Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: All-nighter rock show in Dayton 7/11  (Read 1882 times)

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
All-nighter rock show in Dayton 7/11
« on: June 09, 2009, 07:48:26 PM »

My best gal Cassie Barker is finally fulfilling her dream of opening her own salon next month.  
On Saturday July 11, we're going to have a kick-off event to promote the grand opening (which will happen sometime late July).  Not only is this a hell of a deal - 6 bands, vendors, and more importantly, BEER all for five bucks - but it's also a great opportunity to support a local business.  What the hell does this have to do with ol' Vizz, you ask?  Well, I will be her sole employee and business partner (no, I'm not quitting my job), and I'm the sheriff of this here rock and roll event.  

I hope to see as many of you there as possible!

In case of emergency, breakdance.

Juliana

• City Elder
Re: All-nighter rock show in Dayton 7/11
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:11:47 AM »

Good for Cassie!
She was a few (like 4) years younger than me, but she's a Carlisle grad too.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »

Isn't Akillis Green that weird band your buddy is in?  Too bad we can't go, I don't think a week old baby would enjoy the show though.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »

Good for Cassie!
She was a few (like 4) years younger than me, but she's a Carlisle grad too.

Woah! I forgot you went to Carlisle and had no idea you two knew one another. 

Akillis Green is weird, but very entertaining.  I actually had a great surf rock band lined up for the headliner, and they had to bow out.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:54:47 PM »

Akillis Green is weird, but very entertaining.  I actually had a great surf rock band lined up for the headliner, and they had to bow out.

No argument with you on AG... I liked them.  Wouldn't sit around listening to them on CD but they're fun live.  The surf rock band wasn't The Flux Capacitors was it?  Those guys are pretty good for a bunch of young kids.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:55:50 PM »

Yep, Akills is Derek's band.
Cassie was in my sister's grade I think, so she was a freshman when i was a senior.  I know her sister was in band the same time as I was, and I think Cassie was either in band or hung out with us band nerds.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 01:39:35 PM »

No argument with you on AG... I liked them.  Wouldn't sit around listening to them on CD but they're fun live.  The surf rock band wasn't The Flux Capacitors was it?  Those guys are pretty good for a bunch of young kids.

Nope, it was Brian Hoeflich and the All-Nighters.  Brian was lucky enough to quit his day job for a full-time touring gig playing rock and roll, so considering we're not paying the bands, he had to pass on our show for a paying gig.  Dude's got kids to feed!

That reminds me - yet another reason to come to this show: Cassie, the proprietor, is a single mother of three children that has never received a dime of child support.  Opening this shop has been her goal for several years and she's worked her ass off for it.  All the money so far has come out of pocket - no loans and no grants.   

I thought about asking the Professors once the other band bowed out, but they're not exactly known for having big hearts and doing shows for free.

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:14:26 PM »

BUMP!!

I'm so fancy, I made it into the papers - and not even for assault!  Ok, well, the newspaper's website. Good enough!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/botb/entries/2009/07/07/cherry_lees_gra.html

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 03:25:06 PM »

I'm so fancy, I made it into the papers - and not even for assault! 
SPIT TAKE!!!

Yay, Vizz! I'm excited for this show to finally be here. I wish I could come up and rock out in the GEM!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 10:06:16 PM »

So.... how did this go?

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 10:00:57 AM »

It was pretty good.  From an outsider perspective, I'm sure it seemed like a relative success - but Cassie and I were very disappointed in the turnout.  We counted at least 60 people that swore up and down (even the day of) that they wouldn't miss it for the world and were so excited for it. 
Had those 60 people shown up, we would have made our goal for profit.  We made $1000 all together, but it cost us close to $500 to put it all together.  It was a LOT of hard work to end up with that amount of money, and I promoted the hell out of that show.

We plan on making the rock & roll show an annual thing, but fuck a DIY venue next year. We're having it at a bar where they can worry about everything but the bands.

Speaking of, the bands all SLAYED.  It always bums me out to see a great group of musicians playing to a half-empty joint. I had never heard much of half of the bands, so I didn't know what to expect.  But, they were all amazing.  One new band from Dayton that played for the first time ever at our shindig called Me and Mountain, and I was incredibly impressed with them.  Strangely, having never played out before, they were the most polished of the bunch.  But, all the bands were wonderful about playing for free and helping some broads out.

Bottom line, of the people that did show and did volunteer, we couldnt' have asked for a better group. 

Doug

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 01:03:15 PM »

Next time you should have a Rock and Roll garage sale.
Pages: [1]   Go Up