Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 105556 times)

c-lando and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #1935 on: January 11, 2019, 12:09:54 PM »

Bengals are ready to make a bold move:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25731343/cincinnati-bengals-hope-hire-rams-zac-taylor-head-coach

I have no idea if this will pan out, but man, this is great news. Thankfully no Hue Jackson. A clean break from the past, and this is what we need. Of course, only time will tell if this was the right move. But surely hanging on to the past (Hue Jackson) was not.

he was the offensive coordinator for uc under tubberville.  they averaged under twenty points per game.  at least he's older than the players i suppose 
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1936 on: January 11, 2019, 02:09:39 PM »

I don't think they cheat any more than Alabama.  Or any of the the four playoff teams.  Or OSU.  Or FSU who suck now but still cheat.  Or even Maryland who really, really suck but are corrupt as hell.  If I were to make a list of top ten biggest asshole coaches, Saban wouldn't make the top ten.

I would LOVE to see your list!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1937 on: February 03, 2019, 11:58:48 PM »

I don't know which one was worse: the Super Bowl game, the half time show starring Maroon 5 and co-horts, or the Super Bowl ads. Wow, just a snooze fest all around.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1938 on: February 04, 2019, 01:20:37 PM »

It was pretty dire.

If you're like the 1% of the population that is into geeky football strategy, you probably have to admire the way Belichek made the game so boring by shutting down the Rams so easily and thoroughly that it wasn't even exciting to watch because no one on defense even made a big play, they just had to do what they were supposed to.

For everyone else yeah, there was nothing good about that.  Boring game, boring ads, really boringly awful halftime show.  Gurley and Brady mostly did nothing.  Even the weather was not exciting.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1939 on: February 04, 2019, 01:40:48 PM »

And considering Goff's play yesterday (whose position coach Zac Taylor will be the Bengals' new head coach), I'm surely not the only one who is skeptical about this hire. But then again, how much worse could it be after 16 years of Marvin Lewis...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #1940 on: February 05, 2019, 08:21:42 AM »

Goff had a very bad night and I don't think you can draw any conclusions on whether that was Zac Taylor's responsibility.  If Goff threw 5 touchdowns for 400 yards, how much credit would you give Taylor?  If you're worried about anything, it should be his inexperience, him riding McVay's coat tails, and that the Bengals put their faith in him.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1941 on: February 28, 2019, 11:21:37 PM »

The Harper signing for the Phillies today (10 yrs for 330 mill) makes the Votto long-term contract for the Reds seem like a super-bargain now. Just wow.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1942 on: March 01, 2019, 01:22:23 PM »

It's 13 years.  And Harper at the end of that contract will still be younger than Votto at the end of his deal.

But yeah, that Votto deal has ended up being a good one for the Reds regardless of whatever Harper signed for.  I think at the time, I liked the Bruce deal better.  Shows what I know.

I think the Phillies paid too much for Harper.  They're looking at his age and talent, but I'm looking at the fact that he hasn't actually produced that consistently.  Not that he sucks, but for that money you're looking at a guy who is putting up MVP-type seasons year after year.  And between injuries and just weirdly not producing, Harper isn't that great.  Sure, he's capable of putting up a 2015 season every year and in fact he should be.  But the reality is, he's done that one time and has never come close in any of his other seasons.

On the other hand, it's not like any teams actually lose money in baseball.  The idea of teams being restricted by salary is kind of bogus.  The Phillies have that money to spend, they are contending in a weak division and Harper might put them over the top.  If they win a WS somewhere in the next 13 years, that alone would probably make Harper's contract quite profitable for them.  So it's actually kind of a good investment.  It's just not a good investment relative to other investments they could have made.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1943 on: March 02, 2019, 12:18:33 AM »

The Votto deal was signed in 2012, and everyone was "omg, that's crazy", and now we are in 2019 and the Harper deal seems crazy, but without a salary cap in MLB (talk about crazy), I have little doubt that in 2026 a deal for 10 years/500 mill will be signed for the then-next Harper.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1944 on: Yesterday at 10:39:32 PM »

I watched the US-Ecuador friendly tonight. Team USA is in a complete rebuild mode, as they should be after the disastrous 2018 WC qualifying. They won 1-0 but it's clear a lot of work lays ahead. And that's fine. It's 3 years from the next WC.

Michael Bradley was a substitute in the 60th minute. He was completely useless, and lost the ball on several occasions. Why is he still on the team? We need to move on.

As a complete aside, I love the new Team USA jersey, showing the Red, White & Blue nicely. Gonna have to get one of those!

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130]   Go Up