Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2008 Torturethon  (Read 26180 times)

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
2008 Torturethon
« on: September 06, 2008, 06:38:12 PM »

What is the Torturethon? In brief, you choose a song that you claim to hate, agree to listen to it over and over repeatedly for as long as you can and the longer you go, the more money you raise for a charity from sponsorship. But this year we’re adding another option: You can choose a radio station that you hate if you want, or anything else you might think of creatively.

The minimum is to go for at least two hours, but most go for eight hours as a standard; and yes, some go WAY over that amount! Also, at least twice an hour you have to post in the thread (that you will create) on our message boards on how you are feeling, what you think of the song, and anything you really feel like talking about. Profanity and pictures are not only allowed, but encouraged! At the end, we will declare a winner based on duration, creativity and level of torture for the song/station, etc.

Past songs of torture have included “MMM-Bop” by Hanson, “She Bangs” by William Hung, “With Arms Wide Open” by Creed, “Lala” by Ashlee Simpson, the inaugural song four years ago (that created this idea) of “We Built This City” by Starship, and even “Karma Police” by Radiohead. So, you have to choose a song that you hate. Can you lie? Well, yes, but this IS for charity, so play by the rules!

As for sponsors, many on our boards will sponsor you, but we ask that you try to gather up as many sponsors on your own as you can. About 50 cents an hour is usually the norm, though some people sponsor for more and some less.

This year the event will happen between Oct 20-Nov 2 and you choose when you will participate. Although weekends are fine, typically our boards are the busiest during weekday work hours, so that’s where you’ll get the most replies/views to your posts.

In past years we’ve chosen the Joe Strummer Foundation and the Bryan and Kathryn Harvey Family Memorial Endowment as our charities. This year, we’re going with Fractured Atlas; a site designed to help artists get health insurance. It's based out of New York, but provides links and services to other states in the US.

Well, it's getting to be that time again. So when should we do it this year? The site re-launch will be sometime around the second week of October and it could be great if we could do the Torturethon that week. Maybe Oct 13-20? Yes? No?

Also, we need to look at charities. I certainly vote for MusiCares
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 06:09:33 PM by JohnnyRoyale »
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Re: 2008 Torturethon
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:53:29 PM »

Can we push it back to the 20th?  I'd like to take part this time and I know I'll be out of town the week of the 12th-18th.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 11:18:02 PM »

Can we push it back to the 20th?  I'd like to take part this time and I know I'll be out of town the week of the 12th-18th.

Doesn't matter to me, I'll just be a spectator
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 09:58:28 AM »

Crap, I forgot to check my calendar yesterday for the week of October 20. Will post availability asap.
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 10:05:49 PM »

We're out of the country most of October
Opulence. I has it.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 12:43:15 AM »

Well, early November would be cool too, but we don't want to get any later than that because the holidays start creeping up and we should stay away from that.....

More thoughts?

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 08:19:34 PM »

What about charity ideas?

damnable

• Summer Resident
  • live the lie til you die, just to make it die
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 11:03:41 AM »

Charity

American Red Cross (for disaster relief, i.e. Hurricane Ike)
http://www.paybyweb.com/mainsite/redcross._091508.asp?gclid=CM6vwOSQ7ZUCFRsRagodXUMQeg

That's my vote, since you know that it's not a scam, and they're fairly non-political.

i did not write this

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 05:52:55 PM »

In the past, we've done the Joe Strummer charity, right?  What was the first one?  Something to do with New Orleans?

A couple of ideas I had...

-Fractured Atlas is a site designed to help artists get health insurance.  It's based out of New York, but provides links and services to other states in the US.

-Since this is an election year and all, maybe Rock The Vote is a good idea.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 02:17:51 PM »

While not taking away from anything MusiCares does, they already have a lot of big sponsorship from wealthy celebrities.

Since we often try to "help out the little guy" at Randomville, I think we should go with Fractured Atlas because it's kind of small and unique.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 03:50:57 PM »

Fractured Atlas will be the charity and there is a sign-up thread as well.

After you have signed up, just create your own thread on the song/station/whatever of your choice.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 06:06:38 PM »

Fractured Atlas has officially agreed to be the recipient this year!

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 06:36:45 PM »

JR, will we be donating via PayPal again this year?
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 10:36:29 PM »

Either that, or write me a check. Whatever is easier for the donor

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 01:54:18 AM »

Okay, the t-thon is officialy open.

Who's going to step up and do this???

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up