Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2010  (Read 68727 times)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: 50 Movies in 2010
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »

New-to-me movies are bolded.

1. Up In the Air
2. Bottle Rocket
3. The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus  I could have used a little bit more exposition, but visually amazing.
4. The Hangover Funny, but Bradley Cooper's character was annoying. Would have been better in the theater
5. Avatar 3-D version.  As has been stated before, so pretty
6. The House Bunny It didn't suck. And was way more conservative/traditional than I would have expected.
7. Keeping Mum Maggie Smith plays a psychopath, Rowan Atkinson plays a normal person, and Patrick Swayze plays a sleazy golf pro.
8. Tin Man Sy-fy mini series redoing "The Wizard of Oz".  Stick to the original, as Zooey D. is annoying and Alan Cumming is underused.

9. The Talented Mr. Ripley Who knew you could feel sympathy for a psychopath?

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2010, 08:07:36 AM »

1. Sherlock Holmes - 5
2. Up in the Air - 9
3. Inglorious Basterds - 9
4. The U - 5
5. Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny - 4
6. Julie & Julia - 7.5
7. The Informant! - 6
8. Youth in Revolt - 6.5
9. The Business of Being Born - 4
10. Food, Inc. - 9

11. Taking Woodstock - 7.5

I thought it did a good job of conveying the setting.  It also went by fairly quickly.  Wasn't a big fan of Demetri Martin in the main role, though.  Seemed a bit too wooden, even for the wooden character he was playing.  Liev Schrieber's role gives the whole enterprise a +1.

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2010, 10:45:37 AM »

1. Die Hard
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. Domestic Disturbance
4. Barton Fink
5. 500 Days of Summer
6. The Fantastic Mr. Fox
7. A Life Aquatic
8. The Invention of Lying
9. Halloween (2007)
10. Where the Wild Things Are
11. Falling Down
12. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
13. Blood Simple

14. Choke
In case of emergency, breakdance.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2010, 07:02:22 PM »

1. A Boy Named Charlie Brown- "Owning 10% of Charlie Brown is like owning 10% of nothing!"
2. Crazy Love- Documentary about a guy who threw acid on a former girlfriend's face, blinding her.  Pretty interesting.
3. Wristcutters: A Love Story- Quirky little story.  Liked it a lot. 
4. District 9- Liked this a lot.  Pretty different.
5. The Maiden Heist- Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken and William H. Macy.  Very cool quirky indie-type film.  Don't know if this just got a limited release or we just weren't paying attention, but this was really good.
6. Julie & Julia-  LOVED the Julia stuff, didn't care one way or the other about the Julie stuff.  Meryl Streep really can do anything. 
7. The Rare Breed- Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, and Juliet Mills.  Brian Keith plays what has to be one of the inspirations for Groundskeeper Willie
8. Cover Girl- Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly.  Pretty cute, if predictable.  Phil Silvers and Gene made the movie.  Rita was just the pretty face.
9. Big Fan- Um...good, but creepy. Sports Obsession taken to the extreme. Patton Oswalt was really good in this. 
10. Zigfield Follies-  You have let me down Turner Classic Movies!  Let me down!  Somehow hearing that William Powell was "playing" Zigfield made me think that this was a movie about the follies, not a bunch of folly skits....sketches...whatever.  They were okay and all, especially the Astaire/Kelly number, but not what I was in the mood for.  Guess there OTHER movie where William Powell plays Zigfield is the movie about the follies. 
11. Moon.  This was good.  Really well acted, liked the Compy played by Kevin Spacey and a smiley face quite a bit.  Skip the short film that's also on the DVD though.  It's not super short, and not that good.  No idea the director was David Bowie's son til I IMDB'd it later
12. Taking Woodstock- I liked it.  Freaking loved Liev Schriber. 
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2010, 07:04:24 PM »

New-to-me movies are bolded.

1. Up In the Air
2. Bottle Rocket
3. The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus  I could have used a little bit more exposition, but visually amazing.
4. The Hangover Funny, but Bradley Cooper's character was annoying. Would have been better in the theater
5. Avatar 3-D version.  As has been stated before, so pretty
6. The House Bunny It didn't suck. And was way more conservative/traditional than I would have expected.
7. Keeping Mum Maggie Smith plays a psychopath, Rowan Atkinson plays a normal person, and Patrick Swayze plays a sleazy golf pro.
8. Tin Man Sy-fy mini series redoing "The Wizard of Oz".  Stick to the original, as Zooey D. is annoying and Alan Cumming is underused.
9. The Talented Mr. Ripley Who knew you could feel sympathy for a psychopath?

