Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Books in 2009  (Read 32957 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Books in 2009
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2009, 10:24:29 PM »

1. Dewey:The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World - by Vicki Myron
2. Bloody Ground - by John F. Day
3. The Kat Who Walked in Beauty: The Panoramic Dailies of 1920 by George Herriman
4. Black Postcards by Dean Wareham
5. The Sound of Laughter by Peter Kay
6. Two Weeks of Life: A Memoir of Love, Death & Politics by Eleanor Clift
7. Torched by April Henry
Adding:
8. Plan Bee by Susan Brackney
Currently reading:
9. The Lighthouse Stevensons: The Extraordinary Story of the building of the Scottish Lighthouses by the Ancestors of Robert Louis Stevenson by Bella Bathurst
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2009, 07:24:12 AM »

1 • Jaff Kalis - I Want to Take You Higher: The Life and Times of Sly and the Family Stone
2 • Vicki Myron - Dewey - The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
3 • Hugo Wilcken - 33 1/3: David Bowie's "Low"
4 • Edwin Page - Horribly Awkward - The New Funny Bone
adding
5 • Sebastian Beaumont - Thirteen
Intriguing mind-f***ing thriller
Opulence. I has it.

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2009, 01:45:22 PM »

1. The Year of Living Biblically - A.J. Jacobs - Next time I go the bookstore, I'm going to check if this is shelved under humor, religion or self-help since its definitely all three.
2. In a Time of War (The Proud & Perilous Journey Of West Point's Class of 2002) - Bill Murphy Jr. - I have always had strong feelings about the folks in the military. I was supposed to sign up for the army after I graduated from high school and I couldn't do it. I literally sat there with the pen in my hand at the recruiter's office and I fucking chickened out. I apologized to the recruiter and walked back to my car and drove home. My parents were glad I didn't sign up but I never have been able to forgive myself for being such a coward. Anyways, I had a dream a few months ago about being at a bar and talking to a veteran and the question he kept asking me was what have I done to justify the loss of so many young lives in the middle east? And I had no answer. It haunted me for a few days and I finally realized I can at least find out about the bravery that is happening and make sure to pass on these stories to future generations. At least by passing on the stories these heroes and their actions will live on. And maybe even when they hear how even the loss of one life can cripple so many other lives they will see why war should always be an absolute last option. Its a bit far fetched but at least I can reconcile with myself that I am doing something. I realize it is almost insulting to a veteran to say this is even something compared to their sacrifice, but its a shame I will just need to live with.

So now that I've explained why you'll be seeing so many of these books showing up in my list this year, on to the review of the book. This book follows the lives of about 20 soldiers from their first year at West Point to the present. Tragically, this book deals with their survival as well as their deaths. There are two highlighted deaths, Lt. Todd J. Bryant and Lt. Tim Moshier. The author deals with the awful way that Todd Bryant was killed by an IED by including every bloody detail. But even worse, he also writes about the funeral and how Bryant's death affected his wife in the most horrible way. Even included in the book is the goodbye letter that Todd wrote to his wife in case he didn't make it back. I think it took about an hour to get through those maybe 20 pages because of how difficult it was to read. The story of Lt. Moshier death is much less heroic but not any less difficult to accept. His death showed why the job of these soldiers is so difficult. There is no time when someone over there can feel safe. There has to be constant vigilance at all times. He was on a routine survelience mission when his Apache helicoptor was shot down by a "one in a million" shot from the ground. A brand new father was gone and now one more child was going to grow up with out their mother or father. Another young promising life extinguished too soon.

The other stories retold here are one's of survival ( Lt. Andrew Sloan recovered from injuries that fractured almost every bone in his body including his entire face while on patrol for another more inexperienced soldier), one's of perserverance ( Joe DaSilva, president of the class of '02, failed Ranger training and never led a batalion in action until the very end of his second tour) and one's of constant stress and worry (Lt. Tricia Leroux Birdsell who was a medic for her husband's platoon and also had one brother serving on top of dealing with the daily stress of massive injuries and death).

This is not an easy book to read but it is one of many that we should all read.

