Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Tech Musings  (Read 23644 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Random Tech Musings
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2015, 05:42:12 PM »

I put a CD in my laptop today.  I tried to open it in Explorer and play the songs on it, and they wouldn't play.  I was like, "wtf?"

Then I ejected it and put it back in and it started playing automatically.  I was puzzled for about 2 minutes, until I remembered that it was an actual audio CD, and had to be converted to mp3. 

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2015, 11:39:11 AM »

DRM strikes again!

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2015, 09:25:32 PM »

I don't understand, man.   What does Apple have against widgets?

I was going to hold out for the Galaxy 6, but then I really needed a new iPad and I could get $200 off an iPad if I got an iPhone 6.  Which amounts really to free iPhone 6 with purchase of iPad.  So I got the iPhone.

It's annoying me, a lot.  I like being able to take my phone out of my pocket and see the time and weather.  On the lock screen.  And also on the home screen.  Why does Apple think I want to turn on my phone and get a bunch of static icons shoved in my face?  This is supposed to be a great GUI?  Shit hasn't changed since 2007.

I don't mind it too much on the iPad, because if I take out the iPad I'm probably going to do something. 

But I use my cell phone like a watch.  It works great.  That way, I don't have to pay $300 for an Apple Watch, and wear an Apple watch.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2015, 09:55:33 AM »

I got an iPhone 6 in November and although I'm fine with everything, I'm pretty convinced that the Galaxy S line is the way to go these days. I don't even have a particular complaint (yours above are all accurate) but it just seems like the droid stuff is better.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2015, 10:43:49 AM »

Have they ever done anything about the terrible TouchWiz interface? I remember that being a HUGE issue with some of the older Galaxy phones. Even with top of the line hardware, the TouchWiz interface slowed everything down to a crawl.

I with they would just do away with the stupid bolt on front end interfaces for Android phones. I have used them and none of them are as good as stock android. They just monkey around with good settings and make it harder to use.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2015, 02:12:54 PM »

Why would you have an iPhone and not jailbreak it? You can have all the widgets you want, then.

I just switched from my beloved old iPhone 4S to an Xperia Z3 Compact because it was a third the price of an iPhone 6, and I'm loving it. So slick. Much prefer designs that are all glass instead of all aluminium.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2015, 03:42:27 PM »

I don't have a clue how to jailbreak something. I know I saw yours and it looked sweet, but it just feels like a lot of work. Is it?

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2015, 05:10:17 PM »

It's only a lot of work if you want to make your own themes and tweaks. The actual jailbreak itself is really easy - just let the software do its thing. The sheer quantity of tweaks and themes available can be overwhelming at first, but reddit.com/r/jailbreak and reddit.com/r/iosthemes are both extremely helpful.

Honestly, I would jailbreak for f.lux alone - anyone who has it installed on their computer knows why. Total eye saver.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2015, 08:02:30 PM »

Z3 Compact was the phone I wanted, but it's tough to get in the US.  Everyone here wants their phones as huge as possible, so no carriers have it.  You can get it independently, but it's like $600 although prices may have gone down since last fall when I was looking.

I don't really have any complaints about the iPhone.  I just think it's weird that Apple won't update their lock and homescreen.

Like yeah, the Touchwiz and some of the other fake Androids get all bloaty and laggy.  And some of those widgets aren't well-written and mess up your phone-- or at least kill your batteries.  And really, I think most people stop using them, except for maybe clock/weather and a couple others.

But that's kind of my point.  I personally have always been in favor of the "it's my phone, so let me mess it up if I want" approach, but I'm just taking this even from Apple's standpoint.  They've all but allowed widgets... you just have to cram them in the notification thing.  Which seems like all of the bad, and none of the good.  I can put like 20 widgets in my notifications and have them all constantly checking for data and/or clutter up my shizz and/or slow down the system.  I just have to swipe once.

So why not just put the weather on the screen and save me a swipe?  You're not suddenly allowing those third party rabble to destroy your carefully designed OS.  Just take the 3-4 most commonly used widgets and make them available as an option.  It's not really hard, nor does it really destroy the brand.  You can force people to use Apple font, and not change the colors or skins or whatever.

And then too, a lot of people jailbreak their iphones.  Some people are just inveterate tinkerers or whatever, but I think a lot of people are just like "I wish I could get the weather." or "Man, I'm tired of looking at this massive grid of icons in my face."  Just a minor amount of customization would prevent a lot of jailbreaks.  Which, to me if you're trying to lock people in to Apple is a lot worse than allowing someone to change a font color.  To me, if you're the arty Apple type, you like things clean.  And the homepage with it's filled up grid of icons (many of them useless Apple bloat-- *cough* Apple watch *cough*-- doesn't meet that aesthetic.

It just seems like Apple won't do it, because they feel like that would be admitting defeat in some way to Android.  But like any of their fans would even care.  They'll just say Apple made it better and usable.  Like the mouse.  Or the iPod.

Anyway, I will probably jailbreak my iphone at some point.  It's not a priority for me, because I don't really use my cell phone hardly at all.  OTOH, I don't care about the risks/cons because I don't really use my cell phone hardly at all.  So, I dunno.  Probably one day I'll be massively bored and just jailbreak it for kicks.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:52 PM »

You might find yourself using it a lot more once it's jailbroken, purely because it will be a much more pleasant experience. I don't find it surprising that Apple haven't included widgets in iOS, because they haven't made any real innovations in any of their operating systems for years. Frankly, I don't think their recent hardware innovations are all that great, either. The iPhone 4 and original MacBook Air were probably the last truly great things they came up with.

Also, the Z3 Compact is 240 here at the moment (network locked to O2), so let me know if you want one shipped over ;)

Edit: Scratch that, it's gone back up to 360 now. Glad I got one when I did!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:36:43 PM by lutz »

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2015, 01:39:17 PM »

A swift kick in the nuts goes out to the exec at Cisco that decided to discontinue Cisco connect and replace it with a branded version of Jabber.  What a piece of shit this thing is.

Enjoying all those features?  Hahaha!  Gone.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2015, 11:44:23 AM »

So, does anyone actually use Internet Explorer? I ask because it's our web guy's default browser at work, and I was under the impression noone (not even grannies!) used IE any more.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2015, 11:57:13 AM »

I use it at work because we use SharePoint 2010 and our internal apps are designed for IE. Some things in SP2010 only work in IE. In all honesty, it is not bad at all. I rarely have an issue with it, it is decently fast, and it displays almost everything as it should. The only thing it is missing is plugins like Chrome and FireFox for things like ad-blockers. If it had that I would consider it on par with the other browsers.  At one time it was definitely WAY behind everything else, but they have done a good job of getting it caught up.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »

That's good to know- I had just heard so much negative about it that I wasn't sure what was going on.
Kinda glad I don't have to deal with Sharepoint- we did at my old job, and that was no fun! (Lots of control issues, and amazingly, not coming from me)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2015, 02:19:13 PM »

Explorer doesn't have as much functionality in Google Maps and, primarily, Google Street View. This makes all the difference at my job, so I continue on Chrome as my primary.

However, my office uses SharePoint as well, and a number of other in-house apps, which all seem to work better on IE. So I use that when I have to.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up