When in Rome Cute, predictable, and snappier than expected.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2010, 12:06:53 AM »

1.  Adoration
2.  The Proposal
3.  My One and Only
4.  African Violet
5.  17 Again
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2010, 08:21:33 AM »

When in Rome Cute, predictable, and snappier than expected.
Good to know. You're the second person I know who has said the same thing. I guess they just had NO confidence in the film or hired the WORST company ever to do their marketing. It seemed SOOOOO desperate. I'll definitely see it this weekend when my mom is in town. Or with Dan...if he wants to come to Atlanta to watch Kristen Bell with her OTHER superfan.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2010, 11:03:13 AM »

1. Nowhere to run.
2. Godzilla (told the kiddo "It's just a cheesy monster movie", she kept asking me "So are the monster's legs made of cheese?")
3. The mask
4. Mrs. Pettigrew lives for a day.
5. The fifth element
6. Kindergarten cop
7. Nanny McPhee
8. The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe
9. Prince Caspian
10. Magnificent Obsession (1935) - Thank you Criterion Collection!
11. 27 Dresses
12. Indiana Jones and Raiders of the Lost Ark
13. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - Willie is one of the most annoying female characters EVER.
14. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

15. Sherlock Holmes - We enjoyed it well enough, the slo-mo bits were a bit annoying. I enjoyed Jude Law much more than Robert Downey Jr. The trailers for Iron Man 2 and Clash of the Titans were pretty freaking sweet though.

16. Indiana Jones and the crystal skull (or whatever the full title is) - Meh, it broke up the robotech marathon.
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #143 on: February 16, 2010, 11:50:19 AM »

I'll definitely see it this weekend when my mom is in town. Or with Dan...if he wants to come to Atlanta to watch Kristen Bell with her OTHER superfan.

HOTTT. You should come to NYC instead!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #144 on: February 16, 2010, 02:45:13 PM »

I'll definitely see it this weekend when my mom is in town. Or with Dan...if he wants to come to Atlanta to watch Kristen Bell with her OTHER superfan.
HOTTT. You should come to NYC instead!
Soooooooooooooooome day! You should go see it on Saturday and we'll compare notes with va_vacious.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #145 on: February 16, 2010, 03:11:33 PM »

*spits up water*

I do love Kristen Bell. You're right about that. But my distaste for awful rom-coms greatly outweighs that. If you told me she got nekkid, then maybe I'd reconsider. But only if someone else paid for the movie ticket.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2010, 03:26:38 PM »

*spits up water*

I do love Kristen Bell. You're right about that. But my distaste for awful rom-coms greatly outweighs that. If you told me she got nekkid, then maybe I'd reconsider. But only if someone else paid for the movie ticket.
Fine. We'll check in with you again once it's on DVD.

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2010, 11:09:50 PM »

KB was the best part of the movie, no doubt! Count me in as superfan #3! I had to watch some Veronica Mars afterwards because I remembered how much I liked that show.

I was even able to overcome my huge issues with how museum jobs are depicted in movies because she's so awesome (but believe me, there will be no food in the galleries!)

Can't wait to discuss, at least with Lando. Dan, if you went to the ATL the tix would be cheaper, you know!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2010, 12:50:54 PM »

In honor of you ladies, I watched these last night:

Part 1

Part 2

And yes, I love her.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2010, 08:34:31 AM »

1. TAKING OF PELHAM 123 - 01/01/10 -RedBox DVD - 3 out of 5
2. SMOKIN' ACES - 01/02/10 - CABLE - 1 out of 5  
3. SHERLOCK HOLMES - 01/03/10 - AMC Parkway Point - 3 out of 5
4. THE READER - 01/08/10 - DVD from library - 4 out of 5
5. UP IN THE AIR - 01/17/10 - AMC Pkwy Pt - 5 out of 5
6. SEVEN POUNDS - 01/24/10 - DVD from library - 2.5 out of 5
7. THE DARJEELING LIMITED - 01/30/10 - Blockbuster DVD - 3 out of 5
8. AN EDUCATION - 01/31/10 - AMC Barrett Commons 24 - 3 out of 5
9. THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX - 01/31/10 - AMC Barrett Commons 24 - 4 out of 5
10. NIGHTS AT RODANTHE - 02/07/10 - DVD from library - 1 out of 5
11. THE BURNING PLAIN - 02/08/10 - DVD - 1 out of 5 - written and directed by the writer of BABEL.
12. WHEN IN ROME - 02/17/10 - AMC Pkwy Point - free movie ticket, popcorn and drink. WOOHOO! - 2 out of 5 - Of course I loved K. Bell in this. She can really do no wrong. I was surprised how much I liked Josh Duhamel. He comes off as douchey whenever I see him but he was completely charming in this movie. OH...and yay for the girl who played Ted's girlfriend on SCRUBS and Bobby Moynihan from SNL. And DON JOHNSON! Angelica Houston!?!?! Come on!!!! However, there was just TOO much going on with everything else. It tried too hard to be quirky and just seemed dumb to me. Too much green screen stuff. Not enough ROME. Too few laughs. I wish they had used this cast to make a different, better movie. Sigh.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 54   Go Up