Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Sports Musings  (Read 125992 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: Random Sports Musings
« Reply #2025 on: October 09, 2019, 09:47:14 AM »

For me it's not about the money, it's about the fact that I really don't care about "streaming" on my phone or my computer. And I haven't figured out streaming on my TV.

Dude, you've got two kids who are of an age to know ALL ABOUT streaming. And if you have wifi at home, it would be simple to set it up with your television using a cheapo Roku. Seriously. I'm actually surprised you don't already own a smart TV (which has streaming technology built in) but smart or not a Roku is easy-peasy to set up.

And then the world is your oyster.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2026 on: October 09, 2019, 10:52:18 AM »

The Browns had three concerns going into the season, according to local fans.

A) Offensive Line ... didn't look too good.
B) Freddie Kitchens is a first year coach and while we are all happy with him, he is still unproven
C) It all hinges on Baker playing like he did the 2nd half of 2018. If he either doesn't live up to that, or he gets injured, then it all collapses.

I don't think Kitchens is that great a coach... but he doesn't suck.  Similarly, I don't think Mayfield is as good as he looked last year, but I also think that he's probably at least pretty good.  Not hall of fame good, but top ten, possibly top five.  He's good enough to put up fantastic numbers with the receiving core he has.

But a team with a bad offensive line is just so brutal to watch.  It doesn't matter how good your coach or QB is at play calling, or how good your skill position players are.  Nothing is going to work.  And then it just drags down the whole team because the coach and QB start doing stupid things in desperation.

OBJ is so good, it's not like you even have to wait for him to be open or Mayfield has to look off corners or read the backup routes or whatever.  Just run a play that involves him streaking downfield in some way, give it two and a half seconds, and just fling the ball in his general direction.  OBJ will go up and get it regardless of coverage or ball placement or you will draw a pass interference more often than not.  The Browns can't even buy Mayfield that two and a half seconds.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2027 on: October 09, 2019, 03:55:11 PM »

The Browns traded their best lineman....for OBJ. It was bound to go downhill when they did that.

Alex Mack was an awesome lineman...and he bolted as soon as he could.
Joe Thomas was a legendary lineman...but he could only last so long.
Zeitler was traded for OBJ.

If there's one thing the Browns have had the guts to invest in over the years, it was the O-line. It's too bad it's weak now when everything else seems to be good. I suspect they will focus on it in the coming off-season, but there's only so much you can do until then.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #2028 on: October 09, 2019, 04:06:18 PM »

They could give Chubb 20+ carries a game.  Their run-blocking appears to be not as bad, or else Chubb is just that good.  Maybe a little of both.

They let the 49ers get too big a lead too early on Monday, so that kind forced them to throw but I think they could have stuck with the run game a little longer than they did.

Although I think you're right that the O-line is just too lousy for them to do a whole lot this season.  I think they are better off not trying to alter their whole philosophy, but to stick with it and see who gets better and then fix remaining holes next year.

But they also need to be careful that Mayfield doesn't develop bad habits because he's scrambling for his life all the time or that he doesn't get hurt.  You also don't want Chubb to take too much of a pounding.  So it's just kind of trying to stick to your plan but balance it out a bit so no one gets killed.  They did a good job against the Ravens.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2029 on: October 10, 2019, 09:05:22 AM »

This is ... intriguing?

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1182031572557602817

I wonder if it's true?

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #2030 on: October 10, 2019, 11:17:56 AM »

sigh.  go nats.  the cards will forever take it in the pujols.  poor kershaw.  i don't get it.  he just can't get it done.  and one of the best ever

all the teams i was rooting for crap out early.  since i'm partial to that area of the country, i was all in on a twinkie/crew world series (imagine the ratings!).  the a's were my consolation.  now i want to see a 'stros/nats ws.   the astros are a fun team.  my feelings aside, the yanks are gonna pummel

in other news, i said it at the beginning of the year.  trevor lawrence shoulda redshirted this year and gone pro the following 
poach eggs, not elephants
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136]   Go Up