Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 81161 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #1740 on: November 30, 2017, 01:03:22 AM »

There's a lot more to Australia than just Sydney.  :P
I may have mistakenly assumed you are in the Sydney area, apologies... So where are you then? The further west, of course the lesser the time difference

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #1741 on: November 30, 2017, 07:59:56 AM »

Yeah dude, there's like.... West Sydney.  New South Sydney.  It's a vast and varied place.

I think the real question is when does AFL start back up.

The games that actually count start in late March.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #1742 on: December 03, 2017, 11:26:09 AM »

Regarding the College Football Playoff:

Personally, I can't stand either Ohio State or Alabama, and so I was hoping that Wisconsin would win and knock both their sorry asses out. But since the committee will apparently have to choose, I hope they elect to go with Ohio State.

The reasons? Ohio State won their conference title. Yes, they have two losses to Alabama's one, but one of those was against a playoff team, and they had a much tougher schedule. Alabama had a creampuff schedule, and they lost to the strongest team on that schedule (Auburn).

Or maybe the committee will say "screw 'em both" and pick undefeated (and conference champ) Central Florida instead. Nah.

At any rate, I'm hoping for a Clemson/Georgia final. That's the game we deserve, and it would be a throwback to the early '80s.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1743 on: December 04, 2017, 03:47:14 PM »

You didn't get your wish.

From a personal standpoint, I was obviously rooting for OSU instead of 'Bama. I love OSU, and I hate 'Bama. So that's easy.

But from a neutral standpoint, I can't really be mad at the results. Both schools are football factories, and both schools have huge fanbases. Ohio State lost two games, though, one of which was to a school that finished 7-5. That's the difference. End of story. I saw some of both OSU losses and they looked TERRIBLE. No team that plays like that should be too upset about missing out on the Playoff. Want to be in the Playoff? Don't lose to Iowa.

I hope Clemson SMOKES Alabama. Then I hope for a good competitive title game.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1744 on: December 05, 2017, 12:41:52 AM »

After watching tonight's brutal, just outright brutal, Bengals-Steelers game, I can see why, as has been reported, more and more people are turned off by watching NFL games. I mean, it was off the charts.

As a Bengals fan, I am of course not happy that the Bengals didn't win, but who as a neutral spectator would "enjoy" this spectacle of condoned violence where bodies are carted off left and right? It seems to me it's gotten over the top, and I know for myself that watching this doesn't give a lot of "enjoyment:. I don't know how the NFL can change this (if it even wants to), but something has to change.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #1745 on: December 05, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »

You didn't get your wish.

From a personal standpoint, I was obviously rooting for OSU instead of 'Bama. I love OSU, and I hate 'Bama. So that's easy.

But from a neutral standpoint, I can't really be mad at the results. Both schools are football factories, and both schools have huge fanbases. Ohio State lost two games, though, one of which was to a school that finished 7-5. That's the difference. End of story. I saw some of both OSU losses and they looked TERRIBLE. No team that plays like that should be too upset about missing out on the Playoff. Want to be in the Playoff? Don't lose to Iowa.

I hope Clemson SMOKES Alabama. Then I hope for a good competitive title game.

Yeah, I can see the argument made for Alabama, but I tend to value the quality wins that Ohio State had over the bad loss. And I personally penalise Alabama for the lack of quality wins. And the fact that they didn't play at all last week, sitting at home while Ohio State went out and won the Big Ten title.

But it's pretty clear that the committee cares more about who you've lost to over who you've won against. Given the history of college football, where one mere loss could eliminate a team from championship contention in the pre-playoff era, that's not surprising. As more of a college basketball fan, I look at things through the prism where your tournament resume is all about "who did you beat?" and, of course, a conference championship is a golden ticket to the NCAA Tournament.

And, selfishly, I really want to see that Clemson/Georgia championship game. And that would have been a lot more likely had Clemson drawn Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl instead of Alabama.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1746 on: December 06, 2017, 09:55:50 AM »

And, selfishly, I really want to see that Clemson/Georgia championship game. And that would have been a lot more likely had Clemson drawn Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl instead of Alabama.

Hah! The truth comes out!

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #1747 on: December 06, 2017, 11:02:31 AM »

Did you not see the last paragraph of my previous post?

At any rate, I'm hoping for a Clemson/Georgia final. That's the game we deserve, and it would be a throwback to the early '80s.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1748 on: December 06, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »

Yeah, but I read it that as how your desires weren't related to hoping for OSU because they would be easier for Clemson to beat!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1749 on: December 07, 2017, 11:13:41 AM »

i love how the steelers view their rivalry with the bengals.  they have their cute one with the ravens where they pat each other on the butt.  they have to really hate playing us.  we're like that little brother who just refuses to accept his beatdown and mommy (roger goddell) just signs off on punishments.  i think it's great
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1750 on: December 07, 2017, 10:42:10 PM »

i love how the steelers view their rivalry with the bengals.  they have their cute one with the ravens where they pat each other on the butt.  they have to really hate playing us.  we're like that little brother who just refuses to accept his beatdown and mommy (roger goddell) just signs off on punishments.  i think it's great
sadly, I think you are right (but it is not great).

I am quite hopeful/certain that Marvin Lewis will not be back next year as the Bengals head coach. No idea who would be the next head coach, but hopefully it will be someone who can break this sad streak of futility. It is clear now that this had gotten into the Bengals' heads and someone needs to snap them out of it.

(Almost reminds me of the recent college Michigan-Ohio State streak, I think OSU has won 13 of the last 14? But don't quote me on that. And of course that hasn't featured the outright nastiness we've seen in the Pittsburgh-Cincinnati rivalry)

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #1751 on: December 08, 2017, 12:58:32 AM »

I guarantee you a lot of that nastiness will disappear once Vontaze Burfict does.

Not all of it, to be sure, but a lot. He is a shit-stirrer extraordinaire.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #1752 on: December 08, 2017, 07:45:17 AM »

I guarantee you a lot of that nastiness will disappear once Vontaze Burfict does.

Not all of it, to be sure, but a lot. He is a shit-stirrer extraordinaire.

He is basically giving the medicine that the Bengals had to take for the 90's and 2000's from the Steelers back to them, and they don't like it.  I wouldn't either.

Who needs their respect anyway, we're talking about a likely rapist.  Fuck that guy and their stupid towels.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1753 on: December 08, 2017, 10:06:41 AM »

believe it or not, but my wife danced with big ben during her oxford student days.  she would probably cringe now if she cared who he was.  i imagine her father still imagines 'what could have been.'  i always thought a great gift idea for a bengal fan would be terrible towel toilet paper.  or is it more of a hilarious gift for that steeler fan in your life?  i love vontaze.  i'd rather him be a bengal than have to face him.  and like i said in the past, he needs to constantly get suspended so his body can recover from his latest rampage

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1754 on: December 11, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »

anybody excited for the upcoming nfl draft? 
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118   Go Up