Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 90249 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #1890 on: September 09, 2018, 09:11:35 PM »

well the reds can't go .500 this year but i do believe that joey dingers is back baby!  i think he has an outside shot at fifteen
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1891 on: September 14, 2018, 12:21:53 AM »

So the Bengals are 2-0.... who da thunk it?

If they can win one of the next 2 away games (at Carolina and at Atlanta), we may have something to talk about....
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1892 on: September 14, 2018, 09:02:09 AM »

i'm liking this strategy of needing a forced fumble recovery to ensure a victory, a victory that shouldn't have been in doubt.  i just knew that they weren't going to play a complete game.  not that you need to to win, but just score another touchdown.  just one.  the field goals will always come.  am i at least feeling confident about this year's bengals?  i'm always confident about the bengals

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1893 on: September 14, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »

since it's pretty silly not to at this point, the reds oughta extend harvey and might as well gennett.  trade billy, move pereza to center and hope he commits less than 20 errors (which i think is a lot), bring up senzel.  i don't know if he can play short but mr twenty errors and his twenty errors is our current shortstop.  i don't get to watch the games but i listen on the radio, is he bad defensively?  and we need to sign a quality free agent starter.  i'd be happy with 85-90 wins next year, if everyone stays mostly healthy

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1894 on: September 14, 2018, 08:55:49 PM »

How the fuck do you figure the Reds can win 85-90 games last season with essentially the same lineup that will struggle to win 70 games this year?

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1895 on: September 15, 2018, 12:08:58 AM »

How the fuck do you figure the Reds can win 85-90 games last season with essentially the same lineup that will struggle to win 70 games this year?
exactly...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1896 on: September 15, 2018, 08:56:20 AM »

there were quite a few injuries which set the team back a bit, especially the pitching.  i don't think i'm being too unrealistic.  while i am counting on a return of joey dingers, a consistent scooter, a healthy winker, and the potential of nick senzel,   the offense is still better than average.  yes, pitching is a most glaring weakness.  i don't know if all those reliable bullpen weapons will be available next year, if it is, it's just ironing out the rotation.  homer should be let go, finnegan's too familiar with the dl, as is disco, sal romano probably won't pan out (maybe relief).  so that leaves luis castillo, tyler mahle, maybe cody reed, some others, and potentially matt harvey.  not sure what the free agent pitching market is going to be like but castellini said he's committed to upping the payroll.  that's why i think we're one or two quality starters away from having the type of season i mentioned 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1897 on: September 15, 2018, 02:25:12 PM »

damn mixon's out 2-4 weeks.  played thru an injury which requires arthroscopic surgery.  he's been balling.  still like gio though. he's solid.  gonna probably be a lot of dalton next week.  fuck yeah 

edit

the past two bengal games have been victories of the score bengals 34, opponent 23.  and the forced fumble at the end to seal it!  is this a team of destiny or what?! 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 02:32:15 PM by daytime drinking »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1898 on: September 15, 2018, 11:36:59 PM »

is this a team of destiny or what?!
No it isn't...

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1899 on: September 20, 2018, 10:45:08 PM »

Belgium's Red Devils ranked No.1 in the FIFA world rankings (albeit my decimal points). Not that it matters whatsoever, but still nice. Such a great team. Enjoying it while it lasts and still lamenting that loss to France in the WC semi-finals <sigh>

https://sports.yahoo.com/first-ever-joint-top-teams-125309800.html

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1900 on: September 21, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »

The Browns won a game for the first time in 635 days. We are all pleased as punch.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1901 on: September 21, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »

And your QB looked good.  Not just competent, but potentially franchise-y.  It was just one half of course, but he still looked better that half than Trubisky has ever looked.  He looked pretty confident, and he threw some nice passes.  As opposed to Trubisky who looks over-confident and makes mistakes.

Browns have looked decent the entire season.  1-1-1 is not bad at all.  Taylor was bad last night before the concussion, but he generally falls into the "competent, but not good" category.  Which is still a step up form most Browns QB's already.  I know everyone just thinks they should hand the job to Mayfield now, but I wouldn't blame them if they went back to Taylor.  The Browns don't suck horribly at all, but they are still probably not a playoff team.  So I can see the logic behind not throwing Mayfield into the fire too early.  Let him keep learning, and let TT play and then after 12 games when you are out of it, then maybe start easing Mayfield in with an eye towards next season.

They really weren't a 0-16 team last year, tbf.  I mean, they were pretty bad but IMO they were not historically bad like they have been other seasons.  They looked like a run-of-the-mill 4 or 5 win team who had some really bad luck.

I'm definitely starting to lose faith in Trubisky.  Yes, I get he doesn't have much experience in college.  And yes, he had no one to throw to last year and a horrible coach and now he is learning a new system.  I'm not expecting immediate greatness.  But I feel like he should be doing better than he is. 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1902 on: September 21, 2018, 03:05:57 PM »

I watched the Monday night game (some) and Trubisky was .... rough. I feel for you of course. I was totally rooting for him to look good and he would from time to time, but then there'd be enough bad plays that it erased the progress. And I'm guessing that is how it always is.

As for Baker, yes, he did look good. Too good, even, as it was a breath of fresh air to be like, "oooh, this is what it's like to root for a real football player/team" but I'm not complaining. He can only go down from here, so the Clevelander in me is gearing up for disappointment.

All the writers and talking heads are saying that the Browns need to give the job to Baker now and let him learn, so your take is different at least. Historically we know that you are right and the national columnists are wrong, but man....did you even see Tyrod's play? He's not a good QB. His passes sail, he mostly throws out patterns or dump offs (or if he goes deep...he underthrows the receiver), and he doesn't really give his receivers a chance. I like the guy, I love his attitude and confidence, and I really really don't want him to have a serious concussion. But Tyrod was not good. And that's bad for the Browns. Baker threaded the needle, threw very accurately, looked downfield, and really gave his receivers something to catch. (I particularly enjoyed the one that bounced off Jarvis Landry's shoulder pads.) So...your point is right of course but it's also very hard to justify Tyrod's performance.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1903 on: September 21, 2018, 06:31:02 PM »

from watching the highlights he looked better than darnold as well.  i'd rather see the browns being an easy win though

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1904 on: September 22, 2018, 12:17:31 AM »

Not a fan of the Browns, but to no start Baker in the next game would be another Browns monumental mistake, I mean, really? You may or may not have found your franchise QB for the next 10 years or more, but what is the downside?

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128   Go Up