Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Jack White forms another supergroup  (Read 8547 times)

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Jack White forms another supergroup
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:16:38 PM »

The album was recorded in only 3 weeks, which is pretty typical for Jack White.

Because recording an album in the normal/reasonable amount of time might result in a professional sounding album.  Can't have that.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 05:04:23 AM »

Because recording an album in the normal/reasonable amount of time might result in a professional sounding album.  Can't have that.

Yeah, like Chinese Democracy
"If you're going to get a hooker, at least  get one a little older. They have more tricks." ~Advice from Mad Dog, my grandmother

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 09:26:01 PM »

Could you have picked a less "normal" musician than Axl to use as a comparison?  That's like saying all black people are white, just look at Michael Jackson.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:23:26 PM »

Actually, it's quite reasonable to spend a few weeks in there if you do the things that White does, which is lots of pre-production and sketching out what the songs are going to sound like.  Don't see how getting your shit together so you don't spend lots of time and money is unprofessional...

What I would really like to see from White is another Loretta Lynn album.  He said he was going to do three with her.  Grrrr...
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 10:41:04 PM »

3 is his magic number, so give him time on that Loretta album. I'll bet you he'll end up having a third child too.

Like Nate said, if you think about it, other than the physical drumming, most of the songs are Jack's anyhow, so he can construct and write the guitar parts on a bus, though I believe he creates all songs on piano first, then transforms them.

I like the rustic sound of it just being basic on those albums they did quickly. Elephant is one of them and it's often considered their best. Though White Blood Cells is my favorite....another made fast.

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 08:10:06 AM »

I don't mind if it takes him an hour as long as he keeps putting out a raw sound that isn't raw for the sake of it. I get the impression he has so much music floating around in his head that quick is the only way he'll get it out.
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »

It only took the Beatles two takes to nail their famous "Twist and Shout" recording. Sometimes it just clicks?

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 10:52:55 PM »

I was thinking about this today: If the Stripes do release another album this year, as rumored, then if you add up all of their albums (6) plus the potential, the 2 Raconteurs' albums, the Dead Weather album and the Loretta Lynn album, then Jack White has pretty much made 11 albums since 1999, and that's not counting the work he did on the movie Cold Mountain, the Coca Cola ad, the James Bond theme.....

That's a pretty incredible stat. It's obvious the Stripes will go to the Hall of Fame, but more deserving would be just Jack White. But I guess he'd have to officially put out albums alone as Jack White for that. Right?

I know I toot his horn a lot, but that whole 11 albums thing really opened my eyes today. I think we're watching a true legend at work and he probably hasn't even scratched the surface on work to come. And I think he's doing it rather quietly and people aren't really focusing on the bigger picture. It's just "Oh, another new album by Jack White."

I'm thinking when we look back, he's going to be labeled the most important musician of our generation.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 12:18:40 AM »

Until recently, Ryan Adams was keeping up with him in number of albums released - 11 since 2000 (post Whiskeytown). He also produced an album for Willie Nelson. Not that I'm a big fan, but I do support my former local musician.
also known as rcc94

JohnnyRoyale

• Town Drunk
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 12:59:32 AM »

Until recently, Ryan Adams was keeping up with him in number of albums released - 11 since 2000 (post Whiskeytown). He also produced an album for Willie Nelson. Not that I'm a big fan, but I do support my former local musician.

Although I'm not a fan of Adams, that is impressive as well.

New doc: http://www.itmightgetloud.com/index.html

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 08:49:05 AM »

Must. Fight. Urge. To. Disagree.

rva

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 12:01:45 PM »

It's obvious the Stripes will go to the Hall of Fame, but more deserving would be just Jack White.

To put this in some perspective:

Number of top ten singles

White Stripes: 0
Lady Gaga: 1
Nickelback: 6
Britney Spears: 7
Kelly Clarkson: 8

This is not to say that any of these other acts are better or that sales are all that matter.  But it highlights the fact that well, no one really listens to The White Stripes.  And for you to be a significant part of music history, no matter how talented you might be, someone has to have actually heard your stuff.

Almost everyone has heard a Britney Spears song, or a Kelly Clarkson song.  And because of that they've both been influential.  Can Spears or Clarkson actually take that much credit for Miley Cyrus, High School Musical, Carrie Underwood, AI, etc.?  Probably not.  In terms of the actual music, Max Martin without a doubt pulls more strings.  But without Britney, does Max Martin get his big break?  If Clarkson had stiffed, would AI still be popular?

So I think the reality is that Britney Spears and Kelly Clarkson are more likely to go into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame than The White Stripes or Jack White.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 05:25:57 PM »

Bob Pollard writes at least 100 songs a day
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

matt

• Citizen
    • Every Issue Presents Itself
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2009, 08:07:59 PM »

...while on the toilet.
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up