Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Butterflies in my trousers?  (Read 7654 times)

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Butterflies in my trousers?
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:45:56 PM »

OK, if that isn't enough of a teaser, I don't know what is.  :p

I did the 'Thon about a week ago, and I couldn't be at the computer all day, and so I took the ipod with me on my voyage.  The song I ended up listening to 158 times was the immortal classic 'Blueberries For Breakfast' by the Mamas and the Papas.  You can check it out here if you want to play along.  I elected to write a few longer entries instead of the typical one sentence 'I'm gonna beat my head into a wall' sort of stuff mainly and I think I'm going to try and space this out a little to emulate what might have been a LIVE scrobbling of my thoughts.  So, yeah.

Off we go.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Re: Butterflies in my trousers?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 01:56:33 PM »

11:00 - What does a serious drug problem, a band out of ideas, and a contractual obligation sound like?  If you said The Spaghetti Incident?, you wouldn't be that far off.  Actually though, I'm thinking the Mamas & The Papas.  Everyone knows their classic songs like 'California Dreaming,' 'Monday Monday,' and 'Go Where You Wanna Go,' but few people remember that they broke up after a three and a half year run, overcome by the excesses of fame, drugs, sex, and lunch specials.  Not to mention the world was just tired of the sweet vocal harmonies and pleasant vibe the Mamas & The Papas were putting out there.  Anyhow, MCA wasn't having any of that, having signed the group to a four-record deal, and only receiving three albums.  What followed may not be the worst album ever recorded, but it might be close, and the closing track on 1971's People Like Us sets new marks for unintentional comedy, IMO.  I give you 'Blueberries For Breakfast.'

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 02:13:51 PM »

11:10 - The song itself isn't unlike many of the ones which made the M&TPs famous (I'm using this abbreviation from now on, to save some typing).  It's got pleasant vocals, some lite instrumentation to make it palatable, but something's not right, underneath.  It sounds like a band going through the motions in a way.  People Like Us was marketed as a comeback album after being out of the public eye and it was not commercially or critically acclaimed.  The disc does work as background music, interestingly enough if you don't pay attention to the vocals...and that's where the dark, creepy, WTF?!?!?!? vibe rears its drug-infested head. 

You remember those anti-drug videos from the 80s?  'This is your brain on drugs.'  'I learned it from watching you,' etc.  Millions and millions of dollars were spent on those things, which ultimately never served their purpose.  The government could have saved all that cash if they just licensed 'Blueberries For Breakfast' from John Phillips.  THIS is your brain on drugs. 

It should have been obvious from the tracklisting that this is a drug album, plain and simple.  With song titles like 'Snowqueen of Texas' (Cocaine) and 'Pacific Coast Highway' (the epicenter of the drug trafficking movement on the West Coast), the album is what a bad drug trip sounds like. 

But enough of the backstory, 'BFB' is the song of all songs for paranoid, schizophrenic drug addiction, IMO.  It starts off simply enough, with some strange lyrical choices, that if you didn't know the backstory, you could pass off as weird hippie talk.

Blueberries for breakfast, love in the afternoon,
Butterflies in my trousers under the August moon...
Blueberries for breakfast, love in the afternoon,
Butterflies in my trousers under the August moon...

Butterflies in my trousers, eh?  I don't know if I want to get into the logistics of such a thing happening, but I can't imagine it would be a pleasant experience.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »

11:45 - Lyrics continued...

Drive you to the airport; wait 'til it's time to go.
I've checked the weather report; they say it will not snow
And all the planes can come and go.
But I think the ceiling is too low,
So you can't go.

I'm almost convinced this song is about drug-trafficking at this point.  Another reference to 'snow,' but the 'ceiling is too low' line could mean a couple of things.  One, the literal:  The ceiling in the plane is TOO LOW.  Some of those 50-100 seaters people are wedged in there, and it's somewhat well known that John Phillips is 6'5", thereby making it an even tighter fit for him.  But then the person in the song isn't Phillips if this is the case, or at least it's someone who's a lot physically smaller than him.  But it's Phillips singing the line!  So I'm guessing he's having an out-of-body experience caused by mounds and mounds of cocaine.  Or he's schizophrenic. 

