Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 133970 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #2010 on: August 03, 2019, 11:56:42 PM »

Puig was great while we had him. Sad to see him go, but it makes sense.

Fuck Pittsburgh
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2011 on: August 06, 2019, 03:55:47 PM »

I am rooting for Travis Demeritte to fail.  Hard.

The reason I am rooting for Travis Demeritte to fail is because he is on my fantasy team. 

The reason I am rooting for Travis Demeritte to fail even though he is on my fantasy team are threefold:  First, he's on my bench and I want my decision to bench him to be vindicated.  Second, he was traded from the NL to the AL, which means I cannot keep him for next year and even though none of that has anything to do with me, I want to feel like I am not losing a keeper.  Third, Demeritte's AAA stats aren't that great.  He's like... possibly okay but probably not.  And I want him to be that way so it confirms my incredible talent at reading stat lines and scouting reports written by strangers.

The reason why Travis Demeritte is on my fantasy team was because I had an open slot a few weeks ago, and there was no one really interesting available so I just kinda perused some players and was like "Yeah, this dude seems not totally shitty and might get a call-up."  It was a 2 minute decision. 

I have/am investing way too much time and effort on this 2 minute decision for a guy who is not on my active roster and will never be on my active roster and who I will probably drop this weekend.  It's just very important to me that I nail with 100% accuracy my judgment on the exact mediocrity of Travis Demeritte that he will get called up but not be good.  I HAVE TO BE RIGHT.

On the other hand, if for some reason Demeritte were still in the NL, and Michael Conforto broke his leg then I would have to activate Demeritte and I would be totally rooting for him to defy all his critics and turn into the next Mike Trout.  If this happened, it would make me not only NOT RIGHT but incredibly, catastrophically WRONG.  But I will totally justify this by saying all I did was play the odds and wisely pick up a player with at least some mild potential just in case it worked out, and my never-say-die attitude and hardwork is now paying off.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2012 on: August 10, 2019, 07:51:34 PM »

Got up this morning extra early to get ready for PL.  Something was wrong with my NBCSports Gold account not renewing.  So I paid them their shitty extortionate $65.  It was glitchy on my screen and I could not watch the game.  Called their support and yelled at them.  They kept giving me the runaround.  Luckily nothing was happening in the game.

FINALLY they fixed it at something like 59:34 of the Southampton game, just in time for me to see them to cough up three goals in ten minutes. 

I am happier that I snagged Aristides Aquino for $1 on my fantasy league last week or angrier that Aquino is singlehandedly destroying the Cubs in an important series?  Itís closer call than I would have thought. 

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #2013 on: August 10, 2019, 11:53:46 PM »

I am happier that I snagged Aristides Aquino for $1 on my fantasy league last week or angrier that Aquino is singlehandedly destroying the Cubs in an important series?  It’s closer call than I would have thought. 
He's a beast and they should quit pitching to him.  Sheesh tonight was tough to watch.  The pitches in the 60s threw him off a bit.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2014 on: September 23, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »

The most damning praise in fantasy sports is "He should be owned." 

If your league requires X players to be rostered in total, the "he should be owned" player is ranked like X-10.  So yeah, someone should own him. But hopefully that someone is not you, because if the 10th worst player in the league helps your team, then your team sucks.

It's the fantasy equivalent of "second division regular" or "starter on a non-contender."

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2015 on: September 30, 2019, 01:32:37 PM »

I just read that ESPN has picked up the BundesLiga TV rights in the US starting next season. That totally sucks. Currently the BundesLiga airs (and has for years) on Fox Sports and Fox Soccer Plus, and they do a fabulous job (typically they air 5 or 6 games each weekend, both live and in multiple replay), along with a 1 hour Highlights show on Saturday evening and on Sunday evening.

ESPN says it will put much on the BundesLiga content on ESPN+ <sigh>
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2016 on: September 30, 2019, 04:16:44 PM »

It's $5 per month, or if you go with the annual package it's $50.

