Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 116   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 80795 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #1665 on: August 10, 2017, 10:51:33 AM »

Euro, do you have the scoop on Juan Pablo Torres?   Will he play?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1666 on: August 10, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »

ZK, he was on the bench for Lokeren's first two games, but did not play.

With the new (old) coach in town, it's impossible to tell what's going to happen. I do know that the previous coach (the Icelander who just got fired) had bought several players that he specifically wanted. We'll have to see in the next few weeks how all of that will shake out.

Lokeren's next 3 games are all against so-called weak teams who are also in the relegation danger zone, and two of those games are home games. I'd say they really need to get 6 points from those games. I'll be on vacation in Belgium later this month, and will be at the Lokeren home game on 26th August (against Eupen, statistically the only team yet worse than Lokeren after 2 games--a MUST WIN).   
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1667 on: August 20, 2017, 11:40:08 PM »

ZK, for the record, Torres was again on the bench for yesterday's Lokeren game, but did not play again.

More important, Lokeren won their first match of the year, an away game in the local derby no less. I feel so much better!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1668 on: September 12, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »

You know what's pretty great? The Cleveland Indians' win streak. It's silly, but awesome.

19 wins as of now!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1669 on: October 10, 2017, 12:32:49 PM »

I really want Zeke Elliot to take a knee during the anthem and then immediately drop his appeal.

What happens then?  Does Jones suspend a player who is already suspended?  Do liberals watch the Cowboys in a show of solidarity for kneeling, even though they would be showing solidarity with a guy who beat his gf and the team owner is a Trump fan?  Do conservatives watch the Cowboys in a show of solidarity with Jones even though his team defied his orders and knelt, and it would mean possibly watching some other team kneel?

The best part is, the Cowboys' next game is against SF.  So it's pretty much the Dallas Standers vs the SF Kneelers.  If you are supporter of kneeling or not kneeling you already no idea whether to watch the game.  Elliot kneeling would just be the chaos cherry on top.

What would be even more awesome would be if Elliot were to state that he is kneeling to pray because he believes in God before country. 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1670 on: October 10, 2017, 12:49:46 PM »

it's pretty silly that this apparently affects player's performance.  i think it was the ravens game a few weeks ago
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1671 on: October 10, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »

I said last year I would root for the Indians over the Cubs if they met up in the WS.

I'm realizing now I just can't make that leap.  I can say that I won't be disappointed if the Cubs lose, and I will be very happy for Cleveland if they win.  And that in the abstract, Cleveland deserves the win and it's like, a more moral outcome if they get it.

But actually sitting their watching the game like "Yeah Bryant, stink it up!"  I can't do it.  If the Cubs are up in the series, I can root for Lackey to suck but even then I can't root for the Cubs as a whole to lose.  And that's as far as I can go. 

So.. Go Indians Sort Of!

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #1672 on: October 11, 2017, 08:27:18 AM »

So.. Go Indians Sort Of!

Good enough for Dan.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1673 on: October 11, 2017, 09:27:29 AM »

We need all the help we can get for tonight.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1674 on: October 13, 2017, 02:11:07 PM »

Oh boring! Arena is officially hired. Like, really? You couldn't come up with someone new? Seriously - why use retreads?

Blargh

Arena quits! Hooray!
I suppose we will see if Steve Sampson is interested?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1675 on: October 13, 2017, 04:24:18 PM »

Bora.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1676 on: October 17, 2017, 10:33:40 PM »

Looks like the Columbus Crew is done in Columbus

http://www.espnfc.us/club/columbus-crew-sc/183/blog/post/3232010/columbus-fighting-an-uphill-battle-with-austin-to-retain-crew-in-mls

Sucks for Columbus, but it clearly improves the chances of FCC moving up to the MLS by miles.

Sorry Columbus, go FCC!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1677 on: October 18, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »

If anything, I think it hurts Cincinnati.

The owner is moving because he wants a fancy new stadium.  Even though they already have a soccer-specific fairly new stadium.  You all do not have a fancy new stadium.

Also, their attendance sucked which may cause people to believe that area is not a good one for soccer.    They would be wrong to equate Cincinnati and Columbus, but that doesn't mean someone won't do it.

Columbus being relatively close was neither a plus or a minus.  It was maybe a minus in that it could conceivably split fans.  But it was also maybe a plus in that in made for a "rivalry."  And MLS and MLS fans love nothing more than a fake rivalry so they can have a "crew" and make stupid tifos because that's how they think soccer works.  It was also a plus in that two teams in the same area is convenient for scheduling.  If Columbus moves, there would be no teams anywhere close to Cincinnati, which means bigger travel expenses.

I dunno.  Why would anyone want an MLS team?  It's shit soccer, played by shit teams, run by a shit organization.  Seems like a massive waste of tax payer money. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1678 on: October 18, 2017, 10:49:35 AM »

ZK, do you have any opinion on this? Oh wait....  ;)

As it happens, I disagree with most of what you write there, but that doesn't mean diddley either, as it's simply my subjective opinion against your subjective opinion.

Anyway, we'll see over time how it all plays out.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1679 on: October 18, 2017, 11:09:10 AM »

you know a sport has half assed support when they can't even call it by it's real name
poach eggs, not elephants
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 116   Go Up