Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2010  (Read 63652 times)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: 50 Movies in 2010
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »

New-to-me movies are bolded.

1. Up In the Air
2. Bottle Rocket

3. The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
I could have used a little bit more exposition, but visually amazing.

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 08:30:04 PM »

1. Die Hard
2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Domestic Disturbance
4. Barton Fink
In case of emergency, breakdance.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 11:48:17 PM »

1. A Boy Named Charlie Brown- "Owning 10% of Charlie Brown is like owning 10% of nothing!"
2. Crazy Love- Documentary about a guy who threw acid on a former girlfriend's face, blinding her.  Pretty interesting.
3. Wristcutters: A Love Story- Quirky little story.  Liked it a lot. 
4. District 9- Liked this a lot.  Pretty different.
5. The Maiden Heist- Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken and William H. Macy.  Very cool quirky indie-type film.  Don't know if this just got a limited release or we just weren't paying attention, but this was really good.
6. Julie & Julia-  LOVED the Julia stuff, didn't care one way or the other about the Julie stuff.  Meryl Streep really can do anything. 
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 07:25:21 AM »

1. Sherlock Holmes - 5
2. Up in the Air - 9

3. Inglorious Basterds - 9

Dy-no-mite.  Great villain, great heroes, great acting.  Tarantino still tends to fall in love with some of the extended exposition scenes, but they all pay off in some kind of way in this one (as opposed to something like "Death Proof").  Maybe could've done a bit without the actual scalping scenes or something, but it's a minor complaint.  Ranks up there with his very best.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 07:44:43 AM »

1. A Boy Named Charlie Brown
2. Crazy Love
3. Wristcutters: A Love Story
4. District 9

5. The Maiden Heist - This could easily have been a mainstream cheese-fest but it turns out to be anything but.  The three principles are fantastic.  Walken does his thing he's quirky and fun but in this caper he's also a pushover to Marcia Gay Harden's character with wonderful results.  Morgan Freeman's character is asexual and just as wimpy as Walken's.  William H. Macy is a cross between R. Lee Ermey and Don Knotts.  This one would be easy to dismiss, don't make that mistake.

Boy is Marcia Gay Harden ever ugly.

6. Julie and Julia - I agree with the wife here, loved the Julia stuff didn't care as much about the Julie stuff.  It was heartwarming and fun and thanks to Meryl Streep I feel like I know Child personally.  Absolutely amazing performance on her part.  Stanley Tucci deserves credit as well, they were both fantastic.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:00:36 PM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 08:14:58 AM »

1. Team America: World Police
2. Mars Attacks
3. Paranormal Activity
This was supposed to be scary? Really?
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 08:42:38 AM »

3. Paris, je t'aime - The final vignette was my favorite for the moment the character has on the bench. For anyone who sometimes travels alone, like me lately, it captured the exact feeling you get.

TOTALLY perfect!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 08:46:14 AM »

1. TAKING OF PELHAM 123 - 01/01/10 -RedBox DVD - 3 out of 5
2. SMOKIN' ACES - 01/02/10 - CABLE - 1 out of 5 
3. SHERLOCK HOLMES - 01/03/10 - AMC Parkway Point - 3 out of 5
4. THE READER - 01/08/10 - DVD from library - 4 out of 5 - "Thanks, Kid."
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 09:12:29 AM »

1. Triplets of Belleville
2. The Road - Loved the movie. That said, I don't think I could bear to watch it again. Way too stressful.
3. Paris, je t'aime - The final vignette was my favorite for the moment the character has on the bench. For anyone who sometimes travels alone, like me lately, it captured the exact feeling you get.

4. Bruno - meh. The funniest thing to me was that I rented it from the library. Your tax dollars at work. I wonder how many people would have a heart attack at that thought.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 11:25:10 AM »

1. A Boy Named Charlie Brown- "Owning 10% of Charlie Brown is like owning 10% of nothing!"
2. Crazy Love- Documentary about a guy who threw acid on a former girlfriend's face, blinding her.  Pretty interesting.
5. The Maiden Heist- Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken and William H. Macy.  Very cool quirky indie-type film.  Don't know if this just got a limited release or we just weren't paying attention, but this was really good.
6. Julie & Julia-  LOVED the Julia stuff, didn't care one way or the other about the Julie stuff.  Meryl Streep really can do anything. 
7. The Rare Breed- Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, and Juliet Mills.  Brian Keith plays what has to be one of the inspirations for Groundskeeper Willie
8. Cover Girl- Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly.  Pretty cute, if predictable.  Phil Silvers and Gene made the movie.  Rita was just the pretty face.
-Ed Helms

Hell Toupee

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2010, 05:14:14 PM »

1. District B13

2. Big Fan
3. Departures - 5/5 - I rarely give movies perfect scores, but I can make an exception for this. This is the Japanese film that won Best Foreign Picture at the Oscars in 2009 and was just released on DVD here. Very rarely do I get emotional over films anymore, but like my favorite film ever, Fearless, this is a movie that works on many levels while striking pretty close to home. Full of charm, contemplation, rituals and goals both achieved and lost, and some modest humor, Departures is a movie that's both a movie about expectations as it is about what matters most in life. Highly symbolic, fascinating, and emotional, it's probably in the top 5 favorite films I've ever seen.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »

2010 so far:

1. Bubba Ho-tep
2. Twilight
3. Twilight: New Moon
4. Saved!

I was super-duper DRUNK when watching both Twilight movies, and they were both total pants. I think the second one was actually slightly worse, but maybe that's because the booze was starting to wear off.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2010, 11:10:01 PM »

1) Quarartine
2) Once

This was really good.  Think of it as a cross between Before Sunrise/Sunset and a moment in the life of a struggling musician, in Ireland.  I would highly recommend it.  And the soundtrack is just as good.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2010, 02:06:57 PM »

7. The Rare Breed- Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, and Juliet Mills.  Brian Keith plays what has to be one of the inspirations for Groundskeeper Willie
8. Cover Girl- Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly.  Pretty cute, if predictable.  Phil Silvers and Gene made the movie.  Rita was just the pretty face.
9. Big Fan- Um...good, but creepy. Sports Obsession taken to the extreme. Patton Oswalt was really good in this. 
-Ed Helms

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »

1. Die Hard
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. Domestic Disturbance
4. Barton Fink

5. 500 Days of Summer