Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Okay, when should we do Torturethon 2008? Sorry for the confusion...

Oct 6-19
- 2 (25%)
Oct 20-Nov 2
- 2 (25%)
Nov 3- Nov 15
- 2 (25%)
eh, maybe next year...
- 2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: September 24, 2008, 09:30:26 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW Torturethon dates to choose  (Read 10724 times)

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
Re: NEW Torturethon dates to choose
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 11:55:20 PM »

Oh dear, I do know that listening to some of what Ella suggests would drive me crazy.  It's too bad that's not a 24/7 Journey station for MK to listen to. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 08:17:47 AM »

For me, I think the Tthon is something very uniquely us, and I wish there were a way to do it without becoming stale.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »

Ask other Internet celebrities if they want to participate?
Any bands/artists who'd want do to do this?
Our Internet affiliates?
Maybe set it up bracket style, where people square off against each other?
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 11:56:14 PM »

Ask other Internet celebrities if they want to participate?
Any bands/artists who'd want do to do this?
Our Internet affiliates?
Maybe set it up bracket style, where people square off against each other?

I think the bracket thing would be too hard to do, because do we all vote for a winner each time?

I really like the idea of the radio station, but it probably couldn't be done because most would probably have to stream a station online, which would mean being stuck to a computer.

I do like the idea though of asking some band members. We've interviewed/covered plenty that surely we could get some involved, and maybe if we spread the word to the labels that contact us. Also, I know some might not be keen on this, but the woxy boards do have a lot of people on them....what about asking them to participate?
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 12:50:52 AM »

I really like the idea of the radio station, but it probably couldn't be done because most would probably have to stream a station online, which would mean being stuck to a computer.
Um, I can't stream at work. I still have radios at home, in my car, at my office, and a portable version. This would actually be the easiest to do. My thought was that if someone went that route, they'd listen to one of their local stations using a radio. You know, old school.  :D
also known as rcc94

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 12:55:49 AM »

Not that my opinion is the be all end all, but I think anything that makes it cool and fresh again is good. I don't hold any ill will toward WOXY or (most) of its members, so I don't think sniffing around over there is a bad idea. And getting bands involved seems like a no-brainer.

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 01:20:09 PM »

Question out of curiosity ... Does everyone have to do the same thing? Can some people listen to the radio and others listen to a song?
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 03:01:48 PM »

Since we're Randomville, I'd think either.
also known as rcc94

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 09:38:59 PM »

Question out of curiosity ... Does everyone have to do the same thing? Can some people listen to the radio and others listen to a song?

I think it sounds better to go one way though. Makes it easier for promotion and explaining, maybe a little less confusing.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2008, 11:33:38 PM »

Post a thread at the woxy boards, man.  Couldn't hurt.  I can't imagine there'd be some yokel who'd get upset at us because we're doing something for charity.  That would say more about them than us, anyway.

Yeah, maybe the bracket thing would be too hard.  Just trying to think outside of the loop.

As for Internet affiliates, what if we asked people like the guy running MPMF if he'd want to do it?  Or someone from CD Baby?  Or any local DJs in our areas we know?  Maybe the future of this thing is branching out outside of the boards to nab people.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 09:18:55 AM »

Quote from: JohnnyRoyale
I think it sounds better to go one way though. Makes it easier for promotion and explaining, maybe a little less confusing.

For me, understanding 2 options wouldn't be as confusing as trying to understand 5 or 6 options, but that's just me.

I'm not as up for the radio station thing, so I'll bow out as a participant this year. But I'll happily sponsor others and provide lots of moral support!

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 06:26:28 PM »

I didn't think we'd necessarily decided on the radio thing. That was just something I threw out there as a possibility, as I have no clue what individual song to do.
also known as rcc94

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 06:29:49 PM »

I've got my heart set on listening to the Double Q for a whole day! :P Classic country is where it's AT, doncha know?  (And by "classic" I am of course referring to Garth Brooks and Reba and all of the other recording artists of the early '90s)

I don't have a song, but someone mentioned Clay Aiken, and he might have a torture-iffic tune or two.

whigsgeek

• City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »

Quote from: Ella Minnow Pea
I didn't think we'd necessarily decided on the radio thing. That was just something I threw out there as a possibility, as I have no clue what individual song to do.

You guys should totally do the radio thing! It sounded like there was energy behind it, and it's something new.

rva

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 10:30:25 PM »

I personally feel like the point is to challenge yourself musically for 8 hours.  If listening to the radio is your particular torture, than do it.  If it's one song, pick that.  If it's comic opera, then do that.  If it's Meatloaf listen to his whole catalog in chronological order.  Auction off the right to pick the torture to the highest bidder-- it's a way for other people to participate who might not have 8 hours to spend.  Celebrity torturers would be an interesting gimmick.

Whatever raises the most money and/or makes for the most amusing story. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up