Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Tech Musings  (Read 23787 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Random Tech Musings
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 03:21:41 PM »

I'm getting my old lappy out of mothballs and reformatting it with Ubuntu, as I've heard it will take an old piece of crap and light a fire under it.

How did this work out for you?  I'm thinking about doing this with our old desktop that I want to turn into a media PC.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 09:28:02 AM »

One of the bosses here bought an iPad.  I played with it for a few minutes and it's pretty slick.  It really is just an oversized iPod Touch but the display is killer.  It's going to take a while to catch on but I'd wager tablet/pad PCs are here to stay, if I could do on that the few things I do on my laptop at home I would ditch the laptop in a heartbeat.

Doug

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 09:51:51 AM »

One of the bosses here bought an iPad.  I played with it for a few minutes and it's pretty slick.  It really is just an oversized iPod Touch but the display is killer.  It's going to take a while to catch on but I'd wager tablet/pad PCs are here to stay, if I could do on that the few things I do on my laptop at home I would ditch the laptop in a heartbeat.

My co-worker pre-ordered one.  It's all I've been hearing about all morning.  I've never seen one and I'm already sick of them.

Maybe I'm jaded from all of my years spent building, repairing and supporting computers, but I'm to the point where I could care less about every new toy that comes down the pipe.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 10:03:42 AM »

I agree, but I also imagine the days of the ever bigger and better PC is nearly over.  The only people that will have them will be gamers.  Most people do little more than surf the web, listen to music and watch videos on their PCs, all of which you can do on a smaller, cheaper platform now.  I'm not saying necessarily that the iPad is going to be the next great frontier or that playing with it left me speechless and wanting to run out and buy one but it's certainly a step in that direction.  Once these devices (iPads, iPod Touch, Droid or whatever) can do a few heavier things, like manage your checkbook, do your taxes and has a larger storage capacity say goodbye to the PC being anything more than an appliance you have to make room for to support your smaller device.

Doug

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »

Once these devices (iPads, iPod Touch, Droid or whatever) can do a few heavier things, like manage your checkbook, do your taxes and has a larger storage capacity say goodbye to the PC being anything more than an appliance you have to make room for to support your smaller device.

I agree completely.  I don't even use my desktop PC anymore, but I carry my laptop all over the hose to listen to music, surf, etc.  I'm already doing all of the stuff I could do on an iPad.  I'm pretty equal opportunity sick of most new technology.  I guess I see it as all middle ground between where we're at now and the next big step.  Who knows where that step will take us.  The way I see it, as long as I can do all of that on my current machine, I won't be throwing my money into the wind to feed Apple or Microsoft or anyone else who releases these incremental steps in a blatant grab for my cash.  When something really big comes along that blows away everything I know now and can do things that I can't currently do with the technology I have, then I will relenquish my dollars.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »

Yeah, I was probably being a bit over zealous with my initial post.  Our laptop is probably safe until it dies.  Which will certainly be much too soon, it's already slower than crap.  But I have a hard time finding any convenience in it.  The battery lasts no time at all, even when it would charge (no, we've never gotten it fixed).

That's all to say that when it comes time to replace the laptop the iPad certainly has a chance at being an option, assuming the capacity goes up.  I have no doubts it will learn some new tricks before I'm in the market for one.  I guess I'm just excited to see where it goes.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »

And I think it's stupid and lame and have no desire for one.
I just think you wouldn't want to sit one on your lap and stare at it for a long time and you wouldn't want to put it flat on a table because that wouldn't be comfortable either, so what do you need?  A stand.  And what's that called?  A freaking monitor.

Whatev.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 10:25:10 PM »

I don't understand why in the world they did not put a camera in the stupid thing. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Hell Toupee

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »

I don't understand why in the world they did not put a camera in the stupid thing. 

...or microphone, or Flash (although I understand the Apple/Adobe tiff), or a small USB port, or let it multitask, etc., etc.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 11:02:33 PM »

I think the iPad is going to highlight a lot of the flaws in in iPhone OS unless there are some major changes soon.  For example, Flash not being on the iPhone is a small annoyance, but people put up with it because they generally aren't doing heavy duty surfing.  But on the iPad where it is meant to be used for surfing the net, I think it will become a much bigger deal that there are so many sites that don't work without flash.  Same thing with multitasking.  On the iPhone it was something that would be nice to have, but not a huge deal.  But with the iPad being pushed as an internet machine, not being able to have instant messaging open while you are surfing the net becomes a much larger issue.  The things that are small annoyances on a phone become much bigger issues on an iPad.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

rva

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 12:04:52 AM »

Yeah, not being able to multitask or play Flash are HUGE flaws in the product. 

The major weakness of the iPhone is that you are tied to a two year contract with AT&T.  The major weakness of the iPod Touch is no 3G so it's useless in many situations.  The iPad fixes those problems, but you have to shell out $900 for it.  And you lose portability and without multitasking or Flash, the beefier OS and bigger screen are pointless.

Having said that, I think it'll probably be at least another year before someone puts out a really good pad that gets it right.  And the company that does that could very well still be Apple.  They'll learn from this device and gain a foothold in the market and with the app developers.  So from that perspective, it's not a bad idea for Apple to put it out.  It is a bad idea however, to buy one.  "I know at least 2-3 hardcore Apple freaks who aren't getting the iPad.  In fact, I don't know anyone who is planning on getting one.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »

I definitely wouldn't want the launch version, too expensive, too much room for improvement.  Down the road though I definitely see the potential.  Unlike my wife I definitely see this as a vast improvement over that big clunky laptop/laptop table/cord running across the room annoyance combo we've got junking up our living room now.

Doug

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:18:47 PM by Doug »

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »

Happened to see this quote on the interwebs from some Apple rumor site.

By the end of 2012, we’re pretty sure Apple is going to make its big move and introduce a television set, including a full and working Apple Store, Siri controls and iCloud. Nothing could be better.

I would add "or more expensive".

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »

I would add "or more expensive".
Hah, so true  ;D

Soooo, it seems that at CES this week not only have a bunch of 4K resolution LED TVs been unveiled, but also at least one 8K TV. Assuming the difference in price is about the same as between 720p/1080p when they were first released, why would anyone bother buying a 4K TV? Are 720p TVs even manufactured any more? I also wonder how visible the difference will be between 4K/8K and whether higher refresh rates will be standard - I should hope at least 200Hz.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up