Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The MMA Thread  (Read 4144 times)

dirk

• City Elder
Re: The MMA Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 09:13:27 AM »

I REALLY hate Brock Lesnar and wish he would die in a fire.  He is dull to watch is the the worlds biggest jackass. 
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

matt

• Citizen
    • Every Issue Presents Itself
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 12:16:22 PM »

No shit.

I'm putting the rest of my comments on UFC 100 under a spoiler cloak.

If I was Sable, I would've kicked him in the fucking balls for making that comment about mounting her.  The Coors/Bud thing was funny, but that comment and flipping the crowd the bird was class-A jackassery.  I haven't seen how these guys on the new TUF look yet, but hopefully they can bring in someone of his size who can do more than lay on their opponent to neutralize them. They may even need to split out the Heavyweights and create a bigger division around 235 for guys of his size and limited skill.  Mir and Couture are great fighters, but when put up against a giant silverback like Lesnar with a 50lb. advantage, you'll get the same result every time.

I was glad to see Coleman win, but I was hoping it would've been more decisive than a split decision over Bonnar.  Hopefully he can build his momentum and have a few good fights and give a title run one last go. I think Bonnar is done after this.

The Akiyama-Belcher fight was really good, especially Belcher's superman punch using the cage as a springboard. I've been waiting a long time to see somebody get creative and use the cage for something like that.  It was a fairly close fight, but Belcher got robbed, though.

I really thought Alves would give GSP a run for his money, but he showed once again that he has superior grappling and takedown skills to anyone in his class.  I think the UFC will probably push him to jump up in weight to take on Anderson silva, especially if Silva wins his next fight.

And holy shit... I wonder if Bisping has even woke up yet.  Henderson knocked him the FUCK out.  It's always nice to see the trash-talker shut up.  Henderson had him oput with the first punch, by my god, that second one was freaking beautiful (even if a tad bit uncalled for).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:09:37 PM by matt »
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 08:41:48 AM »

My comments are pretty much dead on Matt's.

rva

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 10:17:27 AM »

Meh.  I get the feeling that most MMA fighters are jackasses.  They're just smart enough not to say anything.  Lesner tried to get some pub WWE-style.  He won't do it again (but he won't be any less of a jackass).

People are all worked up over Lesnar talking trash, but they don't care if you take a vicious shot at someone who is already unconscious and totally defenseless. 

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 02:56:49 PM »

I don't honestly care that much about Lesnar talking trash. He obliterated Mir and was amped up. Not everybody bows at their opponent and gives them a big hug afterward. Mir got beat and accepted it gracefully, so it doesn't seem HE holds any grudges at least. I honestly didn't expect Mir to win anyway. He was getting pounded in their first fight and Lesnar made a rookie mistake of giving up his ankle. He's a much improved fighter now. I do believe I mentioned some time ago that if Lesnar figured out how to actually draw his arms all the way back when striking as opposed to those little hammer fists he likes so much, he'd be trouble for just about anybody. I think we finally saw that. I don't necessarily like him, but I don't dislike him either. He's gonna be hard for most heavyweights to stop, though, unless they add a super heavyweight class and bring in more guys his size.

As for Dan Henderson, it didn't seem like an extra shot to me until he said it was after the fight. Even looking at the replay, he knocked Bisping down and was immediately on him. It's not like he had time to think about a revenge shot. Seemed like routine follow up for the finish to me. I dunno. I kinda think he was just smack talking about the extra shot, but maybe it's just me.

rva

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »

Intentional or not, that was an incredibly dangerous situation.  Someone could gotten killed.  And if you're trying to portray MMA as not just savage brutality, and set a good example for your kids, pimp out the "values" martial arts teaches, respect your opponent, etc. it was an reckless thing to say.

If I were MMA and I really gave a shit, I'd be a lot more concerned with that incident than a bit of buffoonery from Lesnar.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 08:15:14 PM »

The problem with the Henderson thing is that there is no way to tell if he really did take a free shot or if he was just talking trash afterward.  Either way, it puts him very close to Brock Lesnar land for me (and I formerly liked him).  Fighters are trained to keep fighting until the ref tells them to stop, and there is a good chance that is what he did.  I say they ask him again and if he says the same thing, then you fine and possibly suspend him. 

