Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Twilight  (Read 3992 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Twilight
« on: February 02, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »

I know we've discussed this elsewhere but I thought it deserved a thread in the pulp section.

I finished reading this last night and I want to know what in the BLUE FUCK all of the hype is about?  I did not find this to be well written at all, nothing really happened until the last few chapters, which were the shortest chapters in the book.  And even when it did pick up it was still really poorly crafted.  There's no excuse for the main character to do something so much dumber than we've seen her capable of.  Just sloppy writing to shoehorn the character into the desired situation and even then not really going anywhere with it.

I realize that it's a YA novel, and I should expect it to be below my reading level, and it's mostly targeted to females (I assume) so me being male would be less interested in all of the boy crazy talk but still, not a good book, not really, at all, a good book, seriously, not good.

Juliana tells me that the second one is better, so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and read it as well, or at least as much as I can slog through.  If I'm half this aggravated with it I'm stopping there.

But that Edward, he sure sounds beautiful, huh?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:25:07 AM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
Re: Twilight
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »

Kwyj, why are you so worried about this?  It's kinda cracking me up.   ;)

Call a spade a spade - it's just a teen trend.  I've read the first book to keep up on what my teenage niece is reading.  I'm right there with you in the book is (very) poorly written.  I wouldn't have finished the book other than wanting to know what Andrea and her friends are into at the moment.  I think it's just something teen girls have clutched onto and enjoy.

I do have to say I was intrigued by the author posting a playlist to listen to while reading the book.  That seems to be another growing trend.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:21:14 AM »

I'm not worried about it, I just literally finished it last night and wanted to talk about it.  I hadn't even gotten to the "good part" when we were discussing it before.  Now that I've read the whole thing I'm even more confused.

I would say it's a teen trend too but literally everybody is reading the thing and I'm confused by it.

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:29:20 AM »

Doesn't this book make you feel like you could author a best-seller yourself if this is making such a splash?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »

I'm thinking of publishing my grocery list.  If that fails I'm just going to write 500 pages about how beautiful someone I made up is.  I'm not even going to try to vary the phrasing... it's apparently not necessary.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 06:10:58 PM »

There are four books in the series. I read them all in the span of 3 days at the beginning of the year. The first one was average, the second one annoyed me, the third one was average again, but I actually enjoyed the last one. Then I saw the movie, which was worse than the book.

I didn't swoon over boys in high school (va can comment otherwise), so I didn't really identify with Bella. I also was way involved with activities inside and outside of school, so I can't image not being involved. While I'm not British (or magical), I relate much more to Hermione from Harry Potter. Maybe all those girls that weren't the overachiever identify with Bella.

I did like the baseball game.
also known as rcc94

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 09:52:28 PM »

OK, I haven't read the book.  I plan to, but I've heard so much about it I don't know if I'll be able to get over my preconceived notions to enjoy it. (I am waaay past the swooning over a cute, unobtainable boy phase of life, Matt Damon notwithstanding).  However, I plan on seeing the movie first, then reading the books.

To respond to Ella, yes, you swooned in high school (I'll refrain from naming names, but if anyone wants details I'll spill!) and don't forget the incriminating diary I found when snooping in your room... But I agree, I also identify more with Hermione than I probably will with Bella.

I read more than my fair share of teen romances, and they are all pretty standard. Nothing great, and it is totally a formula: 3 pages from the end the couple finally get together and there will be one chaste kiss.  I was also into fantasy as a teen, and my favorite books were by Robin McKinley. Those are still good- they have held up incredibly well, I read three of them over Christmas.  As a comparison to Twilight, I suggest reading Sunshine.  It's AU- the Voodoo Wars really messed the world up, and the main character (Sunshine) gets kidnapped by vamps to be fed to another vamp, and lives to tell the tale. No sparkling!  Really good, and what makes Sunshine, and all other McKinley heroines, stand out is that they are never waiting for someone to rescue them or tell them what to do. Even when making mistakes, they are the ones choosing the path they follow. 

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 10:05:46 PM »

1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »

To respond to Ella, yes, you swooned in high school (I'll refrain from naming names, but if anyone wants details I'll spill!) and don't forget the incriminating diary I found when snooping in your room... But I agree, I also identify more with Hermione than I probably will with Bella.
Junior high - yes. But high school? And I don't think it kept me from doing anything else with my day.
If you haven't read book 2: I didn't shut down for 3 months of my life after a breakup and live like a zombie/robot.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:24:05 PM by Ella Minnow Pea »
also known as rcc94

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:29:45 PM »

Doug

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 09:13:45 AM »

I can sum up the magic of this book in one sentance.  I get lucky everytime my wife reads it.

I bought her the box set for a late Christmas gift....to me.  ;)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:09:06 AM »

Doug, if she gets randy with Twilight, you really need to buy her the Outlander series by Diane Gabaldon.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »

I can sum up the magic of this book in one sentance.  I get lucky everytime my wife reads it.

This review needs to be on on the flyleaf - or at least at Amazon!
Opulence. I has it.

rva

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »

If you bought her the box set, that's no longer getting "lucky."  That is pure skill, playa.

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 06:55:42 PM »

Heh, heh.
"Box" set.
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up