Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Hair Nation 10/26  (Read 30473 times)

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
Re: Hair Nation 10/26
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2008, 12:29:52 AM »

And I would like to apologize for my excessive foul language also. The music brought it out of me and I feel like I just woke up from a blackout.

Feel very exhausted and it's time for bed.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2008, 04:00:23 AM »

Well, I've got eight pages to go through, so I'm gonna quote and comment in one post here (hopefully). If I comment the same as someone else already has, I apologize.

Keel (Rock and Roll Outlaw)
Sport'n A Woody by Dangerous Toys
MSG: On and On

Man, they really dug deep for some of this stuff.

I don't know that I'd consider Keel hair metal, but I guess they have some of the attributes.

Sadly, I do know that Dangerous Toys tune. I was never into them, but one of my best friends in high school dug 'em a lot and we rode to school together, so I heard it in the car a lot. Bleh.

Barring that, you forget, I watched Headbangers Ball EVERY Saturday night for years. Unfortunately, they played hair metal about every third or fourth song in between the good stuff.

Quote from: rva
I also like Tesla, but "Signs" is kind of lame.  They really were more a 70's style hard rock band than hair metal.. not quite as hard rock as GNR, but definitely more like Aerosmith than Britny Fox.  Basically "Signs" sounds a lot like the stuff they actually do, only a cover and not as good.

Agreed. Tesla were one of the borderline hair bands I actually liked along with Def Leppard, Ratt, Dokken and a few others.

2 hours down, but boy, this one is really like nails on the chalkboard:

Saigon Kick had two bad songs, and "Love Is On the Way" was one of 'em. I absolutely LOVED these guys. Another borderline hair band.

urk. Danger Danger.  That's not so cool.  Naughty Naughty, not to be confused with Bang Bang.  Real wordsmiths, these guys.

SUCK SUCK!

Now it's Dream Theatre with Pull Me Under. I wish I could be Put Under right now.

Okay, whoever programs this station is stupid. Dream Theater weren't even CLOSE to hair metal. Not to mention they were and are completely fuckawesome.

King's X is straight up prog-rock to me; even more so than Dream Theater... and now it's Queensryche, another band I consider prog-rock.

No disrespect, but have you heard much Dream Theater? They're about 10 times more prog than King's X, who is another fave of mine.

And lumping Queensryche in with hair metal, again, is a sin.

I'm glad I wasn't listening today. I'd have sent Dangerous Darren a message or two...

Saigon Kick: Hostile Youth

Fuck yeah!

And sweet! Long Paul (the DJ torturing me with this filth) responded when I told him the glory days are over and to cut the mullet:

"So?

I go to your myspace and get Pink Bullets? Caring and compassionate as you'd
say.

Go grab a cup of coffee and stare at your shoes some more. You don't get it
and that's okay."

So, lpAZ is that DJ? Funny!

The lead singer from Whitesnake actually sounds a lot like Robert Plant in this song: Slow An Easy

He always got compared to Plant. That's why I thought it was funny when he and Jimmy Page made an album together.

Along with Myles Kennedy, Sammy Hagar, Chris Cornell, and David Grohl, Stapp is one of the rumored singers to be currently rehearsing and recording new material with legendary rock band Led Zeppelin, who are planning a reunion tour and possibly a new album that might exclude Led Zeppelin lead vocalist Robert Plant.

Let's forget for a minute that a reunion without Plant is the stupidest idea ever, but the only singer in that group that can hang with Plant is Myles Kennedy, who wouldn't get the job because nobody knows who he is.

Are you getting it?  Really getting it?  No, you're not getting it.  Or you wouldn't be playing Armageddon It.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Alright. I had to resist the urge to comment on EVERY post, but I hit all the spots I really wanted to.

Kudos, Mac. And kudos W for hanging in as well. That was a fun thread to read.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 04:02:58 AM by Wherle »

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2008, 12:40:56 PM »

Autograph: Turn up the radio.

Who the hell is Autograph?

This might be the best video I've seen all day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNb8po-ufu8

And to think that a female has probably had sex with AT LEAST one of them!