As for Lesnar, I just want him to lose and then go away.  He is not a talented fighter, getting by on his size not talent.  He is a world class lowlife who I just want to see go away before he hurts the sport any more than he has.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 09:25:42 PM »

I'm with Dirk on Henderson. If he keeps to his story that he did take an intentional shot, a hefty fine seems like a reasonable solution, and a signal to other fighters that it won't be tolerated.

rva

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 10:52:09 AM »

If he actually took an intentional shot, he should be banned for life.  I would fine him just for making that comment, because it's such a dangerous thing to say.  Saying you kicked your opponent's ass and dissing the sponsor is nowhere near as bad as saying you deliberately and viciously attacked an unconscious opponent.  Henderson's comments pertain directly to safety in the ring, whereas Lesnar's did not.

It's not like I think Brock Lesnar is a classy guy, but the rules of trash talking have always been stupid to me.  Frank Mir completely disrespected Lesnar in just about every interview he had up to that fight.  I don't see why we would then expect Lesnar to just forget about it simply because the fight is over.  You get the respect you earn.  You treat your opponent like trash and then get your ass kicked, expect there to be repercussions.

I don't think you should talk trash about your opponents, period.  But if you can do it before a fight, I don't see why you can't do it after the fight.  I think the whole sport is barbaric, honestly.  It just strikes me as funny that you get two people in the ring trying to beat the pulp out of each other and a bunch of fans who want spectacular, bloody knockouts and then everyone gets their panties in a bunch because someone flipped off the crowd.

bluebastard

• City Elder
  • No more Wilco
    • portfolio
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 07:29:41 PM »

Hendo didn't infer the second shot was intentional, he just made a statement after the fact that it was a shot to shut him up. If he would have laid Bisping down and didn't go after him and Bisping wouldn't have been knocked down, EVERYONE would have said he was a giant ass for not pouncing on top of him and finishing him. It's the ref's job to stop the fight and Hendo was just going for the knockout blow, not knowing he already cold-cocked him. It was a poor choice of words but I won't lie in saying that I took a bit of pleasure in it considering Bisping is an ass of the highest degree.

I really don't understand how his comments about his wife are sexist. Oh no, he wants to have monogamous sex with his wife! He never said he'd mount her, he said "I might even get on top of my wife tonight." Yeah, it's old-fashioned to say something along those lines but it wasn't chauvinist or sexist. M

Honestly, I think his promo was the best of his life post-fight. It bothers me that his rant is seen as a negative when Muhammad Ali talked just as much trash to anyone who would listen. The difference is Ali is idealized 40 years after the fact in a time when boxing was still a kingly sport. MMA is still seen as a growing child, so it's open to criticism from a sporting world that doesn't know how or if it should cover it--only that it is no longer just a fad and likely the replacement for boxing. The only thing Dana was probably upset about was that Brock took a shot at a main sponsor--a deal that was just finished after a lot of haggling and debate between Zuffa and Anheiser-Busch.

I don't view Lesnar as an ass because he hasn't had the crowd behind him from his first UFC fight, so to me he's had to prove himself each time out. Mir was talking huge trash before the fight--something he earned the right to do--and after being finished off Saturday night, he went to talk a bit more and Lesnar got in his face. Not to mention, I think it's ridiculous to interview any fighter post-match considering their adrenaline is flowing like the Amazon and they're not going to think clearly and succinctly and eloquently say what crowd and play-by-play men want to hear. I'm not defending Lesnar but he didn't go Mike Tyson in his interview and his apology at the press conference later on seem genuine and sincere.

matt

• Citizen
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »

From mmajunkie.com:

The controversy surrounding Dan Henderson's heavily debated final knockout shot of Michael Bisping at this past weekend's UFC 100 event was just a simple case of a joke gone wrong.

That's according to Henderson, who discussed the fight on Tuesday's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

Henderson said that not only were his post-fight comments about knowingly hitting an unconscious opponent a joke but that he feels he showed "good sportsmanship" by stopping the assault when he did.

Henderson and Bipsing fought in one of the three featured bouts at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on July 11. The rival coaches from the recent ninth season of "The Ultimate Fighter" built a very public rivalry prior to the bout, and fans, too, were caught up in the emotions.

Most fans, especially those in the U.S., were clearly and vocally on Henderson's side in the grudge match.

Henderson delighted the the majority of the soldout crowd and the night's pay-per-view audience when he knocked Bisping out cold with a big overhand right three minutes into the second round. A diving blow from the standing position followed to Henderson's unsconcious opponent.

In a post-fight interview with broadcaster Joe Rogan, however, Henderson said he knew Bisping was out when he delivered the shot and that he normally wouldn't have thrown it.