Sounds to me like you should splurge for yourself! How much is $50 going to set you back, really?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #2017 on: October 01, 2019, 10:36:42 AM »

Or you can just act like that content doesn't exist, like you do with Netflix.  Problem solved.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2018 on: October 01, 2019, 11:18:53 AM »

You're the first person I know who thinks Fox did a good job with Bundesliga.  They showed like, 2 games on real Fox and the rest were always relegated to FS1 or FS2 or some shit. They did nothing to promote the league or the games.   

TBF, I also think people whined about it too much.  No one in the US cares about Bundesliga so half-ass coverage is all you can expect.

I guess I just don't see much changing.  It wasn't like ESPN paid a zillion dollars to outbid Fox. Fox has pretty much been dropping their soccer over the last few years.  I don't even think they care about FS1 at all, even.  Does it even still exist or isn't it pretty much "Fox Regional Sports + whenever we can't fill our ridiculous amounts of worthless air time with yet another call-in show we'll throw on some random shit, maybe even Bundesliga?"  A lot of cable companies are dropping FS1.  I know Sling is.  My dad was pissed.  He actually watches Bundesliga for some reason.

The thing that annoyed everyone I think was that Fox owned the rights to all the games but apparently wouldn't actually show all the games.  Which meant that you couldn't watch the best game of the week or follow a team even if you were willing to pay Fox Soccer extra to do it.

If ESPN actually is serious about Bundesliga, then it might work out.  I have Premier League pass on NBC. It costs like $60, but you get every single game.  I mean, I'm not happy about the price (and it goes up every year, plus now you need to upgrade to "gold" to get PL coverage outside of the game coverage) but I kinda can't fault the job they do overall.  If ESPN will throw on like 5 games a year on regular ESPN or ESPN 2 and actually make every single other game available live with a $50 subscription that's fair.

I'm not saying ESPN will do a better job with Bundesliga since there still is no audience.  But they *might*.  Because Fox didn't give a crap already so it would be hard to be worse.

The only difference is it will be streamed and not on cable.  Which I think most soccer fans are either indifferent or prefer streaming. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #2019 on: October 01, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »

The only difference is it will be streamed and not on cable.  Which I think most soccer fans are either indifferent or prefer streaming.
Yea, so I am in the "non-most" category of soccer fans who doesn't stream but like to watch cable. For me it's not about the money, it's about the fact that I really don't care about "streaming" on my phone or my computer. And I haven't figured out streaming on my TV.

I know for a fact that between FS1, FS2 and Fox Soccer Plus, Fox shows about 5 or 6 Bundesliga games each weekend: 1 on Friday, usually 3 on Saturday, and usually 2 on Sunday. And they show many of those games more than once (live, and then in replay). I rarely watch (or at most 1 BundesLiga game), but I almost always watch the BundesLiga Highlights show on Saturday evening or Sunday evening, where you get all the highlights of all the weekend's games in 1 hour, just terrific.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #2020 on: October 01, 2019, 11:50:40 PM »

the pelicans should move to seattle as the big easy's strictly a football town.  does hoops not play in the upper pac nw?  moving the grizz back home-ish would be ideal, but memphis is strictly a hoops town

why doesn't baseball play in miami?  you'd figure the gateway to latin america would be a crazy pull for caribbean imports
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2021 on: October 02, 2019, 11:05:25 AM »

Yea, so I am in the "non-most" category of soccer fans who doesn't stream but like to watch cable. For me it's not about the money, it's about the fact that I really don't care about "streaming" on my phone or my computer. And I haven't figured out streaming on my TV.

I know for a fact that between FS1, FS2 and Fox Soccer Plus, Fox shows about 5 or 6 Bundesliga games each weekend: 1 on Friday, usually 3 on Saturday, and usually 2 on Sunday. And they show many of those games more than once (live, and then in replay). I rarely watch (or at most 1 BundesLiga game), but I almost always watch the BundesLiga Highlights show on Saturday evening or Sunday evening, where you get all the highlights of all the weekend's games in 1 hour, just terrific.

