Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend me a classic this summer  (Read 5330 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: Recommend me a classic this summer
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 07:37:08 AM »

The Catcher in the Rye--  Another short one.  Like a lot of young men, I thought this book was the nuts when I read it.  And I still kinda like it, but it's very much a book for gloomy young male teenagers.  I don't know that I'd dig it so much if I read it today, and I kinda doubt I'd like at all if I were an adult female.  

I read this for the first time about 3 years ago.  I hated it, probably because I wasn't 17 at the time I read it.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 07:38:47 AM »

One we didn't talk about that I'd recommend openly is Night by Elie Wiesel.  I think you may have already read this before, because I think we have talked about it before.  But if you haven't, it's short and incredibly moving.  It would also meet any Holocaust requirements that your list should have.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 07:41:04 AM »

Jim Bouton - Ball Four

There's no way in hell she's going to read a baseball book.

See, this is reverse psychology... let's see if it works!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 07:52:36 AM »

Butter and I were talking last night about the books we had to read in high school. It was so weird that we pretty much read none of the same books. Well, there is one book I read in 9th or 10th grade that I cannot remember the title of. Let's see if any of you can help me.

It was by an American author (cannot remember the name). It was about an all boys high school (boarding school) or college. And it dealt with one of the World Wars. That's all I got.

A Separate Peace by John Knowles?  I hated that stupid book.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

whigsgeek

• protector of small children and bunny rabbits
  • City Elder
  • Yes, it is I ...
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 08:51:54 AM »

CF, was it Another Country by James Baldwin?
I gather speed from you fucking with me.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 11:22:13 AM »

Butter and I were talking last night about the books we had to read in high school. It was so weird that we pretty much read none of the same books.

Yeah, Kwyj and I found the same thing to be true.  He didn't even have to read To Kill a Mockingbird.  What the heck?

I'll throw in both Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn.  If you haven't read them, you really should.  You've probably already read it (since you're from the South and all), but Gone With the Wind really is a great read.  I'm throwing these in because they do show a different slice of American life in the pre and in the case of GWTW post Civil War era.  TS & HF are both billed as "young adult" books, but that's not a bad thing, and honestly a lot of what's in them is pretty heavy stuff.  Especially Huck Finn.

Also, if you dug the Anne of Greene Gables stuff, there are like 8 books in the series.  They go with Anne into adulthood.  I LOVED those books.  She also wrote a couple of other series (can't think of the names), but they were just like Anne but slightly different.  I think the Anne books really captured what it was like to grow up as a young woman in that era.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 11:25:10 AM by Juliana »
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 11:30:04 AM »

Jim Bouton - Ball Four

There's no way in hell she's going to read a baseball book.

But it's not a baseball book. It's a book about humanity. :)
Of course, it helps if you understand what ERA means and all that, but still.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »

The Little House on the Prairie series really can't be beat for showcasing what it was like to live on the frontier.  There's like 8 of those though.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 12:20:10 PM »

Butter and I were talking last night about the books we had to read in high school. It was so weird that we pretty much read none of the same books. Well, there is one book I read in 9th or 10th grade that I cannot remember the title of. Let's see if any of you can help me.

It was by an American author (cannot remember the name). It was about an all boys high school (boarding school) or college. And it dealt with one of the World Wars. That's all I got.

A Separate Peace by John Knowles?  I hated that stupid book.

Yes!
Well.......

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 12:23:18 PM »

Yeah, Kwyj and I found the same thing to be true.  He didn't even have to read To Kill a Mockingbird.  What the heck?

I'll throw in both Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn.  If you haven't read them, you really should.  You've probably already read it (since you're from the South and all), but Gone With the Wind really is a great read.  I'm throwing these in because they do show a different slice of American life in the pre and in the case of GWTW post Civil War era.  TS & HF are both billed as "young adult" books, but that's not a bad thing, and honestly a lot of what's in them is pretty heavy stuff.  Especially Huck Finn.

Also, if you dug the Anne of Greene Gables stuff, there are like 8 books in the series.  They go with Anne into adulthood.  I LOVED those books.  She also wrote a couple of other series (can't think of the names), but they were just like Anne but slightly different.  I think the Anne books really captured what it was like to grow up as a young woman in that era.

Yeah, I read Tom Sawyer. Maybe I'll try some more Anne stuff.
Well.......

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 06:31:01 PM »

I would recommend something by Ray Bradbury.  I do believe he's my favorite author.  If you liked 1984 definitely read Fahrenheit 451.  It's not my favorite Bradbury novel, but I enjoyed it and it's one of those sci-fi classics that everyone should read at some point or another.  My favorite by him so far is The Martian Chronicles though.  It's a series of related stories about the destruction of earth and the human colonization of Mars. 

The thing I like most about Bradbury is his nostalgic tendencies.  He knows how to make you feel wistful for times gone by.  He can also be really twisted and dark though.  There's kind of a huge contrast between those two things but he does both very well.  I think the best example of his two opposing tendencies is Something Wicked This Way Comes.  It's a really cool combination of nostalgia and horror.  I also like it when he gets on a semi free flow stream of consciousness kick.  And the dude loves books.  I know that sounds like a funny thing to say because duh, the dude is a writer, but it's true.  He makes a lot of references to literature in his novels.  Anywaay I recommend you read Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles before you try any of his other works.  If you like those two novels you will probably like the rest of his stuff.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:32:35 PM by Buzzstein »
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 09:02:42 PM »

A Separate Peace by John Knowles?

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 09:37:02 PM »

Ooh! Fahrenheit 451 is good.

My favorite Anne of GG is Anne of Windy Poplars.  And another good one (different!) by LM Montgomery is The Blue Castle. 

Watership Down was another of those high school books.  We were required to read so many books beyond the regular literature for English. My teacher kept insisting I read it, but I didn't want to (It's about rabbits, who cares?  right?) Eventually, she refused to accept any of my readings until I read that book.  Turned out I really liked it.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 10:37:31 PM »

A Separate Peace by John Knowles?

Check three posts up.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 03:26:40 PM »

I also really liked John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charlie." I mean, Steinbeck is an important author and if you want his famous stuff you'd go with "Grapes of Wrath" or "Of Mice and Men." So TwC isn't exactly his most important, but I really liked how he just got in a truck with his dog and traveled across the country. It's a simple enough concept but very accessible and done with fantastic observations about people.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up