Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: xbox 360 - Sell me on this thing  (Read 6606 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
xbox 360 - Sell me on this thing
« on: November 09, 2009, 11:55:38 AM »

So I picked up an xbox 360 Arcade over the weekend because I got it hella cheap.  Wal-Mart had them for $199 with a free $100 gift card (sale runs through Saturday if you can find one).  I couldn't decide if I really wanted it so I picked it up and will make my decision and either keep it or take it back.

So, here's what I like about it.  I'm sure there are a few games out there that I would like to play that they're never going to have on the Wii (which we also have).  I like that it streams Netflix.

The things I don't like about it: I can name on a couple of fingers the games that I know I want to play that I can get for the 360 but not for Wii.  I concede that I haven't paid that much attention to what's out there so there could be more.  I don't care for Final Fantasy type games, Medal of Honor, sports games and that kind of stuff.  I'm only mildly interested in the GTA series.  Also, I don't like the idea of having to subscribe to xbox Live Gold to use the Netflix features... what is that like $40 a year?  And, I don't like that it doesn't have a hard drive because it sounds like I'll need one and they're really expensive.

So what I don't know about it you couldn't fit in a stadium.  What games are out there?  What is the purpose of xbox Live and what additional features does Gold status bring?  The only thing I ever see anybody say is that it has game demos and trailers... big whoop.  How badly do I need a hard drive.  Some people say that you can't do anything without it, and some say you don't need it at all.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: xbox 360 - Sell me on this thing
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 12:36:08 PM »

Netflix is supposedly coming to the Wii by the end of the year.

XBox is better for adult type games (shooters, war games, GTA types).  It is also in HD, so the games just look great.  If you keep an eye out, you can pick up a 12 month subscription card for $30 on sale. 

A hard drive will greatly speed up your load times.  You also need it if you ever plan to save any games. 

Even Lego Batman looks so much more awesome on a 360... it's a good system, as long as you can avoid the Red Ring of Death.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:20:57 PM »

This should be the Jasper chipset, from what I can tell.  Which is supposed to be RROD tolerant.

Hmm... if Netflix is coming to the wii that would greatly decrease my interest.

The HD part isn't a big selling point for me honestly.  It would be if I had a tuner with HDMI ins/outs (period) or there were more HDMI inputs on the TV itself.  I'm pretty sure I'm maxed out on all of my inputs though I might have another component input.  This came with composite cables though... although I think we still have another HDMI cable floating around somewhere if I could figure a way to hook it up without a big investment.

But you hit on a big thing and that is that I just don't care for shooters or war games, GTA does interest me some.  Most of the games I play are either Mario related or Guitar Hero/Rock Band which are available on the wii.  I'm not sure I care enough about how games look alone to make the $100 investment.  If all other things were equal and we were trying to decide on just one system then yes... but since we have to have a wii anyway because that's where the majority of the games we're into are then video quality alone isn't really going to push me over the edge.

But really, what's the difference between Halo and Mario?  Not much, one's just cartoony and the other isn't.  I would probably be interested in a good racing game, used to love those.  I dunno, I'm never going to have a big budget for games or a ton of spare time so maybe this is a stupid idea anyway.

I want to want it, I'm just having a hard time justifying it.

What games do you and the kids play on yours?

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »

Kwyj tells me there are no games starring Italian Plumbers or their pals.  Also none with Zelda or Link.
I'm out.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »

What games do you and the kids play on yours?

I play NCAA Football 2010 online against some people from a sports related message board.  I also have a couple other sports-y type games that I haven't played much to be honest.  NBA 2K9 I bought, but have only played a dozen or so games.  Top Spin 3 looks great but is HARD to learn.

The kids play all the Lego games to bits.... I have also played that with them at times.  We have Burnout Paradise which they use to wreck cars on occasion...

We got Civilization: Revolution which the kids also enjoy.  Alex has been playing Viva Pinata a lot lately, that's a kidsy Sim Garden type game.

