Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Okay, when should we do Torturethon 2008? Sorry for the confusion...

Oct 6-19
- 2 (25%)
Oct 20-Nov 2
- 2 (25%)
Nov 3- Nov 15
- 2 (25%)
eh, maybe next year...
- 2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: September 24, 2008, 09:30:26 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW Torturethon dates to choose  (Read 10418 times)

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
NEW Torturethon dates to choose
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:30:26 AM »

Again, I wasn't trying to confine the t-thon in size for time.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Re: NEW Torturethon dates to choose
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 10:28:55 AM »

4 votes so far - are we going to have enough participation?

Think any of those timeframes would work for me - call me flexible.   ;)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 11:23:16 AM »

Yeah, any of those dates work for me, but at the same time i'm kinda spent on this idea at the moment.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:19:04 PM »

Rafe, foolsgold, rva, ella?   

*sigh* Okay, every year I duck this thing by just contributing because I have a tough time listening to music I hate. But if I decided to participate, would that be any leverage to continue this thing?

I think it's a really unique event and for a great cause, so I'd love to keep the tradition alive. But if it's so small that we only raise $50 bucks, it's really not worth it also...
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 10:28:13 PM »

I can't see past the end of each week, so I have no idea if I can participate this year. I'm spending most of my days at work in meetings or on the phone, and I'm out of the house on weekends, so it doesn't really lend itself to participating. I'll still try, but I'm thinking November.

I also have no clue what I'd listen to this year. Perhaps the selection of the song could go to the highest bidder or through a small tournament. Something to increase others' participation.

also known as rcc94

rva

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:08:25 AM »

There's really three problems here:

1)  We've all already done it two or three times.  It's an interesting challenge once, just to see what it's like and if you can actually do it.  But now it's just a trial.  I've listened to Paula Cole and Creed.  I just can't think of anything worse that hasn't already been done by someone else.  And we ain't getting any younger.  People have more responsibilities and don't have the time anymore.  Like for me, I rarely have a day at work anymore where I don't have at least one or two meetings and/or a conference call that would require me to stop listening.  I also have to be a lot more focused even at my desk and the torturethon really fucks with my ability to get things done on that particular day.

2)  whigsgeek absolutely owns this event.  Just owns it, man.  She listens the longest, she gets the most donations, she's conscientious about posting updates.  I just can't match that effort.

3)  As a thing for the magazine... I mean what more can we write?  How many ways can you say something sucks?

I don't want to piss on the idea, because I do like that all of us do something for charity and it's a neat little tradition.  But it desperately needs new participants and/or some new twists to it to make it fresh again.  Or we could do just figure out something new to do.  Maybe something that's actually fun?

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 09:19:41 AM »

I agree with RVA almost to a T.

Other than revelling in the glee that would come from watching MK listen to Journey, I think we could/should at least delay it a year or come up with something new.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 09:57:06 AM »

There was talk of the 3 Imaginary Girls participating - I think that's a great idea, but only if we have good participation within the community, too.  Maybe it's time to think of something new.

rva

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 11:42:33 AM »

Well, if 3 Imaginary Girls are going to do participate it would be a huge boon for the site.  They might also be able to pull in more donors than us as well. We could use the rub.  I'd be up for one more go at it in that case. 

What might be cool is if we put more into the 'zine/production side of it this year instead of it being more of an internal messageboard thing.  Like hype it up in the weeks prior.  Maybe make it more interactive like have one of us do it during the weekend and be available for a live chat.  Have a couple articles prior to the actual event and if someone new is doing it, let them have one of us as a "coach" and they could blog about their "training" and/or other preparation.

Or we could still do something else.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 11:48:50 AM »

I'd like to do it but I rarely manage to get more that a couple of hours in listening to my iPod as it is, I just have too many people calling me, dropping by and pulling me into meetings.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 04:16:34 PM »

While trying to fall asleep last night, I was thinking about ways to mix it up a bit. What does the idea of listening to "mainstream" radio for a day sound - picking one of the top stations in the area? I was thinking Top 40 or Country, although it appears the top stations here are Adult Contemporary, Urban, and Urban Adult Contemporary. (Country had been #1 a year ago, but has plummeted in the ratings.)

With the small size of playlists, there should be songs that repeat during a 4 hour window. Plus it would give a lot more to write about - particularly the sad state of today's popular radio.

Checking yes.com, AC would be much more palatable than CHR, so CHR would be more torture. And why is STP's Interstate Love Song the current #10 song on our AOR station?!
also known as rcc94

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 06:02:27 PM »

Ella, I have no idea what half of those acronyms stand for. :)

I like the idea of something different, like the radio station idea.  And building it up zine wise would be good- it might encourage others to participate.  As far as charity goes, I've got nothing.  Should probably look at last year's suggestions, but am far too lazy.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 06:43:31 PM »

Ella, I have no idea what half of those acronyms stand for. :)
AC=Adult Contemporary - (Mix 101.5)
CHR=Current Hits Radio (i.e. Top 40) - (G105)
AOR=Album Oriented Rock - WBBB (96rock)
STP=Stone Temple Pilots (I hope you knew at least this one!)

And in case you were wondering (probably, not), The Penguin is AAA (Adult Album Alternative), also known as Triple A.  Surf 98.3 is Alternative. The triangle has neither of these formats - no wonder I've stopped listening to the radio. - and thus why listening to it would be torture!
also known as rcc94

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 08:08:37 PM »

There was talk of the 3 Imaginary Girls participating - I think that's a great idea, but only if we have good participation within the community, too.  Maybe it's time to think of something new.

Have you been in touch with them on this?  Because I haven't. I've actually been kind of ducked by them.

So yesterday I sent out a huge email to newer contributors/friends/family asking if they want in on the t-thon and to post/vote/reply here....and it looks like there was no response.

I agree with all statements said so far. I really wish we could do it each year, but don't want to force something that is stale. I think if we could get 3 Imaginary involved, then yes, it would be worth at least 1 more go. One thing you guys need to keep in mind is that you dont have to do this AT WORK, and with the 2-week timespan proposal, you could do them at home on a weekend (I would have to....my work would never allow it).

As for the radio station idea, I think that's a great one. Pick a genre you hate, and then force yourself to listen to it. EVERY day I'm forced to listen to the Monkey: http://www.funkymonkey1049.fm/main.html at work and I could probably name 5 t-thon songs off the top of my head. (Actually, we're getting better at sharing radio time; baby steps) But yes, they do repeat the same songs, and in LESS than 4 hour rotations. It's terrible.

One hang up is that streaming radio for me, unless I tuned in to FM here in Seattle, would all have to be done with my home computer, which means I can't leave, which ads more torture. 

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 08:50:37 PM »

I think the problem with doing the thon at the weekend is that there's rarely anyone to bounce off because the boards are so dead Saturday & Sunday
Opulence. I has it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up