The second explanation could be a code.  'The ceiling is too low' meaning that if the person boarding the plane is carrying with them large amounts of cocaine, he or she will be apprehended shortly upon arrival.  There's no wiggle-room to get out of it, so the trafficker 'can't go' to deliver the possibly 80% Colombian pure. 

Or there's the third explanation, which is the airplane jargon for the 'ceiling being too low' meaning the clouds are close to the ground, making takeoff difficult.  Of course, ingesting massive amounts of coke can cause one to 'take off' and 'fly high' as well. 

Either of these three explanations are plausible.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 02:52:16 PM »

12:30:

The chorus seeps into your brain, like an LSD tablet.  Even though the M&TPs are past their prime, they still can sing the shit out of most anything they want.  It's amazing at their peak of drug consumption, they sound great!  It makes the relatively clean & sober singers of today sound like the robots they are.  Here's a thought:  What if we took some of those American Idol singers, who obviously have the pipes to sing, loaded them up on coke for three years, and gave them carte blanche in the studio?  They can write what they want, sing what they want, choose the instrumentation.  Wouldn't the results be a 1000 X more interesting than the processed carefully marketed, overexposed music that normally comes out of an A.I. contestant?  I think we should make Paula Abdul the overseer of this idea.  Hell, she's high right now probably!  We could even tailor the drugs to the artists.  Like this year's winner David Cook looks like he should be doing heroin.  Daughtry needs to be on 'roids.  Or maybe that should be saved for David Archualeta, because 'roids create testosterone, which the boy needs in large amounts.  The possibilities here are endless.  Let's make this happen!!!

Anyhow, sometimes I like to read the allmusic guide to learn more about albums.  I love how the entry for People Like Us has one paragraph, which essentially reads 'well, this album isn't completely horrible,' as if that's the biggest compliment the writer could come up with.  He does mention the similarities to John Phillip's solo work, which is about as identifiable as the Tone Loc album that didn't have 'Funky Cold Medina' on it.  Here's a question:  Who was the better artist from Delicious Vinyl in the late 80s?  Young MC or Tone Loc.  My money's on Young MC, and here's why...

Marvin Young (Young MC) was a hip-hop genius for about a eight-month run.  Not only did he sing 'Bust A Move,' which is still ubiquitously played (rightfully so), he also co-wrote Tone Loc's big hits 'Funky Cold Medina' and 'Wild Thing!'  And he's responsible for the criminally underrated 'Principal's Office,' which belongs on the list of great 'I hate school' sorts of songs.  The kicker?  He was ONLY TWENTY-ONE YEARS OLD AT THE TIME!!!  The dude writes three top-ten songs during the golden age of hip-hop in the span of a year, and Tone Loc stars later in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.  It's not even close here, people. 

This is what I think of in my spare time.  Pairing which one-album wonder had the better 'career.'  Next up will be Trixter vs. Saigon Kick.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »

1:30 - Second Verse, Same As The First

New York fire [?]
Burning just a little too bright.
Manhattan firefly, never make it through the night.
Somehow she came out alright;
Through the darkness, see her light shining bright.

All the lyric sites seem to think the first line is 'New York Fire' but there's a whole lot more to the line they (and I) cannot make out.  It almost sounds like 'Stop, New York Fire my Rape' which obviously refers to the disaster season that was the 1970 New York Jets.  They finished 4-10, and their signature player 'Broadway' Joe Namath only played in five games.  In fact, Namath was never the same QB after his first injury, and his statistics overall aren't that memorable, finishing with a career W-L record of 77-108-3 and 173 TDs to 220 INTs.  Almost no one I know remembers this about the guy.  Just like no one remembers this goddamn song when they think of the M&TPs.  Coincidence???????????

OK, ok, I obviously have no idea what the first line is about (I just wanted an excuse to link to this clip because we need to remember how awesome it is).  However, this one again is a thinly veiled metaphor to the perils of drug abuse.  Or a fascination with entomology.  You might laugh, but how many of your 'stoner' friends have fascinations with snakes, or pet tarantulas, or other exotic pets?  Maybe fireflies were the Baby Boomer's equivalent of that on the West Coast.  Come to think of it...maybe THAT was what John was singing about in the first verse!  Good God, I've got it all wrong.  He was just a major obsessive bug importer/exporter! 

