Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 116   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 80767 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #1680 on: October 18, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »

Can't even agree on what to call it within the same league.  The league name is MLS, the clubs are often named "FC". 

I tried to get into MLS once, and really couldn't.  And I will watch Cricket and Rugby with two teams I've never heard of before.

I mark my calendar for the Darts World Championships.  I watched Professional Kabaddi the other night.  The bar is very low for me.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1681 on: October 18, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »

if i had the means, i'd watch mls with great interest because i have no idea what good soccer is supposed to look like
poach eggs, not elephants

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #1682 on: October 18, 2017, 02:54:07 PM »

I watched Professional Kabaddi the other night. 

Just Goggled the sport "Kabaddi". May never exit the Google Image wormhole.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1683 on: October 18, 2017, 04:41:45 PM »

ZK, do you have any opinion on this? Oh wait....  ;)

As it happens, I disagree with most of what you write there, but that doesn't mean diddley either, as it's simply my subjective opinion against your subjective opinion.

Anyway, we'll see over time how it all plays out.

Don't get me wrong.  I think soccer is a growing sport, and that Cincinnati will be able to sustain a team. 

It's expanding too quickly.  The expansion teams are pretty awful.  We did not qualify for the WC, which is not exactly going to make people want to watch soccer in general.  And on top of that, I'm not sure the major pro leagues can sustain the number of teams they have right now.  In the face of all that, MLS wants to expand to 28 teams?

Also, is MLS supposed to exist as a feeder club/training league for the USMNT?  Or is it supposed to grow the appeal of the sport?  Or is it just a professional league with no other obligation than to attract $$?  No one has decided.

The structure of MLS, and really every USSF league is just completely messed up right now.  It's all a mess.  So to me, you are better off not rushing to climb aboard a sinking ship.  Let them get everything straightened out first.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1684 on: October 18, 2017, 05:40:53 PM »

I hear what you're saying, ZK, but I think you miss a very important point. MLS or USL (the 2nd tier league where FCC now is) is not really about soccer, or sport. If it is strictly that, then I agree it probably won't be successful.

When FCC started its first year in 2016, I was extremely skeptical. Just like your average Euro football snob. The level of play is suspect. I always love telling this story: this year's big man for FCC is Djibi. I mean, he is a STAR. You look at his career, and he's a journey man. He even played briefly for my Belgian team Lokeren. They ditched him after 7 games or so. Yet here he is the MAN. So if it's strictly about that, the I'd pass too.

But going to an FCC game has become a favorite pastime for me. It's spring or summer, you go to a bar before the game, hang out with friends, do some people-watching, etc. And oh yes, you go to the game. Along with 20,000+ others. Atmosphere is great. What's not to enjoy?

So I think you are wrong that this is a sinking ship. You may well be right that there is a bubble waiting to burst as it relates to what it costs to land an MLS franchise. But people aren't going to stop going to the games. It's too much fun. So in the end, I've become a convert. I went to a good number of games this year (more than half). I'm getting season tickets for 2018.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1685 on: October 18, 2017, 09:54:30 PM »

Can't even agree on what to call it within the same league.  The league name is MLS, the clubs are often named "FC". 

Isn’t the FC in Cincinnati actually “Futbol Club?”  What is the Hispanic population there, like 5%?  So yeah, really lame.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1686 on: October 18, 2017, 10:17:03 PM »

But going to an FCC game has become a favorite pastime for me. It's spring or summer, you go to a bar before the game, hang out with friends, do some people-watching, etc. And oh yes, you go to the game. Along with 20,000+ others. Atmosphere is great. What's not to enjoy?

There is nothing not to enjoy.  And you can win USL every year, and even have a good chance at the Cup.

Or, you can plunk down $150m on a stadium to join a failing league, where you will be bad because you are not an attractive destination for the international stars, and I doubt that calling yourself a “futbol club” is quite enough to tilt the scales and land Chicharito.

Seriously, why mess up a good thing?  You are drawing 20k fans in a league where 5k is a good crowd. 

But whatever.  If you bankroll the stadium you will get a club for sure. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1687 on: October 18, 2017, 10:48:15 PM »

by coincidence, I went to the Cincinnati chapter of the ACG (Association of Corporate Growth--it's a national group of lawyers, bankers, accountants, you get the idea) event tonight where Jeff Berding (President and GM of FCC) was the featured speaker. He gave a very interesting 45 min. presentation of what FCC is about and wants to accomplish.

What I got out of it is that FCC is laser-sharped into getting in to MLS. At the Q&A session, I asked him to what extent the turmoils at the Columbus Crew would effect FCC's bid. His response? "We are presenting our bid on our own merits, period."

If FCC can work out a stadium deal, FCC is getting an MLS franchise, I have no doubt. But can they get a stadium deal worked out with (OH) Hamilton County or Northern Kentucky? Berding said this: "We want to give Ohio all the opportunity, but if we need to do it in Northern Kentucky, we will. We are already on the 20 yard line." (For those outside of the area, the NKY space that is mentioned is right across the river from the Reds stadium.)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1688 on: October 19, 2017, 12:39:39 AM »

Tell him to pay for the stadium himself and then he can put it wherever he wants.  He has the money.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #1689 on: October 19, 2017, 07:16:14 AM »

So instead of drinking with 50 people at your favorite bar, you are drinking with 20,000 people in an open-air stadium and singing songs (the same 5 songs over and over).  Great.

Is it worth literally hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars for the ability to do so?  I am hoping Columbus says "no it is not".

I would be fine if Cincinnati decided the same the next time either the Reds or Bengals try to pull their shit, regardless of my allegiance.  I can do something else with my time. If the city of Cincinnati agrees to fund even a dollar of a soccer stadium (not talking cooperation with easements or parking, but paying for any construction), then they are a bunch of idiots.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1690 on: October 19, 2017, 10:53:47 PM »

isn't passed time to accept that people love everything about stadiums (except going to them in many cases)?  they love the idea of getting one because that old one was too old.  it just isn't new.  what they love anything more than getting a new stadium is seeing the old one being blown to shit. 
poach eggs, not elephants

Paco

• Summer Resident
« Reply #1691 on: October 22, 2017, 05:45:49 PM »

The F1 American Grand Prix in Texas today was racing at its finest. Hamilton owns that track. Too bad Verstappens' last turn pass was deemed illegal, costing him a 3rd place podium finish.
It also reinforced to me how stupid and boring NASCAR is, but I knew that already.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:49:29 PM by Paco »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1692 on: October 23, 2017, 11:26:50 PM »

After this weekend's play in the Belgian Juliper Pro League, 6 managers have now been sacked, out of 16 teams, so far. Wow, just wow. It is a cut-throat business. It seems that by comparison the English Premier League is quite cozy for managers, even with Koeman's departure.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #1693 on: October 24, 2017, 03:57:42 PM »

I watched Professional Kabaddi the other night. 

Just Goggled the sport "Kabaddi". May never exit the Google Image wormhole.

x2
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #1694 on: October 26, 2017, 09:48:24 AM »

So I'm watching Game 2 of the World Series, and thinking about how much Foolsgold and I both despise the Houston Astros. I mean, I hate them more than the Yankees, Cubs and Red Sox. Must be a by-product of growing up in Cincinnati in the 80s when they kept beating the Reds.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 116   Go Up