"I believe I [shut him up] for a little while," Henderson said. "I don't know if I can ever shut his mouth completely, though. Normally, I'm not that way in fights. I know if a guy is out, and I tend to stop. I knew I [knocked] him out. I think that last one was just to shut him up a little bit."

The comments lost him some fans and drew scorn from many of the record 240 credentialed media members who attended the event. The blow was perfectly legal despite a valiant effort, veteran referee Mario Yamasaki couldn't stop Henderson before the second shot was administered but the thought of a fighter knowingly hitting an sleeping opponent with such a power punch didn't sit well with many.

A joke gone bad

"It wasn't the right thing to say, obviously," Henderson said on Tuesday. "It wasn't what I wanted to say. It was more of a joke that I was trying to intend. I do have a good sense of humor, and that probably didn't come out quite as funny as it should have."

Henderson said he didn't, in fact, know Bisping was knocked out cold. (In a post-event press conference, UFC president Dana White said that Henderson told him the same thing and had apologized for his comments.)

"It wasn't intentional," Henderson said. "I didn't know he was completely knocked out or done until after that second punch, and that's exactly when I stopped. And I've hit guys just as hard almost right on the button like that (first shot), and they fall down, and the fight continues because maybe I didn't land the second shot right or the ref feels like that [my opponent] is still able to defend himself and he squeaks past and holds on. But I didn't want that to happen. That's why I was on him so quick with the second punch."

During a 12-year career spent mostly with the UFC and PRIDE, Henderson said he's learned to finish opponents once they're in a vulnerable state. Besides, he said, in that split second between the time the first punch landed and he reared up for the second, he didn't have to assess Bisping's state.

"It's instinct," he said. "Obviously, I knew I had him hurt bad, but you never know if the fight is going to be finished right then and there until the ref steps in. ... I wanted to shut him up completely and good and wanted to make sure the ref stopped the fight.

"If I'm standing up not making him vulnerable for shots and not striking, he doesn't have to defend himself. The ref might not stop it. With me adding one more punch to it, he has to step in and stop the fight no matter what. So I didn't know he was completely out until the second punch landed. There wasn't time to really think about the pros and cons of whether I should hit him again or not. It's too close. I did what I was supposed to do in that fight and at the end as well to finish it. That's what every fighter is trained to do, is finish the fight. I felt like I showed good sportsmanship by stopping right then and there. I didn't try to continue after the ref stopped it like a lot of fighters have done. That's just what I tried to joke about afterward and that's what people have a problem with."

Not the first time

Henderson's beef with Bisping was well-documented. And Henderson knows some people might think it prompted the second blow.

However, he said an almost exact same situation happened in February 2007 with a victory over fan favorite Wanderlei Silva at PRIDE 33.

No criticism came from the fight, and Henderson knows it's because he didn't make a joke that failed so miserably.

"It could have been anybody," he said. "It just happened to be Bisping. Maybe I enjoyed it more. I had the exact same finish against Wanderlei Silva. I knocked him out and landed one more punch on the ground. It happened almost the same type of way. ... And I like and respect Wanderlei a lot more than I like Bisping, and it didn't make a difference. It could have been anyone out there, and I was still going to do my job and finish the fight.

"I don't think anyone would have had a problem or said a word about it if I wouldn't have made that comment. Obviously I regret saying that, and it might have been in bad taste, but I was a little bit maybe emotional at the time, and it felt good to knock out Bisping like that."

Despite the pleasure of knocking out his rival, Henderson said he swapped text messages with White later that night to assure Bisping was OK.
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa

matt

• Citizen
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 12:10:38 AM »

All I'm going to say is... You HAVE to see the Anderson Silva v. Forrest Griffin fight.

[Bites lip]
-- Frank Zappa

matt

• Citizen
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2009, 03:52:58 PM »

http://i30.tinypic.com/s5ixp0.gif

Watching that last sequence was like watching something out of the Matrix.  Sick.

Silve swears that he'll never fight Machida, but I have a feeling Dana White is going to really push for it to happen.  That fight would rule, especially since Silva has openly admitted that Machida has the skills to beat him.  He and Machida are on completely different levels than any other potential challengers in the UFC right now.  Silva's only real options at this point are rematches with Henderson, Cote and maybe a couple of others, so I could see him fighting at both classes for the next few fights until a Machida fight can be set up.

I was kind of rooting for Florian to win just because I think he is a great worker and fighter and truly earned the title fight last night, but once again Penn took his game to another level last night and put the student in his place.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 04:02:56 PM by matt »
-- Frank Zappa
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up