Seriously though, don't take drugs and write lyrics.  This verse is so full of cliches referencing overdoses and near-deaths I'm not sure I want to comment on it.  But I have five and a half hours left, and what else will I write about?  Sigh...

I fruitlessly searched on Google for whatever 'Manhattan Firefly' is just now, and while nothing comes up except for a USB Keyboard thingy, I'm convinced this is some kind of code for high quality cocaine.  Why else would it 'never make it through the night' unless it was some powerful, popular stuff?  The girl who 'burns too bright' who 'somehow comes out alright' obviously OD'd on this particular brand.  Maybe she had a big problem, maybe she took a dare.  Maybe the wager was something like 'OK John, if I do this whole pile of coke and come out alive, you have to include me in one of your songs.'  And since drugs make you susceptible to agreeing with people, John said yes, and here we are, listening to this.  I cannot contain my overjoymentedness.

'Through the Darkness, see her light shining bright.'  She's passed out, but through the haze of narcotics, everyone realized what happened to the missing glow sticks.  Also, it will be long past sundown before this thing is finished, and my 'light' is fading at a fast rate.  Time for some caffeine.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 03:50:00 PM »

2:30

I'm already sick of this song.  I manage to push it into the background during the verses, but the chorus...ugh.  I can't escape it.  Those harmonies!!!  It's no wonder they were so popular during the mid-60s.  They were mentioned in the same breath as the Beatles & The Stones as far as that goes!!!  ?!?!?!?!?!  What a crazy time to be into music. 

My wife has gone into our bedroom to escape this insanity, and I'm half-tempted now to follow her around the house, Macbook in hand, to see what happens.  Just go from room to room while she first asks what I'm doing, then watch her go from that to asking me to leave, then threatening me if I DON'T leave, to throwing pillows at me, to locking herself in the bathroom with a bottle of Jim Beam and some Zoloft, crying softly.  Marriage!  It's fantastic!!!

Could that qualify as emotional abuse?  I would say probably, but that's NOTHING compared with Michelle Phillips.  Michelle & John were married when she was 18, and I'm betting their volatile marriage was at least part of the reason John turned to drugs.  They along with Cass Elliot and Denny Doherty formed TM&TPs in 1965, and later that year, Michelle was already 'involved' with Doherty.  John later learned about the affair catching both Doherty and Michelle in the act at their house.  Michelle then hooked up with Gene Clark of the Byrds.  After seeing her blow kisses to Clark in the front row during one of TM&TPs shows, John decided he had enough.  Michelle was actually kicked out of the band for about three months.  The band continued to have problems, both interpersonal and their own demons until they officially called it quits right after People Like Us

But imagine John for a second.  Catching your wife involved with the guy you started the band with, and then a few months later, the pain of a divorce still fresh, watching her blow kisses to her new boyfriend.  Soul.  Crushing.  And then having to keep the band together because you owe the record label four more albums on top of that!  Now picture that and then the vocal harmonies, so sweet, bright, and positive.  Can the Academy Awards be given out to bands next time?

Michelle is the only one still alive out of the original group, which proves to me she-devils are immortal.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 04:03:27 PM »

3:30

Have you SEEN this album cover?  WOW!  I never noticed it until now, but at least two possibly three people on the front are tripping balls!  Check it. 

John, located on the right,  is stoned out of his gourd.  In fact, the only one who isn't high might be Michelle, who looks to be saying quietly 'Why did I ever say yes to this project?'  Fuck it, I'm not even going to look at the camera.'  What a PERFECT shot that describes the upcoming album experience.  It's no fun when you're the only one who isn't high, and drugs bring people together...until you come down.  Which brings us to the 3rd verse of this song.

Wait, Jen's talking to me...what?  @$$&@(&!!!! Damn.  I forgot I was supposed to go to Target this afternoon with her.  You know what that means...(grabs ipod and headphones, cues up 'Blueberries For Breakfast')

I realize the last paragraph read like I was high, but you'll have to decide for yourselves if that was intentional or not.  (Gives smile and stare like John Phillips)

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »

4:00

I've always frowned upon people a little who wear their ipods everywhere.  Is it really THAT important to be listening to music every second of your day?  No interacting with people, or the outside world.  Just a thousand-yard stare as life goes on around them.  So, it somewhat pains me to acquiesce to this lifestyle.  I am one of those people now.  And I'm getting stares.  (Checks volume level)

It's weird to be shopping with this song in my ears.  Like I said, if it wasn't for the lyrics, this would seem like great background music to consume to.  I would be probably be drawn towards fine handbags or pleated shorts.  This seems like a great tune for TJ-MAXX shoppers. 

