Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2010  (Read 63634 times)

dirk

• City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2010
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2010, 02:46:25 PM »

You definitely aren't the only one who thinks that.  I definitely prefer Batman Begins to the Dark Knight.  Dark Knight was less a Batman movie and more a Joker movie.  It was good, but it portrayed Batman as just a guy with a bunch of toys.  Gone was the detective work and drive that made the first movie so good, and in it's place was a budget of gadgets. 
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Doug

« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2010, 03:34:45 PM »

I liked Batman Foreve best.  It was nippleicious!

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2010, 10:03:25 PM »

1.  Adoration
2.  The Proposal
3.  My One and Only
4.  African Violet
5.  17 Again
6.  Up
7.  The Hangover
8.  Inglourious Basterds
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2010, 10:07:48 PM »

1) Quarartine
2) Once
3) Don't Say a Word
4) Closer
5) The Killing Room

Another movie with an interesting premise but didn't actually deliver.  

Man, I am off to a slwo start this year.  I may have trouble hitting 50 at this rate.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2010, 11:01:38 PM »

Movies seen in 2010 (new movies in bold):
1. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
2. Wall Street
3. National Treasure

4. Die Another Day
5. She's The One
6. XXX
7. The Girl Next Door
8. Fanboys
9. Garden State
10. The Book of Eli
11. Replacement Killers
12. Stripes
13. Star Wars
14. The Empire Strikes Back
15. The Dark Knight
16. Batman Begins
17. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
18. Billy Madison
19. Return of the Jedi
20. Thank You For Smoking

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #170 on: March 01, 2010, 11:45:30 AM »

1. TAKING OF PELHAM 123 - 01/01/10 -RedBox DVD - 3 out of 5
2. SMOKIN' ACES - 01/02/10 - CABLE - 1 out of 5  
3. SHERLOCK HOLMES - 01/03/10 - AMC Parkway Point - 3 out of 5
4. THE READER - 01/08/10 - DVD from library - 4 out of 5
5. UP IN THE AIR - 01/17/10 - AMC Pkwy Pt - 5 out of 5
6. SEVEN POUNDS - 01/24/10 - DVD from library - 2.5 out of 5
7. THE DARJEELING LIMITED - 01/30/10 - Blockbuster DVD - 3 out of 5
8. AN EDUCATION - 01/31/10 - AMC Barrett Commons 24 - 3 out of 5
9. THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX - 01/31/10 - AMC Barrett Commons 24 - 4 out of 5
10. NIGHTS AT RODANTHE - 02/07/10 - DVD from library - 1 out of 5
11. THE BURNING PLAIN - 02/08/10 - DVD - 1 out of 5 - written and directed by the writer of BABEL.
12. WHEN IN ROME - 02/17/10 - AMC Pkwy Point - free movie ticket, popcorn and drink. WOOHOO! - 2 out of 5
13. CRAZY HEART - 02/20/10 - AMC Pkwy Point with Mom and Amanda - 3.5 out of 5
14. THE SECRET LIFE OF BEES - 02/21/10 - DVD from library - 2.5 out of 5
15. SHUTTER ISLAND - 02/24/10 - AMC Pkwy Point with Victor - 2 out of 5
16. SURROGATES - 02/27/10 - RedBox DVD - 3.5 out of 5 - better than expected
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Hell Toupee

« Reply #171 on: March 01, 2010, 04:24:57 PM »

1. District B13
2. Big Fan
3. Departures
4. Julie & Julia
5. In the Loop
6. Beautiful Losers
7. It Might Get Loud
8. Sin Nombre
9. Bronson
10. Law Abiding Citizen
11. Surrogates

12. The Invention of Lying

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #172 on: March 01, 2010, 05:51:45 PM »

1. Die Hard
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. Domestic Disturbance
4. Barton Fink
5. 500 Days of Summer
6. The Fantastic Mr. Fox
7. A Life Aquatic
8. The Invention of Lying
9. Halloween (2007)
10. Where the Wild Things Are
11. Falling Down
12. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
13. Blood Simple
14. Choke
15. Nerdcore Rising
16. Crazy Heart

