Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark Everret from Eels article  (Read 3749 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Mark Everret from Eels article
« on: November 24, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »

We happened on this interesting news article about Mark Everett of the band Eels (no the, sorry Toledo Blade).  Seems he's written a memoir which sounds really fascinating.

But don't take my word for it...

Mark Everett finds solace in music and writing
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
Re: Mark Everret from Eels article
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 04:50:47 PM »

Have you seen the documentary? It's really good, they've been replaying it off and on through the digital pbs stations (I've seen it on both the dayton and cincy stations).
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:30:14 AM »

I think his book is out, or close to being out.  Would be a good read, he's had a lot of shit go on in his life.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 11:06:47 AM »

Yeah, watching him tell the story about his only real intimate moment with his dad during the documentary was really sad. I'll have to pick up a copy of the book when it comes out.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:09:30 PM »

I finally saw Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives and I also really enjoyed it. I wonder if it will be replayed soon considering Father's Day is Sunday.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:22:52 PM »

We saw it too, it was much too short.  I need to read the book.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 06:05:17 PM »

If your a dirty pirate (like me) you can find this via BitTorrent.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 10:57:19 PM »

I saw them last year (it was a sit-down show...in a bar) and they played the documentary about his father before the show. It was brilliant.

Such a big fan of him and that band and I'd like to read that book.

Thanks for posting this
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 12:18:03 AM »

I absolutely hate Mark Everret, E, or whatever he wants to call himself today.  He is the lamest douche "rockstar" I've ever had the chance to meet.  

Back in 1993 I was hanging out with some friends after a Tori Amos show ("A Man Called E" had opened) and one of the girls we were with was DEAD SET on meeting Tori (we had met her the night before and she was jealous) so we hung around and since the girls were cute and a buddy knew some of the security... they let us hang around inside.  So Mr. Mark decides to wander out and flat chews the girls out for acting like dummies and waiting around to meet Tori and he goes into a rant about he won't be signing autographs for us and we need to get out of his face (from about 15' away) and how people like us ruin shows by selling out and idolizing people like him.  So I told him off and told him we didn't even know who he was and that I'd be happy to explain that to his face, too.  He had us thrown out.

Blah, blah, blah... since then I've talked to a few guys that played with him in various incarnations.  They all tell the same story "yeah... he's a special kind of person that you should never work for unless you get paid a lot more than pays."
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 01:20:07 AM »

Sorry to hear about that bad experience and you have every right to be pissed as I would have been also. Maybe things have changed since that was a long time ago. Maybe not.

I still think he's a brilliant song writer though. One of my favorites out there.
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

rva

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 02:34:02 AM »

The dude's had an insanely messed-up life.  IHe has the standard drug issues, but I'm talking like straight up bizarre stuff has happened and much of it not his doing.  Just crazy traumatic things happening to him out of nowhere.  Plus I think he probably has some degree of mental illness/instability that would be there even if nothing weird had happened to him.

I'm not saying that to excuse his behavior.  I'm just saying I am not at all surprised to find out he is or can be an extremely unpleasant guy.  I think what precious little sanity and goodness he has left he has to channel into his music and writing where he can have a little distance and time.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 09:04:37 AM »

Could be.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »

The dude's had an insanely messed-up life.  IHe has the standard drug issues, but I'm talking like straight up bizarre stuff has happened and much of it not his doing.  Just crazy traumatic things happening to him out of nowhere.  Plus I think he probably has some degree of mental illness/instability that would be there even if nothing weird had happened to him.

I'm not saying that to excuse his behavior.  I'm just saying I am not at all surprised to find out he is or can be an extremely unpleasant guy.  I think what precious little sanity and goodness he has left he has to channel into his music and writing where he can have a little distance and time.

Agreed

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 02:53:00 AM »

Yeah, I was going to post the exact same thing, W.  That book is a must-read if you want to know more about the guy.

'Things The Grandchildren Should Know' is the title, and IMO, his best song.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 09:10:03 PM »

Agony from Shootenany! is my favorite, but this song is a close second. I might have to get my hands on that book...
Pages: [1]   Go Up