The 'Butterflies In My Trousers' line comes up yet again and I start to think about the future of shopping.  If humanity is still here in 20 years, will retail stores start to use the background music in less subtle ways to sell products?  For example, what if Lee or Mossimo or other fine trouser producers were able to sell ones with butterflies in the pockets?  It sounds a bit far-fetched yes, and I'm sure this song is getting to me in ways I cannot possibly comprehend, but the question remains:  Let's say you're walking by button-down shirts, and the overhead song you're hearing is the latest jam from the youngest Jackson child, Blanket, where he's talking about how button-down shirts with plaid designs are the nuke (because twenty years from now, saying something is 'the bomb' will be as antiquated as 'Consarn it!' is today).  So this shirt is the Nuke, and it's the shirt you happen to be looking at on the rack.  What if you could do that with every product in a store?  Would it be a) the most ingenious individual marketing strategy in history or b) ever more reason to stay home and shop online?  Discuss.

I thought of this by the men's slacks section, in case you happen to be in Target currently and reading this on your iphone, blackberry, or Desktop PC. 

This is where I met Shawn.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 04:21:41 PM by Nate »

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 04:55:38 PM »

4:20

"Hey man, you got an ipod?"

I'm immersed in what I estimate is the 271st chorus of 'Blueberries For Breakfast' while pricing novelty T-shirts like the Ghostbusters logo and 'This Is How I Roll (featuring a classy image of a toilet paper roll) so I don't completely hear this right away.  Plus, Jen is on the other side of the store, I guess, looking at Legos™.  (Don't ask, long story there)

Tap tap tap.

"Hey, that's an ipod, right?"

I cautiously turn around and see a young man in his mid 20s.  He's wearing a Chicago Bulls jersey, number partially obscured by the huge jacket over it.  A new white Yankees cap is tilted sideways on his head, tag still attached, danging over his left ear.  He is holding an ipod nano.  Looks to be a new model. 

"Yeah, it's an ipod."  I hold it up.

"Cool, cool.  I'm Shawn.  Say uhh...do you want to trade?"

"What?"

"You know, trade.  Like I give you my ipod to listen to, and you can listen to mine."

"..."

"I do this all the time.  I like to hear other people's songs and stuff."

I look around to see if anyone else is overhearing this conversation.  Mostly for witnesses I can call on later when the police report is filed.

"It's cool, man.  I'm not going to take your ipod.  You'll have mine, and besides, mine's worth more than yours, probably.  (Chuckle)"

"Well, mine's not that old.  It's only about a year..."

"I'm just playing, I'm just playing.  So...are you in?"

Suddenly, I feel like I'm taking part in a drug deal.  Like this is the part where I ask for how many kilos I want.  Shit, this song's getting to me.  I focus long enough to remember reading about stuff like this happening, where people are randomly exchanging ipods with strangers for a few minutes to share music.  This was happening in New York though (according to the New York Times), and not suburban Target stores in Minnesota.  But still, part of me wants to see what will happen when he hears the song currently playing on mine.

"Well...ok, man.  Pass me yours first, though."  (In case you run off with mine, I'll have your nano to sell, I think)

"All right!"

So in the middle of the aisle between men's slacks and shoes, we exchange ipods.  I plug the headphones in and am immediately assaulted at top volume by T.I...or is Lil' Wayne?  Damn...how could he hear me over this?  I adjust the volume down and look at my new friend Shawn as he plugs in his earbuds.  He sits there for a few second with a quizzical look on his face, like he's been set up. 

"Did they say butterflies in my trousers?"

"Yup."

"..."

"Word," I reply.

His face alternates between amusement, disgust, and the look one gets during an Advanced Algebra class.  He was NOT expecting this.  He tries to flip to the next song, but I have the ipod set up to repeat 'Blueberries For Breakfast,' and his look becomes panicked as the next button does nothing.  Be careful what you ask for, I smile to myself.  I don't know how much time passed, but it couldn't have been more than two minutes.  He unplugged the earphones, handing the ipod back to me.