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »

1. Twenty Thousand Roads: The Ballad of Gram Parsons and His Cosmic American Music, David N. Meyer

2. Petal Pusher: A Rock and Roll Cinderella Story, Laurie Lindeen
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:01:54 PM by whigsgeek »
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »

1.  Love the One You're With--Emily Giffin
trixi, I borrowed this title from your list. I'm almost half-way through it. Thanks for the (unintentional) recommendation. :)
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »

1. Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray
2. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons - Watchmen

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 10:56:26 PM »

trixi, I borrowed this title from your list. I'm almost half-way through it. Thanks for the (unintentional) recommendation. :)
you're more than welcome :)  She's written others if you like this one. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2009, 03:54:58 PM »

you're more than welcome :)  She's written others if you like this one. 
I see that. She also lives in Atlanta. Hey, maybe I've run into her at the grocery store and didn't even know it. :)
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »

1 • Jaff Kalis - I Want to Take You Higher: The Life and Times of Sly and the Family Stone
adding
6 • Frédéric Saldmann - Wash Your Hands! - The Dirty Truth about Germs, Viruses and Epidemics, and the Simple Ways to Protect Yourself in a Dangerous World
Somewhat ironic that a french dude should write about hygiene, but he does it in a way that can scare the crap out of the rest of us
Opulence. I has it.

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2009, 08:04:22 AM »

1. The Year of Living Biblically - A.J. Jacobs - Next time I go the bookstore, I'm going to check if this is shelved under humor, religion or self-help since its definitely all three.
2. In a Time of War (The Proud & Perilous Journey Of West Point's Class of 2002) - Bill Murphy Jr.
Click: What millions of people are doing online and why it matters - Bill Tancer - 200 page ad for the software "hitwise" which tracks search engine entries. The person who recommended this book to me is going to get a beating.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:58:34 AM by robbie robot »

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2009, 09:42:07 AM »

1. Dewey:The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World - by Vicki Myron
2. Bloody Ground - by John F. Day
3. The Kat Who Walked in Beauty: The Panoramic Dailies of 1920 by George Herriman
4. Black Postcards by Dean Wareham
5. The Sound of Laughter by Peter Kay
6. Two Weeks of Life: A Memoir of Love, Death & Politics by Eleanor Clift
7. Torched by April Henry
8. Plan Bee by Susan Brackney
Currently reading:
9. Wash Your Hands! - The Dirty Truth about Germs, Viruses and Epidemics, and the Simple Ways to Protect Yourself in a Dangerous World by Frédéric Saldmann

I have given up on The Lighthouse Stevensons by Bella Bathurst. I do not understand the praise for this book and this author. She's dreadful.

What should be an interesting story (how the Stevenson family built the Scottish lighthouses in the 1800-1900's) is mired down in a garble of time-jumping and some serious over-fawning of the Stevenson (Robert Louis) who refused to enter the trade set forth by his ancestors.

Jeeebus lady, just tell the story! But NO! Take all those notecards of information and shuffle them about. Now shuffle them again. Once more for good measure. Now start with the note on top and work your way through them from top to bottom, with no regard to the actual order of the story. There's a good girl.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2009, 01:52:23 PM »

1. Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray
2. Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons - Watchmen
3. Philip Pullman - The Golden Compass

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2009, 10:28:48 PM »

6 • Frédéric Saldmann - Wash Your Hands! - The Dirty Truth about Germs, Viruses and Epidemics, and the Simple Ways to Protect Yourself in a Dangerous World
adding
7 • Kevin Courrier - 33 1/3: Captain Beefheart "Trout Mask Replica"
The second disappointing book in this 33 1/3 series I have read this year. I don't think I am eager to read any more of them now. Courrier does as good as he can with what IS a very difficult album, but he cobbles too much source material from other (far superior) sources, then intermingles it with - what feels to me - as pretentious 'arty-farty' crap
Opulence. I has it.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2009, 11:21:41 PM »

2.  The Reader--Bernhard Schlink
3.  All We Know of Love--Nora Raleigh Baskin
4.  Sin in the Second City:  Madams, Ministers, Playboys and the Battle for America's Soul--Karen Abbott
5.  I Need You More Than I Love You and I Love You to Bits--Gunnar Ardelius
6.  French Kissmas--Cathy Hapka
7.  Bliss--Lauren Myracle
8.  Nothing--Robin Friedman
9.  Brooklyn Bridge--Karen Hesse
10.  At Face Value--Emily Franklin
11.  New Moon--Stephenie Meyer
12.  Trials of Kate Hope--Wick Downing
13.  The Dead and the Gone--Susan Beth Pfeffer
14.  Defying the Diva--D. Anne Love
15.  Ransom My Heart--Meg Cabot
16.  Burn--Suzanne Phillips
17. I Never Saw Another Butterfly--Hana Volavkova
18. Salvaged Pages: Young Writers' Diaries of the Holocaust--Alexandra Zapruder
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2009, 07:44:52 AM »

2. In a Time of War (The Proud & Perilous Journey Of West Point's Class of 2002) - Bill Murphy Jr.
3. Click: What millions of people are doing online and why it matters - Bill Tancer
4. Don't Just Stand There - Elissa Stein
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Up