I would say 30-50% of our use of it has been as a Netflix box, or a Media Center to show some home movies that I burned to the main computer's hard disk.  Alex LOVES watching home movies on there.  He can't get enough of 'em.  Alex has downloaded a couple of demo games that he likes playing as well.

Once they get a bit older, we'll be playing a lot more of the shooter type games, I would bet.  But they're still too young for that.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »

Hmm... of the 360 things in our Netflix queue only 60 of them are available to stream.  That's not awesome.  Granted it'll take us the rest of our lives to get through 60 things, much less 360 but ya know.

We seem to add 5 things to our queue for every 1 we watch.  We're kind of dumb.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 06:15:29 PM »

I know nothing about Xbox... but I wanted to add a couple things. 

Kwyjibo, wasn't it you that told me about yesbuy.net?  HDMI cables for dirt cheap.  They sell switches, expanders and stuff, too.  You could probably (I haven't looked) find a good solution to your cable problem there.

The Netflix queue thing is a temporary problem.  Their business model is seriously bent towards the ultimate conversion to streaming.  That 60 items won't take long to be your entire queue.  Whichever gaming system you go with.

Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Hell Toupee

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 07:19:26 PM »

First off, Netflix: PS3 and Wii are getting this by the end of the year... true. However, you have to load a separate disc with the Netflix software on it each time you want to use it, where as the 360 has it built into the firmware (along with Twitter, Facebook and Zune sharing coming later this month with the bi-yearly dashboard update). The PS3 discs are available now and the Wii's is either by the end of the year, or early 2010.

A hard drive, as Butter mentioned, is essential. I have a 120GB drive on mine and I've almost used 3/4th of it already. However, for what you would be doing with it, a 20GB is enough and you should be able to get refurbished ones at local Gamestops. They have a "starter kit" with a refurb 20GB HD, headset, and 3 mo. Live subscription for $60. If you want to test the waters for Live, this would be a way to do that.

I've been a member of XBox Live for 4 years or so, and I find it very worthwhile for $50 a year. Getting new game demos and game upgrades (like songs for Rock Band) have prolonged my interest in keeping it. I played Butter in tennis one night (and got my butt handed to me), but it's fun to do things like that on the spur of the moment. Having the streaming Netflix is a plus, and I use it more than I ever thought I would. When they have 1 vs. 100 running, that's a lot of fun too (massive online trivia with prizes). Overall, I've been very happy, but your mileage may vary.

As for games with plumbers.... no, this wouldn't be the system for you. But if you want games that look great and play well, then you'll find a lot of things on the 360 that are worth playing. Especially if you're looking at older titles under the 'greatest hits' banner.

Games mostly boil down to "what type of gamer are you"? We could list stuff until the cows come home, but without knowing what you like, it's hard to recommend anything.

Hell Toupee

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 07:34:27 PM »

Kwyjibo, wasn't it you that told me about yesbuy.net?  HDMI cables for dirt cheap.  They sell switches, expanders and stuff, too.  You could probably (I haven't looked) find a good solution to your cable problem there.

Monoprice.com usually has them at pretty good prices too. (6ft colored ones near the bottom of the page.)

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »

The XBox 360 does come with composite cables, and you won't honestly see much difference between that and the HDMI cable.  Plus Netflix streams in HD on the 360 (at times, depending on your speed).  I doubt the Wii will do anything in HD.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 11:24:41 AM »

Composite is the old red, white and yellow... which are analog.

Doug

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »

I'd love to own a PS3, but I will never own more than one console.  I figure the Wii will die in several years and then I'll get the console I want.  Plus, I have my PC to play Mature games on.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 01:19:34 PM »

I figure the Wii will die in several years

You shut your mouth
*runs out sobbing at the thought*
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 01:51:32 PM »

I think he means their particular machine, J.  Not the entire platform.  Wii is making Nintendo more money than it's made since 1989.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »

I know. I was making a joke about how sad I'd be if our Wii died, and how we'd have to have a wii funeral and how I'd go into wii mourning.
-Ed Helms
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up