"Cool...cool, hey man, you got some uhh...interesting music there.  It's cool, it's cool."  He never once looks up at me while this exchange occurs.

"Yeah, same to you.  Lil' Wayne....yeah.  Cool.

"Yeah, it's cool."

"It's cool."

With how many times we both say 'It's cool,' I feel like I'm turning down his request to have me buy eight kilos instead of the previously agreed on amount of four. 

"All right man, thanks."  He could not get out of there fast enough.

"Yup."  I can't believe there isn't anyone around to see this because I'm sure no one will believe me later.  Surreal with a capital S.  I deserve a 'This Is How I Roll' tee, I believe.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 05:10:38 PM »

4:20

"Hey man, you got an ipod?"

I'm immersed in what I estimate is the 271st chorus of 'Blueberries For Breakfast' while pricing novelty T-shirts like the Ghostbusters logo and 'This Is How I Roll (featuring a classy image of a toilet paper roll) so I don't completely hear this right away.  Plus, Jen is on the other side of the store, I guess, looking at Legos™.  (Don't ask, long story there)

Tap tap tap.

"Hey, that's an ipod, right?"

I cautiously turn around and see a young man in his mid 20s.  He's wearing a Chicago Bulls jersey, number partially obscured by the huge jacket over it.  A new white Yankees cap is tilted sideways on his head, tag still attached, danging over his left ear.  He is holding an ipod nano.  Looks to be a new model. 

"Yeah, it's an ipod."  I hold it up.

"Cool, cool.  I'm Shawn.  Say uhh...do you want to trade?"

"What?"

"You know, trade.  Like I give you my ipod to listen to, and you can listen to mine."

"..."

"I do this all the time.  I like to hear other people's songs and stuff."

I look around to see if anyone else is overhearing this conversation.  Mostly for witnesses I can call on later when the police report is filed.

"It's cool, man.  I'm not going to take your ipod.  You'll have mine, and besides, mine's worth more than yours, probably.  (Chuckle)"

"Well, mine's not that old.  It's only about a year..."

"I'm just playing, I'm just playing.  So...are you in?"

Suddenly, I feel like I'm taking part in a drug deal.  Like this is the part where I ask for how many kilos I want.  Shit, this song's getting to me.  I focus long enough to remember reading about stuff like this happening, where people are randomly exchanging ipods with strangers for a few minutes to share music.  This was happening in New York though (according to the New York Times), and not suburban Target stores in Minnesota.  But still, part of me wants to see what will happen when he hears the song currently playing on mine.

"Well...ok, man.  Pass me yours first, though."  (In case you run off with mine, I'll have your nano to sell, I think)

"All right!"

So in the middle of the aisle between men's slacks and shoes, we exchange ipods.  I plug the headphones in and am immediately assaulted at top volume by T.I...or is Lil' Wayne?  Damn...how could he hear me over this?  I adjust the volume down and look at my new friend Shawn as he plugs in his earbuds.  He sits there for a few second with a quizzical look on his face, like he's been set up. 

"Did they say butterflies in my trousers?"

"Yup."

"..."

"Word," I reply.

His face alternates between amusement, disgust, and the look one gets during an Advanced Algebra class.  He was NOT expecting this.  He tries to flip to the next song, but I have the ipod set up to repeat 'Blueberries For Breakfast,' and his look becomes panicked as the next button does nothing.  Be careful what you ask for, I smile to myself.  I don't know how much time passed, but it couldn't have been more than two minutes.  He unplugged the earphones, handing the ipod back to me.

"Cool...cool, hey man, you got some uhh...interesting music there.  It's cool, it's cool."  He never once looks up at me while this exchange occurs.

"Yeah, same to you.  Lil' Wayne....yeah.  Cool.

"Yeah, it's cool."

"It's cool."

With how many times we both say 'It's cool,' I feel like I'm turning down his request to have me buy eight kilos instead of the previously agreed on amount of four. 

"All right man, thanks."  He could not get out of there fast enough.

"Yup."  I can't believe there isn't anyone around to see this because I'm sure no one will believe me later.  Surreal with a capital S.  I deserve a 'This Is How I Roll' tee, I believe.