Yeah, but Fox Soccer Plus costs $15/month a la cart on Verizon here in Richmond.  That's $180 a year.  That's a complete rip-off for not even a full slate of Bundesliga matches and a few random Cup matches.  And like I said before, FS1 and FS2 are increasingly not being offered in basic cable packages so you may have to move up a tier or get a sports bundle to get those as well.

Compare that to NBC's Premier League packages which are $40 a year for all the games, and $65 for all the games plus all the highlight shows.  And for $65, the games are on demand so you can watch them whenever and as many times as you want. 

That's the advantage of streaming.  The network paid for the exclusive rights to all the games and that price is being passed on to the consumer, so why don't they show you all the games?  You can't do that if you only have three channels.  But if you stream, then you are no longer bound by the available cable channels.  People can select any game they want.  Fox tried to charge yet another $20 a month for streaming match plus ON TOP of the other costs.

So theoretically, ESPN could charge you the same rip-off $40 a season for Bundesliga and maybe Turner can charge another $100 for Champion's League and UEFA.  So for $180 you could have every PL, Bundesliga and Champion's League match for the price of Fox Soccer Plus. 

Or maybe they don't go full into a la cart match streaming.  You can still get ESPN+ for $5.00 instead of paying $15 for Fox Soccer Plus. And you also get Serie A, Coppa Italia, English Chocabo League Cup, English FA Cup, Eredivise and most of the USMNT matches, instead of poopoo MLS and Liga MX.  Actually, I think you get the poopoo MLS and Liga MX too because FOX and ESPN split the rights.  Or you can get ESPN+ AND HULU (and Disney+, if you care) for $12.99 a month.  So even in the worst case scenario, where things stay the same but you just change channels from Fox Soccer Plus to ESPN+, you're coming out ahead.

Unless you really care about Liga MX, Fox Soccer Plus and Fox owning soccer rights has been a rip-off for years.  They used to have the rights to ALL those leagues, but they did a shitty job of promoting them and making the games available.  They're clearly moving in a different direction.

ESPN has committed to showing I think 8 Bundesliga matches a year on regular-ass basic cable ESPN, which is more than Fox showed.  So for the casual consumer, they're getting more games.  And for the die-hard consumer, they may get the option to pay to get EVERY game, or at the very least a comprehensive channel that covers a shit-ton more soccer
at a cost that is a fraction of what they were paying for FS1, FS2, and Fox Soccer Plus (and possibly streaming Match Pass).  I don't know if that's what ESPN will do, but theoretically they could.  If so, then what you have is a win for both the occasional big match viewer and the die hard fans. 

I mean, no one should trust Disney.  I'm sure they'll find a way to fuck it up eventually, and there's no guarantee it'll be that great in the first place.  But it's hard to imagine that it would be worse than Fox.  Will their commentators likely be bad?  Sure.  Will they be Alexei Lalas bad?  Doubtful.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 11:21:48 AM by Zafer Kaya »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2022 on: October 07, 2019, 10:47:04 PM »

The Browns pass protection sucks.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #2023 on: October 07, 2019, 11:05:56 PM »

The Browns pass protection sucks.
It's nice to know even with a good team the Browns will still Brown things up.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2024 on: October 08, 2019, 05:28:05 PM »

The Browns had three concerns going into the season, according to local fans.

A) Offensive Line ... didn't look too good.
B) Freddie Kitchens is a first year coach and while we are all happy with him, he is still unproven
C) It all hinges on Baker playing like he did the 2nd half of 2018. If he either doesn't live up to that, or he gets injured, then it all collapses.

So, you're seeing all three of those issues rearing their ugly heads.
The O-line can't block, Kitchens sometimes screws it up with odd decisions, and Baker sometimes doesn't play like his potential.

Not that it matters, but when Antonio Callaway failed to catch the ball on the goal line and prevented the Browns from scoring a touchdown, he also deflected it up in the air to allow a 49er to catch the ball and run 40 yards with it. Then a few plays later the 49ers score a touchdown. Callaway's inability to catch that ball kind of swung 14 points.
Regardless, the Browns still lose that game, so it's not that important.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137   Go Up