???

I'd completely forgotten Autograph but now that you've mentioned them, I met them once.

In fact, I've met about half of the bands you've mentioned during the 'thon, thanks to working at Dingleberry's in the 80's.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »

Riffing off of MK's meeting of the bands at Dingleberry's...

I just went and grabbed my stack of ticket stubs from that era (yeah, I still have them, fuck you very much). Bands mentioned in this thread that I've seen live:

Dangerous Toys (my buddy made me)
Extreme (they opened for Saigon Kick)
Saigon Kick (three times)
Dream Theater (five times)
King's X (twice)
Queensryche (eight times)
Jackyl (ugh)

And nearly every one of my ticket stubs is plastered with their signatures as well, so I met most of these dudes.

I distinctly remember waiting almost two hours outside an arena in Columbus for Queensryche to come out after the show. Three of the five guys eventually came out, shook hands, signed autographs, and for a good half hour or so, chatted up the group of about 15 or 20 of us who'd waited. While they were talking to us, Chris DeGarmo and Scott Rockenfield eventually came out and got straight on the bus without so much as a hello. I don't think I've ever been more pissed at two musicians. They didn't owe us anything, but if they'd taken 5 or 10 minutes to say hi and sign a couple autographs, everyone there would've went home happy. Eddie Jackson even did that shrug move where you kinda grit your teeth as if to say, "Sorry, guys." Michael Wilton had gotten on the bus and actually came back out after those two douchebags got on to hang even longer. Respect.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2008, 02:36:08 PM »

I can't even remember all the bands that came through the store now, but Dingleberry's was hair-band central in the 80's (much to my chagrin). A few of the bands that I remember meeting - mainly because there is photographic evidence:
Ace Frehley
Dokken
Winger
Queensryche
Poison
Faster Pussycat
Kix
Bullet Boys
Autograph
Honeymoon Suite
Four Horsemen
Sleeze Beez
Great White
Savatage
Cinderella
Lynch Mob
Vixen
Warrant
XYZ
Britny Fox
Firehouse (oh how I wanted it to be firehose instead)
Skid Row

I know there were others but I've successfully purged them from my memorybanks.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2008, 02:37:43 PM »

Oh yeah Scott, your posted reminded me - Dangerous Toys. ugh.

And I wish I could forget meeting Steve Stevens. What a tool.

rva

« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »

No disrespect, but have you heard much Dream Theater? They're about 10 times more prog than King's X, who is another fave of mine.

But doesn't King's X have all those weird concept albums, usually having to do with some sort of vague Christian theme?  Although come to think of it, I guess Dream Theater has a concept album as well, probably also having to do with some sort of vague Christian theme.

Regardless, the point is that none of them (or Queensryche) are anything remotely approaching hair metal.  Prog-metal, perhaps.  Not being a prog-guy at all, with the exception of perhaps Pink Floyd (who I really view as more of a fantastic blues/rock band that just happened to release concept albums) I have a lot of respect for all three bands, and enjoy their music in small doses, but they just aren't my bag.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2008, 05:28:25 PM »

And I would like to apologize for my excessive foul language also.

What foul language?

I just read through this whole thread and found it hilarious. Great job for hanging in there JR, and some extremely funny asides from everyone else. Wish I could have been around to help you lot with the commentary and tell my Lita Ford story, but that can wait until another time.

I'm late to the Torturethon game this time around, but you can add $10 to the kitty from me for this one. Nice work!

PS: They didn't play Hanoi Rocks the entire time you were listening? Godfathers of Hair, let alone Hair Metal, those fuckers.
Am Meer

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2008, 06:23:13 PM »

Good job!

Did they play any Ratt? Or - hair metal experts - are they not considered hair metal?
also known as rcc94

rva

« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2008, 06:38:16 PM »

They played a couple Ratt songs.  I can't remember which... "Wanted Man" and something else.