17. Black Dynamite - not solidly funny, but better than expected.
In case of emergency, breakdance.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »

1. A Boy Named Charlie Brown- "Owning 10% of Charlie Brown is like owning 10% of nothing!"
2. Crazy Love- Documentary about a guy who threw acid on a former girlfriend's face, blinding her.  Pretty interesting.
3. Wristcutters: A Love Story- Quirky little story.  Liked it a lot. 
4. District 9- Liked this a lot.  Pretty different.
5. The Maiden Heist- Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken and William H. Macy.  Very cool quirky indie-type film.  Don't know if this just got a limited release or we just weren't paying attention, but this was really good.
6. Julie & Julia-  LOVED the Julia stuff, didn't care one way or the other about the Julie stuff.  Meryl Streep really can do anything. 
7. The Rare Breed- Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, and Juliet Mills.  Brian Keith plays what has to be one of the inspirations for Groundskeeper Willie
8. Cover Girl- Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly.  Pretty cute, if predictable.  Phil Silvers and Gene made the movie.  Rita was just the pretty face.
9. Big Fan- Um...good, but creepy. Sports Obsession taken to the extreme. Patton Oswalt was really good in this. 
10. Zigfield Follies-  You have let me down Turner Classic Movies!  Let me down!  Somehow hearing that William Powell was "playing" Zigfield made me think that this was a movie about the follies, not a bunch of folly skits....sketches...whatever.  They were okay and all, especially the Astaire/Kelly number, but not what I was in the mood for.  Guess there OTHER movie where William Powell plays Zigfield is the movie about the follies. 
11. Moon.  This was good.  Really well acted, liked the Compy played by Kevin Spacey and a smiley face quite a bit.  Skip the short film that's also on the DVD though.  It's not super short, and not that good.  No idea the director was David Bowie's son til I IMDB'd it later
12. Taking Woodstock- I liked it.  Freaking loved Liev Schriber. 
13. Roman Holiday- TCM on Demand.  Very good.  Kept wondering who the friend was.  Looked him up, he's the guy from Green Acres!  Gregory Peck was awesome.  Audrey Hepburn was awesome.  Pretty much made me want to run away and play around for a whole day.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2010, 10:04:01 PM »

Films watched for the first time in Bold  

1 Sherlock Holmes
2 Team America: World Police
3 Mars Attacks!
4 Paranormal Activity
5 In the Loop
6 The Invention of Lying
7 The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
8 Moon
9 Extract
10 10
11 Michael Jackson's This Is It
12 Fletch
13 Surrogates
14 Midnight Cowboy
15 I'm Gonna Git You Sucka!
16 Manufactured Landscapes
17 St Trinians
18 The Hurt Locker
19 The Damned United
20 The Grapes of Wrath
adding
21 Garbage! The Revolution Begins At Home
Fascinating and more enjoyable than expected Canadian documentary about the 'evils' of trash and what we can all do to try and reduce the load
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2010, 08:18:31 AM »

13. Roman Holiday- TCM on Demand.  Very good.  Kept wondering who the friend was.  Looked him up, he's the guy from Green Acres!  Gregory Peck was awesome.  Audrey Hepburn was awesome.  Pretty much made me want to run away and play around for a whole day.
Your first time seeing it? OH MAN! What a treat!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2010, 08:19:43 AM »

1. Team America: World Police
2. Mars Attacks
3. Paranormal Activity
4. In the Loop
5. The Invention of Lying
6. Moon
7. Michael Jackson's This Is It
8. Fletch
9. I'm Gonna Git You Sucka
10. Manufactured Landscapes
11. St. Trinian's School for Bad Girls
12. The Hurt Locker
13. The Grapes of Wrath
14. Garbage: The Revolution Begins at Home
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »

adding
21 Garbage! The Revolution Begins At Home
Fascinating and more enjoyable than expected Canadian documentary about the 'evils' of trash and what we can all do to try and reduce the load

One of my favorite parts of grad school was learning about the trash issues that NYC deals with, and to a lesser degree the trash industry in general. Some of the fun facts that I remember are:

NYC sends most (all?) of its trash to Pennsylvania and Virginia. Crazy, right? They are willing to pay for the trucking on a daily basis of hauling garbage all the way to Virginia. They used to have a landfill in Staten Island called Fresh Kills (I think?) but it closed in 2001. Part of the problem was that Staten Island residents were complaining about why they had to get saddled with the rest of the city's trash. Ugh. The problem was that they weren't thinking regionally enough. At the time you could have said that NYC is able to dispose of their own trash, which was fantastic. Now the city wastes soooo many resources disposing of the trash.

