Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kimbo Goes DOWN!  (Read 1606 times)

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
Kimbo Goes DOWN!
« on: October 06, 2008, 03:20:13 AM »

I know there are only a few of us here that give a crap about MMA, and I know I just ruined it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but Kimbo Slice was handed his first professional loss this weekend. I'm by no means a Kimbo hater, but I've been saying it for a while now that all it would take is someone with even an ounce of skill to fuck him up, and that guy turned out to be Seth Petruzelli. Seth who? Exactly. Ken Shamrock, Kimbo's original opponent, got cut warming up and the commission disqualified him, so Seth - an Ultimate Fighter alum - stepped in last minute (literally). He TKO'd Kimbo in 14 seconds of the first round. Seth Petruzelli. 14 seconds in round one. And looking at the tape, he barely touched the guy. Nonetheless, this virtual unknown just made a name for himself by stopping the phenom. I'd have only been happier if Ken Shamrock would have made him tap to an ankle lock.

dirk

• City Elder
Re: Kimbo Goes DOWN!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 07:14:16 AM »

Let's not forget that Seth was going to fight at light heavyweight too.  So he was outweighed by a huge amount and still stomped his ass.

It was funny watching the announcer scramble to cover for that no-talent hack getting knocked out.  They kept harping on how "brave" it was that he took the fight at the last minute and how he had prepared for someone else.  Of course Seth did the same thing, fought up a class, and still kicked his ass.  EliteXC now has no real name talent and they are worried.  They were putting all their money on Kimbo and he got exposed in a big way.  Hopefully if they do a rematch, Seth does the same thing to him.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:56:55 AM »

Yeah, I was cracking up that they kept saying shit about him preparing for a different fighter. Let's be honest: Kimbo's got one skill and that's to hit first and hit hard. It doesn't matter that Shamrock is 20 years older and far slower than Seth. If Kimbo were a game fighter, he could've beat the snot out of Seth. I mean, Seth wasn't prepared to fight ANYBODY. He didn't even know he was fighting at all until a couple hours before the fight and still came in and smacked Kimbo around.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 12:14:32 PM »

Oops. Looks like Seth was originally scheduled to be on the undercard, so he WAS prepared to fight. My bad. Still...

matt

• Citizen
    • Every Issue Presents Itself
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »

I found it quite amusing that Tito Ortiz said that he was a week away from signing a deal with EliteXC, but then turned around and said that he's about to have back surgery and be out of commission for a year.  If you ask me, with Kimbo out as their biggest card, CBS will buckle and EliteXC will go under.  tito is using this as a bargaining chip to get back into the UFC.
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 10:35:26 PM »

I don't follow fighting of any sort, but I'm curious:

If Kimbo was such a "no-talent hack" and all it took was "someone with even an ounce of skill to fuck him up" then how/why did he get to be such an undefeated phenom in the first place?

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 11:20:09 PM »

They basically put a bunch of tomato cans in front of him.  The first fight I saw with Kimbo, he hit the guy once or twice (as the guy was running the other way almost) and then the guy dropped to the ground and tapped.  Kimbo wasn't even hitting him at the time he was tapping.  He then fought Tank Abbot, was is completely washed up and willing to basically stand in front of a younger, stronger, more in shape Kimbo and let himself get hit.  In his third fight, Kimbo was getting beaten, but for some reason his opponent came into the bout with a bad case of cauliflower ear (it looked like he had a small animal on the side of his head).  Why this wasn't drained before the fight I have no idea.  The guy was handling Kimbo fairly well when Kimbo got in a shot and popped his ear.  It looked really nasty, but the guy was in no danger, yet they stopped the fight anyway (many think it was called to protect Kimbo).  There was no reason to stop the fight, as there was no danger to the fighter, and he was winning, but they did stop it.  Ken Shamrock was another washed up fighter that Kimbo should have beaten without too much trouble.

Basically, they took a guy with a big internet rep and pushed the hell out of him and made him look good by putting people he could easily beat in front of him.  He may be an incredible street fighter (I have no idea because I don't care about street fighting), but he doesn't have the technique to survive an MMA fight with a good opponent.  He is a thug who makes the sport look bad and is only put out there for the blood thirsty dogs who want to see a knockout and don't appreciate a good fight.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

matt

• Citizen
    • Every Issue Presents Itself
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 12:40:37 AM »

Kimbo made $500,000 in that fight.  Petruzelli, who was originally on the undercard, renegotiated his contract to $35,000.  He got a $15,000 win bonus for a total of $50,000.  Sad thing is, that's probably the most that Petruzelli will ever make in a fight going forward and Kimbo will be back again to fight after the first of the year for another $500,000.

Oh... and Kimbo averaged $35,714.29 per second in the fight - more than Petruzelli for just stepping into the cage.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:44:32 AM by matt »
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa
Pages: [1]   Go Up