »

Do we miss Marvin Lewis yet?
Under any ownership other than Mike Brown, Lewis would've been fired after 4 years (after the disappointing 2006 season).

By sheer happenstance/competent drafting, Lewis had the keys to the best Bengals teams in 20 years (in 2011), making the playoffs 5 years in a row, with the 2015 team going 12-4 and looking to make a run for the Super Bowl. Instead they lost for the 5th straight year in their playoff opening game (something no other NFL team has ever done before or since, I might add).

So do I miss Marvin Lewis? Not in a million years. Should've been fired YEARS ago.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #2037 on: October 24, 2019, 06:32:24 PM »

I mean, I remember that in the late 80s the Patriots, yes, THOSE Patriots, were the NFL's laughingstock for a while. And quite a few other teams over the years too. But has there been any team in the NFL that has been so bad for so long and/or so often?

counterpoint: the Detroit lions.
name another team where two, TWO, Hall of Famers retire early just to get away from the franchise.

but i agree with your premise. moving from cincy to detroit with both franchises being such a disgrace has made it easy to ignore the nfl over the years.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2038 on: October 25, 2019, 12:18:48 PM »

The Cleveland Browns share your misery, except that the Browns haven't had the successes to go with the misery. It's just been failures. Things were looking up this year, but at 2-4 and about to play the undefeated reigning champions, it's hard to think they can even have a respectable season anymore.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #2039 on: October 27, 2019, 03:59:45 PM »

I've discovered in the past 2 days that I can't really watch soccer when I'm on the treadmill.  Yesterday  the Chelsea/Burnley and today  the Liverpool/Tottenham matches were on the TV at the gym.  I was watching them, and I discovered that I tense my body up as if I'm going to trap the ball, and a couple of times, I actually went to kick...lol.  So I have to look away fairly often so as not to get involved in the match. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137   Go Up