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2008, 07:29:17 PM »

Now I want to listen to Out of the Cellar.
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2008, 07:50:10 PM »

But doesn't King's X have all those weird concept albums, usually having to do with some sort of vague Christian theme?  Although come to think of it, I guess Dream Theater has a concept album as well, probably also having to do with some sort of vague Christian theme.

Regardless, the point is that none of them (or Queensryche) are anything remotely approaching hair metal.  Prog-metal, perhaps.  Not being a prog-guy at all, with the exception of perhaps Pink Floyd (who I really view as more of a fantastic blues/rock band that just happened to release concept albums) I have a lot of respect for all three bands, and enjoy their music in small doses, but they just aren't my bag.

Yeah, but I consider prog to be the guys that use a lot of odd time signatures, complicated riffs, tight stops, etc. King's X do that, but not even remotely to the degree Dream Theater do. And I'm not sure I'd put Queensryche in the prog category either. Maybe more power metal.

But, I agree: neither are anywhere close to hair metal and are out of place on a station devoted to it.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2008, 10:07:57 PM »

Well done Mac! 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2008, 10:58:51 PM »

And I would like to apologize for my excessive foul language also.

What foul language?

I just read through this whole thread and found it hilarious. Great job for hanging in there JR, and some extremely funny asides from everyone else. Wish I could have been around to help you lot with the commentary and tell my Lita Ford story, but that can wait until another time.

I'm late to the Torturethon game this time around, but you can add $10 to the kitty from me for this one. Nice work!

PS: They didn't play Hanoi Rocks the entire time you were listening? Godfathers of Hair, let alone Hair Metal, those fuckers.

Thanks Rafe!!

And yes, Ratt was played. And yes, it sucked. I'm in a much better mood today, but man, I haven't been that mad in years. Probably since Bush got re-elected.

And Wherle, yes that was the dj from the station who posted and I thought his email was hilarious. Very clever of him to pull up my myspace page.

And Mick Mars is still a pussy.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2008, 08:29:10 PM »

Just saw this and thought of the earlier conversation on this thread ...

Quote from: BBCNews.com
Zep warned off 'pointless' tour

Led Zeppelin should not hit the road for a major tour with a new singer, promoter Harvey Goldsmith has said.

Members of the legendary rock group have auditioned vocalists to take the place of frontman Robert Plant.

"I certainly don't think they should do a big tour because I can't see the point of it," Goldsmith said.

Goldsmith, who promoted the band in the 1970s and '80s, as well as their one-off reunion last year, added there may be "some opportunities" for a reunion.

He added that, should guitarist Jimmy Page, bassist John Paul Jones and drummer Jason Bonham recruit a new singer, they would be likely to tour under a different name.

"I doubt it will be called Led Zeppelin," Goldsmith told BBC News.

But he said: "I just think it's a lot of talk, I think it's wishful thinking. Whether they all come together and do something in the future, they may.

"I think some of the band really want to go out and do it and other parts of the band need to understand why they're doing it, and if there's no compelling reason to do it, then they shouldn't do it.

"I think that there is an opportunity for them to go out and present themselves. I don't think a long rambling tour is the answer as Led Zeppelin."

"It's a question of whether they want to do it, and you've got to want to do it," he went on.

"Otherwise it's done for the wrong reasons, and when things are done for the wrong reasons, they don't work."

Speaking at the MusExpo music conference in London, Goldsmith said he would "hopefully" be involved in any comeback.

Any potential gigs could be "cause related", he said, or "opportunities to view them in a different way".

The band, including Plant, performed at a tribute gig to late Atlantic Records boss Ahmet Ertegun at the O2 in London last December. That was their first show for 19 years.

Last month, the singer said he would not be going on the road with the group. His former bandmates have now confirmed that a new singer is being sought.

Jones told BBC Radio Devon: "We are trying out a couple of singers.

"We want to do it. It's sounding great and we want to get on and get out there."

He said they did not want a replica of Plant. "It's got to be right," he said. "There's no point in just finding another Robert.

"You could get that out of a tribute band, but we don't want to be our own tribute band.

"There would be a record and a tour, but everyone has to be on board."
I gather speed from you fucking with me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up