Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Glee  (Read 6582 times)

Juliana

• City Elder
Re: Glee
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 04:09:58 PM »

Yeah, I'm really concerned when a show about GLEE CLUB gets football game stuff wrong
 ::)
dorks.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »

I had a beautiful vision of Friday Night Lights and Glee merging in to a beautiful crossover.  Taylor Kitsch singing "I Feel Pretty", anyone?

rva

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »

Man, I keep trying to get into this show and I can't.  It's like 30 Rock for me.  It's entertaining in a surface way, but the whole thing is just an excuse for some one liners and a song-and-dance number.  I don't care about anyone in the show, and the musical stuff gets old really fast.

The insincerity of the show kinda bugs me, too.  Like the people in the club are supposed to be losers, except you know (and it's obvious) that they are taking the shit dead seriously, are highly trained, are just trying to show off all their dance moves and singing as much as possible.  None of them are remotely losers.  In fact, they're kind of the highly obnoxious uber-competitive people in real life who I hated in high school.  It's like casting "Bad News Bears" with a team of AAA all-stars trying to act like they're just regular schlubs.

Plus "Single Ladies" is actually a pretty cool updating of a Bob Fosse number.  The choreography and Beyonce's dancing in that, as well as the cinematography where it's all one single long shot is pretty impressive.  Plus she made that video because people were posting it on YouTube with different songs added to it.  So it's like a number inspired by a parody already.  You can't parody a parody.  That's like remaking a Weird Al song.  And it's a little sad that Fosse number got harshed on anyway.  Not that it isn't cheesy, but it deserved a little better.  Beyonce's version was cool and while kinda funny, also played proper homage to the original.  The thing on Glee Club did not.  It's like if you were remaking The Bad News Bears and you watched the 1986 WS.  Then you decided to have the ball go through the first baseman's leg for a simple cheap laugh.  That play was so much more than just a comical error.  Really, you missed the whole point.  

So in summary, Glee is like watching the Bad News Bears with a team of AAA all-stars emulating a ragtag group of kids, containing scenes which are played for surface laughs rather than capture the fully glory, pain, humor, sadness, etc. of the sport or the particular game they are drawn from.  And then you like cast Hayden Panettiere as Amanda Whurlitzer and as a "clever" wink you have some sort of cheap coke joke in there, without understanding that Tatum O'Neal was like, a GODDESS in that movie.

Or more succinctly, watching Glee is like watching the movie version of Fever Pitch. 

It appears I have turned into Bill Simmons.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 07:28:18 PM by rva »

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 07:25:50 PM »

Yeah, I'm really concerned when a show about GLEE CLUB gets football game stuff wrong
 ::)
dorks.

I was kinda kidding, but seriously, those are giant infractions. Nobody on the shooting staff watches football? I still thought it was hilarious, but details, man!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 09:52:48 PM »

I have a feeling RVA may in the minority with his feelings on Glee.

We caught last night's epi - first we'd watched - and found it hugly entertaining. Not sure it can sustain the momentum but its funny right now.

Talking about losing momentum tonight's "Office" was another decidedly average one. The opening segment with Michael asking about feelings during a colonoscopy excluded. The rest? Not funny.
Opulence. I has it.

rva

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 11:24:51 PM »

Remember how in Laverne and Shirley every third or fourth episode would involve Carmine or Shirley singing or dancing for no reason, other than I guess Carmine and Shirley thought they were too cool for the show and wanted to show off their "talent?  That's what Glee feels like to me.  Everyone's not-so-subtlely showing off.

And you know what happened?  Penny Marshall is a totally famous director, Lenny is a totally famous actor who stars in Harold Pinot plays from Broadway as well as comedic farces, and Squiggy is a major league baseball scout.  What do Cindy Williams and Eddie Mekka do?  Mostly regional theater and gimmick acting jobs.  That's what you get for showing off.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 12:25:06 AM »

Talking about losing momentum tonight's "Office" was another decidedly average one. The opening segment with Michael asking about feelings during a colonoscopy excluded. The rest? Not funny.

The thing with Michael inadvertently screwing Jim is classic Office comedy though.  Almost all of the first season was so uncomfortable you couldn't stand it, much like this was.  Last week was funny as hell so it washes.  It's still got it AFAIAC they just have to keep the plot moving too.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Hell Toupee

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 09:49:23 PM »

"Throwdown" was a great episode.

Drizzle.  :D

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 07:26:46 AM »

Sue is Ca-ray-zay!

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 05:23:56 AM »

Sue is Ca-ray-zay!
In the most awesome way possible
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

rva

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »

Yeah, Jane Lynch is always awesome.  Still hate the show, though.

Hell Toupee

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 02:57:18 PM »

Sue is Ca-ray-zay!
In the most awesome way possible

I was practically on the floor when she was doing the jitterbug (or whatever it was) last night.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »

I guess they're trying to emulate broadway style musicals with this show but I'm starting to get weary of the complete lack of realism and the lip synching sucks.  This is the best damn glee club in the world, and in the history of glee clubs.

And they need to just drop Will's wife, that plot line adds absolutely nothing.  Why can't they retire these boring old sit-com conventions, let it go.  I like what The Office has done, put them together but give them some other kind of problem to deal with.  Seeing them ache for each other isn't nearly as enjoyable as them being happy.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 03:16:45 PM by Kwyjibo »

Doug

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »

I just watch it for the cheerleader dance numbers.

rva

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 05:13:53 PM »

I guess they're trying to emulate broadway style musicals with this show but I'm starting to get weary of the complete lack of realism and the lip synching sucks.  This is the best damn glee club in the world, and in the history of glee clubs.

Exactly, man. Not only are they highly polished, but they have superhuman powers.  They can be handed a piece of sheet music and immediately everyone can just sing it while performing highly technical and intricately coordinated "improvised" dance routines. 

Half of them have mics and the other half don't, but somehow the vocal levels are perfect.  Except there are no amps in sight and the mics have no cords while clearly not being cordless mics so that means they aren't even working so maybe that's why.  Except if none of the mics are working then there is no electronic signal so how can one of them be auto-tuned?

Every number I have to watch some guy very badly pretending to play an instrument that can't possibly be heard in the first place (because it's not plugged in or mic'ed) and isn't actually even used in the number, while in the meantime some OTHER instrument is being heard with no one playing it. 

And then all the plot lines are ridiculous and suck.  That really cannot be stressed enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up