Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 78796 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #1650 on: June 15, 2017, 11:09:12 AM »

Hello, MLS, are you taking notice?

Sure they are, but do you want to pay for another stadium?  My understanding is that MLS expects teams to have their own, non-shared, stadium.
Atlanta United is sharing a stadium with the Atlanta Falcons. Of course, that stadium isn't even completed yet. They've been using GA Tech's stadium for homes games so far.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1651 on: June 15, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »

FC Cincinnati (one of 3 lower league teams left in the round of 16) hosts the Chicago Fire in the next round of the US Open Cup, set for June 28. Bring it on!!

C-lando, will the new stadium be grass or artificial turf? (I'm quite certain that Atlanta United is one of the last new teams, if not the very last, to be able to play in a non-soccer specific stadium. MLS is adamant about it now.)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #1652 on: June 15, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »

FC Cincinnati (one of 3 lower league teams left in the round of 16) hosts the Chicago Fire in the next round of the US Open Cup, set for June 28. Bring it on!!

C-lando, will the new stadium be grass or artificial turf? (I'm quite certain that Atlanta United is one of the last new teams, if not the very last, to be able to play in a non-soccer specific stadium. MLS is adamant about it now.)
The playing surface at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium will be FieldTurf's Revolution 360 surface.

http://www.fieldturf.com/en/products/revolution-360-the-complete-fiber
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1653 on: June 15, 2017, 01:47:47 PM »

Atlanta got away with it because they are getting a new stadium that was built with MLS in mind.  They aren't just being like glommed on to an already existing football or "all-purpose" stadium.

When they did the plans for the new stadium, they designed it with curtains that come down to shut off the upper part of the bowl, and they can move the lower bowl seats back to allow for a wider field and also brings those seats closer to the action.  It has a retractable roof.

I think that MLS is probably amenable to other situations like this.  Because the requirements for a football and US soccer stadium aren't really that different.  And if soccer takes off like they hope it will, you would need 40 or 50k seats or more.  Which no one is likely to build for a soccer-only stadium at this point.

So IF the Bengals wanted to move from Paul Brown Stadium, I think Cincinnati could still use the lure of a new stadium in a bid for an MLS franchise, provided they can show that the stadium would be a cool place for a soccer match that just also happens to be useful for football.

I mean, beggars can't be choosers.  MLS wants to expand, and there aren't that many places willing to build a soccer-only facility.  Or if they did, the soccer-only facility would actually be crappier than a multi-purpose facility because the NFL teams have way more pull and more $$.

I also don't think they care that much about artificial turf.  When they are putting down temporary artificial turf on hard surfaces or cheap-ass old turf it's a problem.  But the new artificial turf they have, when used in areas specifically designed for it, is better than crappy natural turf that dies in the summer or can't grow in winter and then you are playing on dirt.  It's why NFL teams use it as well.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1654 on: June 17, 2017, 11:46:31 PM »

was at the FCC game tonight with several friends. Another great evening all around, even if the game (vs. Charleston) ended in a 2-2 tie, but the atmosphere was great all around. Over 21,000 in attendance. A shame FCC has to move away from Nippert stadium in order to get MLS status, the place is perfect as it is. FCC is getting higher attendance at Nippert than the MLS Columbus Crew. Think about that....
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1655 on: June 29, 2017, 12:46:45 AM »

Was at the FCC-Chicago Fire game tonight with a friend. One of the best sporting events in Cincinnati in recent memory, right up there with watching the baseball All Star home run derby a few years ago, just unbelievable. Nippert Stadium was electric throughout the game (with over 32,000 in attendance). By all means Chicago should've won, certainly in the first half, but FCC got better as the game went on. An FCC goal was wrongly disallowed deep into extra time, so it went into penalty kicks. And then it was "Mitch says no" time. Wow, just wow.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1656 on: July 09, 2017, 10:35:41 PM »

Another day, another FCC game.

FCC vs. ZK's Richmond Kickers. Djiby scores for FCC in the 3rd minute of the game. FCC dominating all the way, but the guess what, Richmond's goalie makes one incredible safe after another, just wow. So the game stayed closed even though it should be a blow-out. FCC got a PK in the 90th min. to finally put things away, 2-0.

Over 21,000 in attendance.

ZK, have you been to one of the Kickers' home games? Just curious.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1657 on: July 10, 2017, 01:00:50 PM »

ZK, have you been to one of the Kickers' home games? Just curious.

I have been too busy to go this season, but I guess I average about 1-2 games a year. 

Attendance is decent, and rising.  They sometimes outdraw our AA minor league team.  They play in City Stadium, which the ex-stadium for the University of Richmond football team.  It's a little old but otherwise decent enough. 

They just signed a deal with the city where they have committed to $20 million in upgrades.  Which seems kind of crazy, but they probably can pull it off.  Their big backer is from a rich family that is beloved in the city and known for donating generously to local projects and sports.  He's also the greatest player in the history of the team.  So the money will probably be there.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1658 on: July 12, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »

Was at the FCC-Chicago Fire game tonight with a friend. One of the best sporting events in Cincinnati in recent memory, right up there with watching the baseball All Star home run derby a few years ago, just unbelievable. Nippert Stadium was electric throughout the game (with over 32,000 in attendance). By all means Chicago should've won, certainly in the first half, but FCC got better as the game went on. An FCC goal was wrongly disallowed deep into extra time, so it went into penalty kicks. And then it was "Mitch says no" time. Wow, just wow.

i saw the highlights of that goal taken away, why'd they do that?
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1659 on: July 12, 2017, 01:31:26 PM »

i saw the highlights of that goal taken away, why'd they do that?
Assistant ref flagged for off-side, but the replay showed that the FCC player was narrowly on-side.

Honestly, there are so many close on-side/off-side situations, I am pleasantly surprised that the refs don't blow it more often. Yes, you read right. In real time, these plays go bam-bam and the ref has a fraction to decide. How the refs can keep an eye on the location of the football as the pass is launched AND at the very same time on the player to whom the pass is kicked, I've no idea, in particular with deep passes.

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111]   Go Up