Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The MMA Thread  (Read 4143 times)

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
The MMA Thread
« on: November 17, 2008, 02:20:47 PM »

Okay, I wanted something a little broader for the topic title when we discuss UFC, WEC and such, so here it is.

Who watched UFC 91? Thoughts?

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Re: The MMA Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 07:56:37 PM »

I can't wait for Shawn Michaels to eventually win the UFC belt.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

matt

• Citizen
    • Every Issue Presents Itself
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:54:22 PM »

Keeeeerrrrrist, did anyone watch Fight For the Troops last night and see the Corey Hill fight?  Holy shit.  I've only seen one other injury like that ever.  UFC.com has the fight up on the main page for free.  Don't say I didn't warn you... it'll make you cringe.
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 11:13:43 PM »

My DVR didn't record the show, but I just watched it on UFC.com and damn that was nasty.  I will be surprised if we ever see him back after that injury.  UFC is reporting he had surgery and will be out 18 months, but I don't think he'll recover enough from it to be back in the UFC.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 03:22:39 AM »

I forgot it was on, so haven't seen the whole event, but just watched that fight on ufc.com. I've seen a similar injury maybe one or two other times in other promotions, but it's ugly every time. Kinda had a feeling that might have been the type you guys were talking about. Gross.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 05:28:29 AM »

Saw a UFC fighter at Chipotle on Buttermilk Pike this afternoon. Not entirely sure, but it looked a bit like Marcus Davis "The Irish Hand Grenade." I know he's a part of Jorge Gurgel's gym in Cincy, but I couldn't be certain it was him.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 04:08:21 PM »

Okay, Marcus Davis fought in the UFC PPV last night and I'm almost positive that's who I saw at Chipotle a few weeks back.

Anyway, decent card. Incidentally, the Marcus Davis fight was by far the best, with the Rich Franklin/Dan Henderson bout running a close second. I don't think I've ever seen this many fights in one PPV go the distance, or end in the waning seconds of round three, though. Some long, drawn out battles for sure.

matt

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 01:22:13 PM »

Did anyone watch the Fedor-Arlovski fight last night?

Holy crap.  I seriously thought Arlovski was going to slowly pick Fedor apart in the first round, especially after that body kick pushed Fedor into the corner.  You could tell Fedor was starting to struggle with fending off Arlovski's attack.  Then... WHAMMO... Arlovski was out cold in a split second.  I didn't even see the punch until the replay a couple minutes later.  I don't think most people there - including the announcers - saw it, either.  Wow.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 01:23:52 PM by matt »
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »

What card was the fight part of?

matt

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 06:04:40 PM »

Affliction: Day Of Reckoning

Fedor signed with Affliction, became the WAMMA Heavyweight champ last year, then beat Tim Sylvia in his first title defense.  Fedor fought Arlovski last night in his second title defense fight.  Tito Ortiz has signed on with them and did (a very sorry-ass job of) color commentary and in-ring post-fight interviews for last night's PPV.  He's recovering from back surgery and will probaably fight for Affliction in the next few months. 

Right after Fedor signed with Affliction, Randy Couture threw a temper tantrum with the UFC because Dana White and Lorenzo Fertita wouldn't pony up to sign Fedor or let Randy "retire" (i.e. get out of his UFC contract so he could sign with Affliction to fight Fedor).  Sadly, I cringe when thinking about a Fedor-Couture fight.  I don't think it will ever happen now, especially given Randy's recent loss to Lesnar as well as his age.  If it does, Couture will just be chalked up as one of the other 24+ MMA fighters who step into the ring with Fedor and have to be helped out.  That's not to take anything at all away from Couture, but Randy is way past his prime to be considering fighting Fedor Emilianenko.  As far as Fedor goes, I think the man is tremendously skilled, but I think he plays a silent mindgame close to that of a fucking ninja master.  He's definitely cutable, bruisable, and breakable, and can take a beating, but he always seems to strike for the kill at the precise moment, appearing like he just got lucky and snuck a punch through or grabbed an armbar.  I personally don't think it's luck, he just knows how to read his opponent's moves before they do, and is quick enough & skilled enough to take advantage of it.  Unreal.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:23:34 PM by matt »
-- Frank Zappa

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 07:10:09 PM »

While that fight was good, I have to wonder how many more Affliction PPVs there will be.  Overall, the card was pretty bad, and you know they have to be shelling out a lot of money for the big names they have (even if a lot of them are past their prime).  Fedor is the only thing they really have right now, and unfortunately, he is killing the other names they have.  I can't image they are making much money of the PPVs, since I know no one who actually bought it.  Instead, everyone is downloading them later because the cards just don't look good enough for the money.
1+2+2+1

matt

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »

It seemed like Donald Trump and Oscar De la Hoya were pretty pumped up about it after the fight, so I would say that they'll sign on or another 2-3 PPV's at least.  It looks like Josh Barnett will be the next one to fight Fedor, who has nowhere near the draw as Andre Arlovski or Tim Silvia have had for their fights.  They'll put Fedor on the top of the next PPV only because he's the champ, but they'll have to come up with a very impressive co-main event and undecard to keep the momentum for the next PPV.
-- Frank Zappa

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 08:52:15 PM »

Yeah, I knew all about the Randy situation and all that, but didn't realize who all had signed with Affliction. Kinda hard to create good cards, though, when all the really good fighters who are making their way up the ladder want to go to the UFC. I think the main reason I stick to UFC is that I know more than half the fighters on every card. With other feds, I don't have as much investment because I don't know the fighters. I do check 'em out from time to time, though, and I definitely wanna see that Fedor/Arlovski fight, so I'll probably try to find the Affliction card.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 11:45:34 PM »

Afflictions biggest issue is going to be their undercards because they have no way of making stars.  All of their names have come from somewhere else (Fedor-Pride, Arlovski, Sylvia, and Ortiz UFC).  Even their more well known under card guys like Babaloo and Josh Barnett already have name value.  They don't have any TV to make names and with them only running PPVs every 3 months or so (or even longer this time) it's going to be a similar cast of already knowns every time. 
1+2+2+1

matt

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 12:08:48 AM »

My brother-in-law (Brandon Russell) is fighting his third amateur MMA fight this Friday at the Grand Victoria on the IXF card (www.IXFMMA.com). So far he's 2-0 (both wins by knockout) and he's going for 3-0. 4 amateur wins and he can turn pro. I have two tickets, one for myself and no one to use the second one so far. I have one outstanding offer that has not yet confirmed, so I'm putting the feeler out to any local villians that might want to go. If you're interested, send me a PM or email me.
-- Frank Zappa
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up