Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 128   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 90248 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #1860 on: April 25, 2018, 11:14:59 PM »

FCC

The fans will not be there Euro.

N.O.T.

$10 or so a ticket is why Nippert is abuzz with fans. The stadium has all the feels to make things work.

$30/$40/$50 a ticket and people will stay away.
The quality of football played is not worth $30/$40/$50 a pop.
It’s only just worth $10.

only time will tell, I suppose. I'm guessing fans will continue to flock, but that's just me

And those $10 tix at Nippert only cover a small area. Most tix are $20 and up...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1861 on: May 05, 2018, 11:07:01 PM »

Attended my first FCC game of the season tonight. Despite the less than favorable weather, somehow more than 22,000 were in attendance, wow.

"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1862 on: May 24, 2018, 10:01:46 AM »

The wait is (finally) over!!!

"Major announcement for FCC next Tuesday on Fountain Square"

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/soccer/fc-cincinnati/2018/05/24/fc-cincinnati-mls-expansion-don-garber-announcement-nashville-sacramento-detroit-miami/635835002/

See you soon, Atlanta United & Co.!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1863 on: June 04, 2018, 01:47:57 PM »

Joel McHale is a surprisingly good tennis player.

Either that, or he put an odd amount of research and training towards looking like a good tennis player on camera was utterly unimportant to the role and if anything detrimental because he was playing Chevy Chase, who I would expect to be maybe a decent club player at best.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #1864 on: June 09, 2018, 08:34:39 PM »

Yeah, let’s raise a glass to that local derby
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1865 on: June 09, 2018, 11:32:02 PM »

Yeah, let’s raise a glass to that local derby
CR, I'm sorry you don't seem to be enthusiastic about FCC going to MLS. As it happens, a sporting event in the US is about the "experience", and at that level FCC has done an outstanding job. I was very skeptical at first as well (when FCC was announced), but now I am really enjoying going to the matches. Great atmosphere, great crowds, what's not to like? Of course it can never replicate what you and I loved as kids and young guys in Europe supporting our local teams (Southampton and Lokeren), but that is besides the point, frankly. It's comparing apples to oranges.

I am excited to see FCC going up to the MLS. And I am quite sure the crowds will follow to the new stadium in 2021 (walking distance from your OtR home). I hope you'll join me. (Unless you prefer to watch the 3 1/2 hr. pathetic Reds games?).

As Nick Holby once wrote, football is tribal, hence the loyalty. I sense that feeling here in Cincy for FCC. And i like it.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #1866 on: June 13, 2018, 10:43:02 PM »

No disrespect intended Euro but American soccer is FAR from tribal.

Tribal isn’t some jackass with a drum and a ‘fan conductor’ geeing up the crowd to sing a particular pre-arranged chant at 10 minutes into the game.

Tribal isn’t a bunch of cunts strolling up and down the aisle trying to sell you beer, pop or candy floss

Tribal isn’t playing a team located 1000 miles or more away

Tribal isn’t your city paying $150m to buy into some shitty franchise league where it matters not a single jot if your team win or lose, week in, week out, they’ll still be there next season

Tribal is not half-a-dozen ‘sponsored kick-offs’ around the centre spot before the actual kick-off

Tribal is not “this corner kick is sponsored by Fuckwit Dentists, for all your dentistry needs”

America thinks it ‘gets soccer’. It doesn’t. It gets the game, it just doesn’t get everything that surrounds it in other countries, where teams have grown embryonically, where failure happens and success is tangible. Where great teams have come out of workingmen’s clubs, unions, industries, town coalitions, pubs and Sunday kickabout leagues.

Will I go to FCC games when they’re within easy walking distance? Sure I will a couple of times a season maybe? Will I be invested in the team? No. I’d be more inclined if the club had fought its way to the top of the USL, and then maybe won another interim league before being promoted to the top flight. THAT’S what exciting. THAT’S what’s real. THAT’S what’s tribal. Not a $150m ‘bribe’ to get into the MLS.
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1867 on: June 13, 2018, 11:06:10 PM »

CR, I hear ya. I live and die as I follow my Belgian club team (Lokeren) just as you are yours in the EPL.

I agree that MLS can never replicate that, and never will.

But it's not just about that, in my book anyway. Sports here in the US is just another entertainment option. Do I go to see a Reds game? or a Bengals game? or an FCC game? or go to a movie? or a concert?

So yes, FCC "bribed" its way into MLS. So what. If I'm spending my entertainment dollars, I'd rather see them competing at the highest level in the US.

You cannot compare football in the US as you and I experienced it growing up in Europe. It's comparing apples to oranges. Once you realize that, and give in to the fact that FCC gives a great fan experience for what it is, the choice is easy (sorry, Reds). I go to most of the FCC games with my 31 yr. old son, we go to a bar before the game, catch up, enjoy food and drink, and have a merry time. Great way to spend an evening if you ask me.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1868 on: June 13, 2018, 11:33:15 PM »

My feeling is much like CR’s.

