Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Tech Musings  (Read 23675 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Random Tech Musings
« Reply #105 on: September 09, 2015, 02:35:37 PM »

IE isn't bad from an end user perspective but it's a nightmare to support and develop applications for.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2015, 03:42:24 PM »

So those Amazon Dash buttons, that were an April Fools joke this year or last are, apparently, now a real thing.

AmazonDash

Still for fools though, methinks.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2015, 04:32:05 PM »

Yup. But if it wasn't so expensive to get kitty litter delivered (I have looked in to it!), I would soooo do that.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2015, 02:11:07 PM »

Wait, what do you mean? I get a 40 lb bag delivered from Amazon because I don't want to carry it. How much more is it for you to get it delivered. The one I get - Dr. Elsy's something or another...it's blue - is like $15. Is that expensive?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2015, 02:53:50 PM »

True, something like that would make a lot of sense.  Also, something like salt for our water softener (not looking forward to schlepping that shit around, let me tell you) would be great if the price were comparable, but Amazon doesn't even sell it directly.  Third party sellers are $15 a bag with $25 shipping, it's $4 at Menard's.

You're getting 40lbs. bags of litter delivered for $15 total?  I'd say that's actually not too bad.  Though, that'd be about a $5 markup for the shipping here, which is more than I'd pay for that convenience.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »

I was looking at Arm and Hammer for a 40 lb box from amazon at $40. (I think it was that much- it's been awhile since I looked) It's $15 at Target. May be switching to Dr. Elsy's!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2015, 11:26:34 AM »

I forgot to mention that I pay for Amazon prime, so I don't care about the shipping issues. Agree that is a real cost, too, if you don't have the prime membership.

Edit...............................
This is what I order:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009X29WK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Confirmed that it's about $15 (including Prime shipping).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:31:42 AM by Dan »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2015, 12:55:40 PM »

Most people go through cat litter at a predictable rate, so I think they'd just subscribe rather than use the Dash button.

The Kraft Mac N' Cheese is the odd one to me.  If you push it, do you get like just ONE Mac N' Cheese?  Kraft Mac N' Cheese is readily available and easily storable so you can just go buy 30 boxes and then not run out.  And if you do, it's not like you can't get it at every grocery store, drug store, and convenience mart.

I think it's kind of genius from Amazon.  I don't think they will make that much money from retail sales, but it forwards the "Internet of things" concept where we should expect everything to be hooked up to the net.  Which is where the REAL Amazon makes $$$.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »

It might have been before I got Prime that I looked... but thanks for sending what you use. Does it deal with odor ok? And does it clump well? (I like how I've managed to turn the tech musings thread into a cat thread, thankyouverymuch!)

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2015, 10:55:03 AM »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »

Truthfully, I've never had a problem with that litter. I've also never used any other litter, so I don't know how it compares.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #116 on: November 04, 2015, 11:54:11 PM »

My iPhone bricked itself today.  Don't know why.

I was able to get it restored mostly, but I had to upgrade to 9.1.  Which means I lost my jailbreak.

And I have discovered I haaaaaate stock IOS.  Beyond any reason.

I mean, it is no big deal to have to make an extra push, or swipe when I feel like using a button.  It takes like .1 second.  And the icons aren't where I like them and the screen is ugly.  All of these things should be tiny annoyances, but instead they fill me with rage.

I had that phone set up exactly how I liked it.  I think it is because the things I want it no big deal that it angers me so much that Apple won't let me do it.  Really for no reason.

They need to jailbreak 9.1 fast. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2016, 10:32:12 PM »

They could have hooked it up to Spotify/Rdio/Beats instead of Amazon Prime.  That would have helped tremendously.  I probably would have bought one.

Other than that the major problem is that in the "Internet of things" it's an end-point/dead end.  It's not connected to anything else.  As it is, all it does is allow you to use your voice to execute some functions no one really cares about.  And if they did, they could get it done with a smartphone and a bluetooth speaker.

If it actually allowed you to use your voice to do new and useful things, then it could be a game changer.

I'm thinking:

-If it were a universal remote control for your TV, so that instead of paging through 10,000 menus with a shitty remote that doesn't even have alphanumeric keys I could just be like "Watch Broncos Game" or "Record Walking Dead."

-If it could turn my lights off and on or control small appliances.

-If it were hooked it up to IFTTT.  I wouldn't use that functionality, but a lot of people would.  Particularly the kind of geeky people who are first adapters.

-If you could hook it up to your TV so that if you asked it for directions or about James Dean it could show you a map or wiki page instead of just talking at you.

So... A couple years later

Spotify: check

Tv universal remote:  Not quite there, but getting close.  If you buy anymote you can call out channels and on/off, volume and stuff like that. 

Control lights/appliances:  check

IFTTT: check

It is actually nicer than Siri as you can yell at it easier across a room.  It is super handy cooking, because you can set a timer or really quick ask it for a unit conversion without touching your phone with dirty hands.

Still a bit more toy than indispensable home device.... But it is getting close.  Jeff Bezos, I am sorry I doubted you and sold your stock despite the immense profit I made.  If it dips again, I'm buying. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2016, 11:09:23 PM »

Is it me, or in the last 6 months or so has the internet retreated to 2000?

I have a decently equipped PC and good connection speed but my browser crashes all the time because of websites trying to auto-play video and crappy unnecessary Flash and linking to 10,000 sites that slow things down.  And I always browse with my audio off so I'm not having to hear shit forcefed down my throat.

I thought that we figured this out a long time ago.  When you over do it with the streaming and stuff you end up cutting off your audience because they will just stop going to your crash-ridden site.  Make your site accessible to everyone, more people will read your content. 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »

You should try reading the NY Times without an ad blocker. It's insane how much stuff they have there.

Then turn the ad blocker on and suddenly it's a wonderful website. How does the Times not understand this?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up