HILARIOUS!!
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 05:21:58 PM »

5:15 (or so)

Home finally.  Nothing eventful like that happens (thankfully) during the rest of the time at Target.  Back to the computer.  

I should probably get to the third verse of this song, which some could say is a goddamn travishmockery I haven't talked about it yet, considering it's THE reason I picked this song to begin with.  Remember way back I talked about 'schizophrenic' and 'paranoid?'  Wow.  The song takes a dramatic turn with the final verse.  We'll go line by line here to set this one up the right way.

I'm gonna have to call the cops, if you don't leave me alone.

Errr...what?  What the hell?

Stop waiting at the bus stop, trying to walk me home.

Uhh...

The FBI, the CIA, you know they'll never leave you alone -

Is this about Jason Bourne?  

And I will cut you to the bone. (Maniacal laughter)

What.
The.
Fuck.

How did...why would...where's the explanation...it's absolutely INSANE!!!  Just to go off on this tangent from singing about August moons and afternoon loving, and then to shivving someone!  It's delusional, psychotic, and sounds like a drug trip gone horribly wrong.  To be paranoid about government agents following you around or people trying to 'walk you home,' it's SUCH a departure from the rest of the song it's hilarious.  In the same sort of way that Lindsey Lohan is hilarious, or M. Night Shamalayanaananee30380rhfn-=233VBDW@#@an is hilarious.  It's such a trainwreck you can't help but laugh to disguise the general level of discomfort and incredulity hearing John Phillips sing the last line.  

Knowing what these guys and gals went through during their time in the band, I don't know if they're joking around.  If it was Weird Al, it'd be one thing, but not knowing if they're serious...it's EVEN MORE creepy and just..weird. This is a band in full meltdown, not giving a flying fark about any of it anymore.  I can't imagine making a list of the most unintentionally funny songs and NOT putting 'Blueberries For Breakfast' on it.  Can you?  I've heard this hundreds of times now and I still can't get over how absurd the last verse is.  I probably never will.

So there you have it...the song is about smuggling drugs, overdosing, and evading the PO-lice with all the facts in mind.  Dr. Dre has NOTHING on the original West Coast Playas...the Mamas & The Papas.  

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 05:23:27 PM »

Quote from: Nate
So in the middle of the aisle between men's slacks and shoes, we exchange ipods.

[singing]Love ... exciting and new ...[/singing]
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 05:36:23 PM »

6:15

What?  It's not seven yet?  Goddammit!

I'm almost done with the song.  I mean like forever done.  I can't imagine putting this on at a party or for my own personal amusement, even.  But I got to fill some more time, and so...

Another question:  There are two groups where three of the four original members are deceased.  One is the Mamas & The Papas, the other the Ramones.  Michelle and Tommy Ramone are the remaining members.  If you had to choose one to write and record a pop anthem which would restore them to greatness, who would you choose and why?

I would have to go with Tommy here, only because he recorded Tim by the Replacements, and I'm such a homer.  But I think Michelle would have almost as equal a shot.  Look at all the singers of the 60s and the 70s who record 'standards' now, and the commercial success they've had.  Rod Stewart, Neil Diamond, Aretha Franklin.  Is it wrong to presume Michelle Phillips could have the same fate if she wanted?  People love that nostalgia angle.  Maybe Tommy could produce her...

Well, I've run out of stuff to say about the Mamas & The Papas.  I just think any future best-of compilations involving the group need to have 'Blueberries For Breakfast' on it, hopefully closing the album.  That'd be my wish.

So, the next time you suspect a FBI agent is following you home from the bus stop, cut your drug-dealing friend a deep hole as long as the blade itself, laughing while you do it, and then go shake the butterflies out from under your trousers, you demented homicidal hippie, you.

Total times listened to 'Butterflies For Breakfast' - 157
Total times listened to Lil' Wayne's 'Pussy Monster' - 1

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 05:37:20 PM »

Had to check out my Cass Elliot bio to see what it said about this song and/or album. From page 311:

[/quote]The four of them were rarely in the studio together and the tracks were mostly dubbed one vocal at a time. John had decided that as well as writing the songs, he would produce the album and it was only his painstaking hours of splicing tape together that created the illusion of supposedly live harmony. ...

The atmosphere during the sessions could not have been further from the closeness they had originally known.[/quote]
I gather speed from you fucking with me.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up