I have yet to be convinced that soccer is anything more than a hipster trend for most of the US.  People are more interested in what they view as “being a fan” than they are in the actual soccer.  At the lower levels, that’s fine.  Tickets are cheap, the stands would be empty otherwise.  I mean, it is like minor league baseball or college (absent alumniand students).  You know you are not watching the best, there is no particular rivalry or tradition so go have a good time with your tailgates and Tifos and have a sense of humor about it.  Any excuse for a party.

Which isn’t to say that there aren’t legit fans like yourself or that soccer is not appreciated anywhere in the country or that things can’t change.  But if they do, it is likely bad for MLS.  The league is a joke run by a bunch of clowns.  The internationalization of soccer creates less demand for a US league than ever.  All of our best players will be developed and play for overseas clubs.

But I understand your opinion.  I don’t question your thinking.  You want to see MLS, and now you’ll have a chance.  Go to the games and have a good time.  I am not trying to tun you off on MLS, just stating my opinion that the league is doomed absent drastic and unlikely changes.  So enjoy it while you have it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1869 on: June 14, 2018, 01:54:23 AM »

You want to see MLS, and now you’ll have a chance.  Go to the games and have a good time.  I am not trying to tun you off on MLS, just stating my opinion that the league is doomed absent drastic and unlikely changes.  So enjoy it while you have it.
I very much doubt that MLS is "doomed". It is by now too embedded in the US sports/entertainment culture. If anything, it will thrive yet more in the years to come, regardless of MLS' leadership (is the leadership in other US major leagues any better?). And the fact that the WC is coming back to the US in 2026 will only add to the MLS appeal, both for fans and (over the hill and mostly European) footballers. Hello, Wayne Rooney?

As I think I've mentioned before, I was hugely skeptical about the whole FCC thing when it was first announced back in summer of 2015. But once you embrace the fact that it is an entertainment option, FCC has done remarkably. And going up to MLS will only add for me on that.

But hey, I get it if one doesn't buy into it. Apparently tens of thousands here in Cincinnati have actually bought into it. (Attendance at tonight's game: over 22,000)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1870 on: June 14, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »

Apparently tens of thousands here in Cincinnati have actually bought into it. (Attendance at tonight's game: over 22,000)
Apparently tens of thousands here in Cincinnati have actually bought into it. (Attendance at tonight's game: over 22,000)

That's actually kind of the problem.  A second division team in a non-major market outdrew DC, Chicago, NY/NJ, Dallas, and Philadelphia.  Those are huge markets, and they are traditionally big soccer areas.  If USSF can't sell tickets in those areas, how incompetent are they?  And if they can't sell tickets in those areas, how can a big, national league succeed?

The way that MLS survives is it keeps getting cash injections from their Ponzi-scheme franchise addition and they get money from the WC (and if people don't watch WC this year that would be a crippling blow to MLS).

I think Cincinnati shows you how soccer can succeed in this country.  Keep prices affordable, and keep it kind of local.  You don't need dedicated stadiums and big corporate sponsors and you don't need Rooney and Ibra.  I also think they will do alright in MLS.  But they're going to get dragged down by the rest of the league.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1871 on: June 17, 2018, 12:08:47 AM »

Sorry to tell you, ZK, but your Richmond Kickers were terrible tonight against FCC. Never put up a fight (if memory serves me right, 1 shot on goal). FCC won 4-0 and it could've been a lot worse.

As an aside, attendance tonight: 28,000+ (and that's not a typo). Great atmosphere in the stadium all around. I was wearing my Belgium Red Devils Lukaku jersey, and a great looking woman behind me was wearing a Peru jersey. We struck up a nice conversation. (Sadly she was married...) Craft brews gently enbibed.

It topped a soccer-full day for me (after watching several of the WC games)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:36:28 AM by euro60 »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1872 on: June 17, 2018, 02:03:56 PM »

Yeah, the Kickers are terrible.

They are sort of DC United’s minor league team, and I think there are a few USL teams that are legit better than DC United.  So if your team is playing with DC United rejects, it’s going to be pretty bad.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1873 on: July 04, 2018, 11:07:25 AM »

Jose Ramirez is the most under-rated player in all of sports.  I mean, people know who he is and that he is good, but they think of him as like just another normal or lesser all-star and not an MVP.

Partly it is because Mike Trout is so incredible that Ramirez pales by comparison, which isn’t really fake considering Trout may just wind up the best player of all time.  Partly it is that he plays in Cleveland.  And partly it is that Ramirez snuck up on everyone.  He wasn’t a hyped prospect like Harper or Bryant.  And he wasn’t immediately good. He was called up very early, and then kind of stunk his way through a couple part time seasons before reaching lesser all-star status.  But then he still kept getting better.  And he’s STILL getting better. 

He’s still younger than Bryant, Arrenado, Altuve, and Judge.  He’s the same age as Javier Baez who is getting hyped for his “breakout” season.  Except Ramirez is having a way better season than Baez.

Ramirez is pretty much Mookie Betts without the hype.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1874 on: July 08, 2018, 01:55:06 PM »

I love JRam. I love your commentary.

Other teams with money probably realize they can have him in a few years for cheap if no one hypes him up.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 128   Go Up