We did a study on the company Waste Management and found that they were getting fined something like (I forget the numbers, but just pretend these are right) $100 million each year for violating all these environmental and safety laws. So why wasn't this a big deal? Because by doing so they were able to bring in profits of about $20 billion. Ummmmm, WHAT? Our conclusion was essentially: our society's penalties aren't severe enough. If a company can make 200 times the cost of the penalty by breaking the rules, then why would they work to not violate whatever the law is? They don't, and thus we keep ruining our environment.

Does that make sense?

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2010, 02:04:05 PM »

Does that make sense?

Yep. I was horrified by the dump that was positioned right behind an established residential neighbourhood in Michigan somewhere - where it was accepting some of Canada's waste. Quite apart from the eyesore/smell, residents were having up to 140 dump trucks tool up and down their streets every single day. You just KNOW some fucking asshole politician's palms were greased and had their cocks sucked to 'decide' on this placement and location with zero regard for the people who lived in the district. Doesn't seem to be any genuine regard for environmental impact in the US?
Opulence. I has it.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2010, 09:40:14 AM »

1. A Boy Named Charlie Brown- "Owning 10% of Charlie Brown is like owning 10% of nothing!"
2. Crazy Love- Documentary about a guy who threw acid on a former girlfriend's face, blinding her.  Pretty interesting.
3. Wristcutters: A Love Story- Quirky little story.  Liked it a lot.  
4. District 9- Liked this a lot.  Pretty different.
5. The Maiden Heist- Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken and William H. Macy.  Very cool quirky indie-type film.  Don't know if this just got a limited release or we just weren't paying attention, but this was really good.
6. Julie & Julia-  LOVED the Julia stuff, didn't care one way or the other about the Julie stuff.  Meryl Streep really can do anything.  
7. The Rare Breed- Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, and Juliet Mills.  Brian Keith plays what has to be one of the inspirations for Groundskeeper Willie
8. Cover Girl- Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly.  Pretty cute, if predictable.  Phil Silvers and Gene made the movie.  Rita was just the pretty face.
9. Big Fan- Um...good, but creepy. Sports Obsession taken to the extreme. Patton Oswalt was really good in this.  
10. Zigfield Follies-  You have let me down Turner Classic Movies!  Let me down!  Somehow hearing that William Powell was "playing" Zigfield made me think that this was a movie about the follies, not a bunch of folly skits....sketches...whatever.  They were okay and all, especially the Astaire/Kelly number, but not what I was in the mood for.  Guess there OTHER movie where William Powell plays Zigfield is the movie about the follies.  
11. Moon.  This was good.  Really well acted, liked the Compy played by Kevin Spacey and a smiley face quite a bit.  Skip the short film that's also on the DVD though.  It's not super short, and not that good.  No idea the director was David Bowie's son til I IMDB'd it later
12. Taking Woodstock- I liked it.  Freaking loved Liev Schriber.  
13. Roman Holiday- TCM on Demand.  Very good.  Kept wondering who the friend was.  Looked him up, he's the guy from Green Acres!  Gregory Peck was awesome.  Audrey Hepburn was awesome.  Pretty much made me want to run away and play around for a whole day.
14. Pinky- TCM on Demand again.  Part of Black History Month.  Man, racism sucks.

And yes Clando, this was my first time seeing Roman Holiday, and yeah, it really was a treat.  I know I said it a lot last year, but these old movies are just so much better than the bulk of stuff they make now.  Especially the Romantic Comedy stuff.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:08:21 PM by Juliana »
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 54   Go Up