Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Tech Musings  (Read 24792 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Random Tech Musings
« on: September 23, 2009, 10:11:55 AM »

It irritates the living daylights out of me that if you have a lengthy excel spreadsheet and you delete a good portion of the rows that the slider on the right doesn't recalculate to only cover the remaining lines.  I'm working on a spreadsheet today that I whittled down to 500 rows from 20,000.  If I want to select 200 of those rows out of the middle and highlight the first one and just barely pull down on the slider I end up at row 4000.  There ceased to be information 3500 rows ago!  So obnoxious.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Re: Random Tech Musings
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 11:12:52 AM »

Does it still happen if you close the spreadsheet and reopen? I know some versions of Excel calculate the slider lengths on opening and don't recalculate while it's open.
also known as rcc94

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »

Hahaha. That's great. I've had that problem, too.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 01:13:45 PM »

Does it still happen if you close the spreadsheet and reopen? I know some versions of Excel calculate the slider lengths on opening and don't recalculate while it's open.

Sometimes it does, today, no.  They did a lot of really nice things with 2007, I really don't get how they could have missed something so minor yet so freaking aggravating.

Doug

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:28:29 AM »

I run into new things to hate about Excel almost every day.  Just lately my hatred is focused on:

1) 65K row limit
2) Tries to close quotes when a file is saved as CSV
3) Drops leading zeroes unless the column is specially formatted.  Even then, if you format the column as Text, save the file as a CSV and the open it up again, it drops the leading zeroes.

AAARGH!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:55:22 AM »

I've never run into the 65k rows problem, thank the good Lord.  However, that leading zeros thing drives me insane.  Some zip codes start with a zero for Christ's sake!  Leave them alone.  The East Coast hates you for this.

Docta

• Tourist
    • http://www.thestockmans.net
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 06:17:04 AM »

I run into new things to hate about Excel almost every day.  Just lately my hatred is focused on:

1) 65K row limit
2) Tries to close quotes when a file is saved as CSV
3) Drops leading zeroes unless the column is specially formatted.  Even then, if you format the column as Text, save the file as a CSV and the open it up again, it drops the leading zeroes.

AAARGH!

csv files do not hold any formatting.  when you open the file, any spreadsheet app will probably assume the same thing that it's a number and not text.  if you're pushing the row limit you need to move on to a real database app.

Doug

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 08:25:42 AM »

csv files do not hold any formatting.  when you open the file, any spreadsheet app will probably assume the same thing that it's a number and not text.  if you're pushing the row limit you need to move on to a real database app.

I know about the no formatting....it just pisses me off when it happens.

I'm actually working with 90K row csv exports from a 3rd party app and using DTS to import them into SQL.  It's not much fun.

rva

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 09:58:48 AM »

Are you using MS?  Because I hate the DTS Package creator in Enterprise Manager more than anything on this planet.  ESPECIALLY HOW IT DOES THE TRANSFORMATION STEPS.

My beef with Excel is that if you take a column that has leading zeroes, and you change it to text, and then you can do a find and replace (eg. find "809" replace with "0809) it won't really do it.

Excel will show the leading zeroes, and if you look at the column format, it will say it's text.  However, you won't be able to import that data into text SQL field via DTS.  It'll still treat it as a number and screw up.  But if you go to that cell and manually type in "0809," then hit return, suddenly the data in that cell becomes text.  You can tell because you get that little green triangle that indicates you have a number in a text field.  If you do find and replace, you don't get it.  Of course, no one is going to manually type "0809" 45,000 times.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »

Why in the hell do Java and Adobe reader need to update so damn much?  Do I need all these java updates?  What are they even for?  Can I make them stop somehow?

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »

Are you on Vista?

My wife's lappy is on Vista... she gets Java updates nearly every single day.  She gets Adobe updates like twice a week.

I'm on XP Pro and do not get updates on either more than once every 30-60 days.  I have mine set to ASK, so it's not just doing it in the background.

I'm getting my old lappy out of mothballs and reformatting it with Ubuntu, as I've heard it will take an old piece of crap and light a fire under it.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »

Yes, Vista.  Why would it need to update Java and Adobe so much?

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 10:16:58 AM »

I have no idea.  It annoys her to death.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:54 AM »

rva

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 10:31:14 AM »

I wouldn't do that if I were you.  There's a lot of java exploits out there, so you need to keep somewhat up-to-date.

You can set how often java updates itself via control panel.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up