Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Food Musings...  (Read 74454 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Random Food Musings...
« Reply #1050 on: December 13, 2017, 11:03:28 AM »

yeah, i don't know why you bother either
poach eggs, not elephants

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1051 on: December 13, 2017, 04:26:50 PM »

Well, we agree on something, I guess.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1052 on: March 08, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »

Hey recipe bloggers,

Can we get something straight?  A meal that still has to be assembled and cooked is NOT a "make-ahead" meal.  Generously, we could call it a "prep-ahead" meal.  Except that shouldn't even be a thing.  Because really, that's just a regular-ass meal.

Everyone is already familiar with the fact that you can put raw vegetables and meat in the freezer.  Id' go so far as to say that's what the goddamn freezer is for.  oooh, twist you cut it up first.  BFD.  Did you think people couldn't figure that out?  I don't need a special "make-ahead" recipe for that, I can literally take any recipe I want and just prep and freeze ahead of time.

It's not a "make-ahead" meal, unless it's ALREADY MADE.  AHEAD.  MADE=COOKED.

I propose a new 5 point ANSI compliance standard for a meal to be designated as "make-ahead."

1)  The meal takes less than 15 minutes to the table.  I'll be generous and say that oven pre-heat time does not count as part of the 15 minutes.  Thawing time DOES count.  Which means if it needs to thaw, it's out because nothing frozen thaws in 15 minutes.  Also, THIS MEANS THAT SLOW COOKER MEALS ARE NOT MADE AHEAD.  I can't think of anything less "made ahead" than needing to wait four fucking hours for the meal to be completed.  There's nothing wrong with slow-cooker meals.  They're still convenient in their own way.  They're just not made-ahead.

2)  The meal requires less than 1 minute of assembly time/activity.  This generally means <10 seconds -- I just throw something in the microwave, on the stove, or in the oven.  However, I will accept foods that normally require assembly post-cooking and are typically served separately eg. fajitas or tacos, sauce and pasta, stir-fry and rice.  But ONLY if ALL the separate components also meet make-ahead standards.  I can cook pasta in 10 minutes.  I can nuke pre-made rice or warm store-bought tortillas.  That counts.  Having to make a pizza crust does NOT count.

3)  The meal can be stored in the freezer for at least two weeks.  If I can only keep it in the refrigerator and have to eat it within a week, that's not a make-ahead meal.  That's leftovers.

4)  MAKE=COOK.  I can't stress this enough.  Things that are served cold are fine, as long as they were cooked first.  A green salad is not a make-ahead meal.  A potato salad, pasta salad or chicken salad IS a make-ahead meal.

5)  The meal must have the ability to be stored and re-heated in individual serving sizes or any size desired.  ie. casseroles, meatloafs, lasaganas, mac and cheese, and the like must be divided. Instructions must be included for how this is accomplished.  Cooking in ramekins/other individual size portions, or cooked first and divided into ziploc bags, tupperware, aluminum foil wrap-- all are acceptable.  But no one has room to store a giant casserole dish in their freezer for a month and no one wants to eat an entire casserole in one sitting.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #1053 on: March 08, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »

Preach ZK!

You know what drives me crazy about recipes these days - and it isn't just a food blogger thing, although it seems most prevalent with them - when the recipe calls for celery, they say "one stalk of celery" when what they actually mean is "one rib of celery." A stalk is the entire vegetable, a rib is one portion of the entire vegetable.

This concept was beaten into my brain when I took Home Ec. in high school. Have times changed so much that "stalk" and "rib" are now interchangeable?
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1054 on: June 15, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »

i am caramelizing the fuck out of a red onion right now.  it's this thing i've been into recently.  haven't gotten it just right yet.  i think it depends on the cut.  i don't think i can make it six hours though.  sounds like some pretty killer onions

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #1055 on: July 04, 2018, 12:47:26 AM »

On the Google Doodle with the recipe for each state, they selected Snow Creme for North Carolina. I never would have predicted that choice.
also known as rcc94

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1056 on: August 09, 2018, 10:38:34 AM »

Who goes to Capital One Cafes?

Do people just treat it like a regular coffee shop?  IS it a regular coffee shop with like barristas and you can get all kinds of fancy coffees at least on a Starbucks level?  Or is it just like yeah, you can sit down and have wifi and there's coffee. 

Why would anyone go there?  Why would I wonder why anyone would go to a Capital One Cafe when I have personally driven 20 minutes to go eat lunch at Capital One offices?  Seriously, their foodcourt is insane.  As is their gym.   Why don't they just open up Capital One Food Courts? 

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1057 on: August 09, 2018, 11:10:16 AM »

I haven't the foggiest what you're talking about.  Capital One has cafes?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1058 on: August 09, 2018, 12:32:04 PM »

Yeah, it's the new thing they are doing to try and attract millennials.

It's just a normal coffee shop with wifi.  It has Capital One ATMs but I don't think ATMs at a coffee shop are that unusual.  It's not a real bank branch.  You can't deposit checks or withdraw cash other than via the ATM, and I don't think they have loan officers there. 

The only difference is instead of sectioning off parts off the cafe for "community activity" for hosting poetry slams or crappy folk singers or book clubs or gaming groups, they host Capital One financial seminars.  Actually, I think they do actually host crappy folk singers and nerdy reddit meetups, they just also host financial seminars in addition to that.

And instead of having servers/baristas who can help you choose the best coffee, they have servers who can help you apply for a Capital One credit card online. 

I think that's the intent, anyway.  I have yet to see one in action.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1059 on: August 09, 2018, 02:55:19 PM »

why would they think that would work? 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1060 on: August 09, 2018, 11:00:37 PM »

It's not about making money, it's all about connecting with potential new Capital One customers. I think it;s a brilliant move.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1061 on: August 18, 2018, 02:15:52 PM »

It's not about making money, it's all about connecting with potential new Capital One customers. I think it;s a brilliant move.

i suppose if you prefer a stale corporate lifestyle.  i'm not up on trends

say, anybody have any tips on cooking dry beans?  i fucking hate forgetting i soaked them overnight and when i go to prepare dinner around noon, i'll look over at the stove and say hey what's this?  oh dammit, i forgot i was going put the beans in this!  takes forever.  i usually just let it cool and toss it into the fridge and then the compost a few days later.  the family is trying to cut waste

Paco

• Summer Resident
« Reply #1062 on: August 18, 2018, 06:37:53 PM »

you can always just put the beans on a low simmer. Stir them once in a while and they'll be fine. Maybe throw some bacon in with them while they simmer.

Paco

• Summer Resident
« Reply #1063 on: August 18, 2018, 06:39:28 PM »

don't forget to add water as they boil down

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1064 on: August 20, 2018, 02:39:28 PM »

seems like that's an all day thing.  i simmered black beans for like four or five hours and just said fuck it.  they were pretty fresh beans if memory remembers.  the lids of canned beans apparently have bpa.  and if they don't got bpa they got something else lemme tell you
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72   Go Up