Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Tech Musings  (Read 12724 times)

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
Re: Random Tech Musings
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2016, 12:06:56 PM »

Auto-play videos are the worst. They show up in the weirdest places (like when you empty the spam folder in Yahoo mail). There should be an easily findable way within every browser to turn off auto-play. I know some browsers make it sort of simple but not all...

And, Dan, the Times is earning a good chunk of money from selling the advertising on the website. It's a consistent revenue stream so they're going to keep at it. 
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2016, 03:34:00 PM »

Well, they aren't making much money when everyone has an ad blocker on. I could withstand a few ads, but if you overload it like that then I'm going to find ways to block it out. Or just not visit (ahem, Forbes, ahem), and isn't that losing them even more money?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2018, 04:43:52 PM »

Facebook Portal, wtf?

It's a video screen with a camera that works with Amazon Alexa.  Why wouldn't I just buy an Echo Show for way cheaper?  I guess portal has better camera stuff, but no one wants a camera on in their house all the time.  And especially no one wants Facebook to have a camera on in their house all the time.

They should be selling this for $100 LESS than Alexa to get the userbase, not $100 MORE.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2018, 02:10:50 PM »

I don't want facebook having control over a camera in my house at all, nor Amazon.  Who is dumb enough to allow this shit?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »

I have an Echo Show, but I keep the camera disabled via the software settings and I put tape over the lens.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2018, 11:03:18 PM »

Essentially I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but the general idea of bringing a device into your home that has a camera and hence can watch what is happening seems ultra strange to me (even if you put a tape over the lens). Talk about "Big Brother"!

So glad that I am not on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or all those other social media. I just don't see the use of them. (I am on LinkedIn, I admit, for my work.)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2018, 10:32:48 AM »

So something like a PetCube is potentially invasive I guess too?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2018, 01:17:16 PM »

Anything with a camera and/or mic is potentially invasive.  I don't see the reason to freak out about it, though.

They can't really mind video images for stuff that well yet.  But even if they could, why would they.  A passive camera looking at a blank room most of the time or just some dude watching TV doesn't tell you much.  They get a lot more from your cellphone and online accounts, because they are active.  You are making a choice and showing preferences and tendencies-- where you drive, what you look for online, what you buy, etc. in a feedback loop. 

I'm not on Facebook, but Google already knows from my photos and my contacts who my dad is, and when I call and text him.  Does seeing me call him really add that much to the equation?  Especially compared to the amount of data streaming and storage a video takes vs all my texts and emails?

I have my camera blacked out on my Show because I don't make video calls.  So I have nothing to gain and potentially something to lose and it takes like 25 seconds to put some electrical tape over the lens.  But if I was really into video calls I would have the camera on and not really be worried about it.

Everyone just needs to learn how to handle the new info. age better.  Older people have to be a little less paranoid but younger people have to be a little less stupid as well.  Do you really want everyone to know the stupid shit you said when you were 17?

There's a balance between too much anonymity/privacy and too little.  If you ask me, so far the major damage from social media and the like has been less from hackers and dataming and more from people's ability to anonymously make up lies or slander and harass others.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up