Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LoveFriends  (Read 14193 times)

ebadra

• Citizen
LoveFriends
« on: November 01, 2008, 01:09:20 PM »

I've delayed the inevitable long enough, I suppose. Tomorrow my soundtrack for football will be The Cardigans' "Lovefool" for six hours, followed by The Rembrandts' "I'll Be There For You" AKA The Friends Theme Song for another six.

Some projections: I don't think The Cardigans is going to be too unbearable - you can't deny that it is at the very least a catchy song, and there's the silly factor to take into account. The Rembrandts, however, is going to be more of an ordeal, bringing up memories of 90s sitcoms left and right, and that damn clapping! I'll be keeping a running log throughout all this, and hopefully future generations will use it as a cautionary tale.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 01:12:10 PM by ebadra »

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
Re: LoveFriends
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »

Good luck!
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

ebadra

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 01:35:15 PM »

In order to set the stage, let's take a look at the two bands' illustrious histories, so that we may better understand the pinnacle of their artistic endeavors.

Per Wikipedia: "The Cardigans is a Swedish English language band formed in the town of Jönköping in 1992. The band's musical style has varied greatly from album to album and encompasses their early indie leanings passing through '60s-inspired pop and more band-based rock."

The band was formed by Peter Svensson and Magnus Sveningsson on Halloween night in 1992. Prior, the two had been heavy metal musicians, but I guess were tired of the limitations of the medium and decided to go for a more retro pop music thing.

Their debut album, Emmerdale, was released in 1994 in Japan and Sweden, though it did see an international re-release in 1997. At the time, The Cardigans were an unknown force, enjoying moderate success in Japan, but what isn't successful in Japan? Their sophomore effort, Life, has been interpreted as a satire on Emmerdale, and signified the band moving in a more avant-garde direction.

Then came 1996's First Band On The Moon.

The single to come out of this release was none other than "Lovefool". Though not representative of the rest of the album's sound, the single quickly shot to platinum in just three weeks, enjoying a large-scale feature in William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet.

"Lovefool" would reach number 2 on the UK singles charts, number 1 on the US Bilboard charts, and enjoyed a fair amount of success in the rest of Europe. Since its release, "Lovefool" has shown up in numerous popular movies and shows: it is featured in an episode of Nip Tuck, in the movie Cruel Intentions, My Name is Earl, the British flick Hot Fuzz, and on Beverley Hills 90210 the band made an appearance and performed the song.

Stay tuned for The Rembrandts' thrilling biography and their rise to prominence on the shoulders of one of the biggest television shows of all-time.

Dear, I fear we're facing a problem
you love me no longer, I know
and maybe there is nothing
that I can do to make you do
Mama tells me I shouldn't bother
that I ought just stick to another man
a man that surely deserves me
but I think you do!

So I cry, and I pray and I beg

Love me love me
say that you love me
fool me fool me
go on and fool me
love me love me
pretend that you love me
leave me leave me
just say that you need me

So I cried, and I begged for you to
Love me love me
say that you love me
leave me leave me
I can't care about anything but you

Lately I have desperately pondered,
spent my nights awake and I wonder
what I could have done in another way
to make you stay
Reason will not pledge a solution
I will end up lost in confusion
I don't care if you really care
as long as you don't go

So I cry, I pray and I beg

Love me love me
say that you love me
fool me fool me
go on and fool me
love me love me
pretend that you love me
leave me leave me

So I cried, and I begged for you to
Love me love me
say that you love me
leave me leave me

(anything but you)

Love me love me
say that you love me
fool me fool me
go on and fool me
Love me love me
I know that you need me

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 01:52:47 PM »

Wow, 12 hours!
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 08:06:20 PM »

Why would you name your band after a sweater?

Why would you pronounce it "pleeeedge"?

Man... that's a sad sad song. It's so poppy and upbeat that I never realized how pathetic the singer is that she can't move on.
(okay okay, I know we've all been there...but still.)

ebadra

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 12:22:14 PM »

And I'm off.

12:19 PM: Unfortunately it looks like I'm only going to be able to go for four hours on this one - I have dinner plans and can't very well go around with a headphone in my ear. It will be a saturated four hours, though. I've got a CD burned in case I need to drive anywhere (probably for cigarettes and booze with the way this will go).

I crunched some numbers, and at about 3:20, we're looking at just about 72 listens to get through the four hours. At listen number three, however, all is well.

Here's the cinematic masterpiece that is the music video for those wondering what a Cardigans music video is like. I know I did.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »

Well, remember you can actually finish the other 4 hours at some other point in the week.

"But it's for the children" 

"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

ebadra

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 01:25:47 PM »

I guess I'll add four hours in on another day now that the deadline has been extended. I missed that somehow.

1:18: I'm about eighteen listens in, and things are starting to get a little warped. Things were fine for awhile, but now the song is starting to phase in an out of what my ear decides to listen to and what it decides to ignore. What happens without fail each time is that the song will end, and my ears will perk up, expecting another song to start. And then "Lovefool" starts.

As I think about it, this song is actually pretty effed up. It's basically about this woman who is telling her lover that he may lie, cheat, and otherwise be awful to her as long as she can continue to delude herself into thinking that everything's hunky dory. There's this thin little distorted guitar line that plays during the bridge in the chorus that actually sounds kinda cool, though...

ebadra

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »

1:44: Why does all dance music from the 90s use that effect where it's like the singer is singing through a megaphone...?

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008, 01:51:56 PM »

I remember when this came out and how cute the singer was. She does have some pretty eyes.

I would also imagin the beep beep thing during the verses is getting tough. Glad I'M not listening to it!

Oh, and are you still doing your other song too?

ebadra

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008, 02:02:18 PM »

I remember when this came out and how cute the singer was. She does have some pretty eyes.

I would also imagin the beep beep thing during the verses is getting tough. Glad I'M not listening to it!

Oh, and are you still doing your other song too?

Yeah, that'll happen tomorrow.

I didn't notice the beeping until you mentioned it, but don't worry cause now it's difficult.

At about 30 listens now, pushing past the 90-minute mark. I've started sneezing having been not sneezing before this started. Coincidence? My theory is that the really distorted guitar is sending sharp soundwaves through my nostrils and tickling my nose enough to have me sneezing.

ebadra

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »

2:37: I've lost count of the number of playthroughs, but it's getting up there. Two hours in and all I can see in my head are those bright and sunny 90s music videos with greasy guys in sunglasses and beach volleyball and weird camera effects.

Nina Persson is still a member of The Cardigans, but in 2001 released her own solo album under the moniker "A Camp". The music is described as "an minimalist fusion of eclecticism and americana" and was critically praised on its release. A Camp has also recorded another album entitled "Colonia". The first single is to air on Swedish radio on November 17th, and the album is set to hit stores in January of 2009. Mark your calendars!

Anything but youuuu...

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008, 03:25:16 PM »

I absolutely love The Cardigans, particularly their earlier stuff. Not for 6 hours straight, though. Good job so far!

It could be worse - you could be listening to ABBA.
Am Meer

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »

I didn't really like the song when it came out, but it grew on me (Like a fungus!)  I kind of like that the lyrics are all depressing and gloomy, but the song is so poppy.

Hang in there!

ebadra

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 04:02:08 PM »

3:53: Just over half an hour to go. Remember silence, you guys?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up