Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2010  (Read 63668 times)

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
Re: 50 Movies in 2010
« Reply #480 on: July 30, 2010, 06:24:35 PM »

1.  Adoration
2.  The Proposal
3.  My One and Only
4.  African Violet
5.  17 Again
6.  Up
7.  The Hangover
8.  Inglourious Basterds
9.  Revolutionary Road
10.  Julie and Julia
11.  The Hurt Locker
12.  Taking of Pelham 123
13.  (500) Days of Summer
14.  Blind Side
15.  Up in the Air
16.  Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
17.  It Might Get Loud
18.  Valentine's Day
19.  Couples Retreat
20.  Ugly Truth
21.  Eclipse
22.  Shutter Island
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #481 on: July 31, 2010, 09:40:35 AM »

Two hours and twenty five minutes of excruciating boredom followed by five minutes of WTF?

If you hated it that much, how did you make it past the first half hour?

Here's the thing for me: 2001 is supposed to be one of the legendary movies out there. I know it's incredibly slow and boring, but for film history purposes, I do hope I get to watch it someday. So that's why I'd watch it - to see what the fuss is all about. I don't know how it ends or any of the details of it. So it should be at least interesting in that regard.

I just like watching stuff that everyone talks about as something historical or important.

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #482 on: July 31, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »

1. Die Hard
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. Domestic Disturbance
4. Barton Fink
5. 500 Days of Summer
6. The Fantastic Mr. Fox
7. A Life Aquatic
8. The Invention of Lying
9. Halloween (2007)
10. Where the Wild Things Are
11. Falling Down
12. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
13. Blood Simple
14. Choke
15. Nerdcore Rising
16. Crazy Heart
17. Black Dynamite - not solidly funny, but better than expected.
18. The Negotiator
19. Die Hard with a Vengeance
20. Bigger, Faster, Stronger: The Side Effects of Being American
21. Men Who Stare at Goats
22.  Big Fan
23. Behind the Mask
24.  The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3
25.  Dark Knight
26. Up in the Air
27. Baby Mama
28. Step Brothers
29.  The Blind Side
30.  Fist of Legend
31. Werewolf
32. Slammin' Salmon
33. Big Trouble in Little China
34.  The Crazies
35. Slither 
36.  Memento
37.  Club Dread

38.  Operation: End Game

Decided to watch this last night, even though we'd never heard of it.  I wish the rest of the movie was as funny as the first 25 minutes, but it was still pretty awesome.  Rob Corddry's character was fucking awesome.
In case of emergency, breakdance.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #483 on: July 31, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »

Here's the thing for me: 2001 is supposed to be one of the legendary movies out there. I know it's incredibly slow and boring, but for film history purposes, I do hope I get to watch it someday. So that's why I'd watch it - to see what the fuss is all about. I don't know how it ends or any of the details of it. So it should be at least interesting in that regard.

I just like watching stuff that everyone talks about as something historical or important.

It's kind of like "Nothing happens" though.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #484 on: July 31, 2010, 03:26:38 PM »

1. Bubba Ho-tep
2. Twilight
3. Twilight: New Moon
4. Saved!
5. Moon
6. Whip It!
7. The Holiday
8. Big Nothing
9. Alice in Wonderland (in 3D)
10. Adventureland
11. Twilight: New Moon - rifftracked
12. Raiders of the Lost Ark
13. The Hangover
14. Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe
15. Twilight: New Moon - rifftracked
16. Mary and Max

17.  The Boondock Saints

I have a group of friends who LOVE this movie with a capital <3.  So I watched it and it was okay, but definitely didn't get an omg best movie ever vibe from it. I can understand the cult following, though. I guess.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #485 on: July 31, 2010, 06:44:52 PM »

Whilst I will not argue the point that 2001 could be considered 'boring' in terms of its story, I do think it needs to be viewed with a different mental attitude than many other films.

You first have to understand that the movie was made in 1968, before man had even landed on the moon, and Stanley Kubrick (probably the Christopher Nolan of his time) was using a short story by Arthur C Clarke's (written in the fifties) to imagine what the future would hold by way of both technology and space travel.

Kubrick wanted to create images that nobody had ever seen before at the movies and he pretty much nailed it, the entire movie - start to finish - is, you must agree, breathtakingly beautiful. Yes, the emphasis is perhaps on 'weird' (nothing moreso than the final 5 minutes) but the story and set design did predict how computers would one day control our lives as well as what kinds of machinery and equipment would be involved in space travel. Indeed it is often suggested that much of NASA's 70's & 80'S design work owed a lot to Kubrick's imagination.

42 years later I personally don't think there's much that feels dated about the movie - an achievement in itself - and again remember that there's no computer generated effects, the space scenes are packed with no more than models shot with clever lighting and editing.

The movie does need attention given to it - the story arc unveils slowly - and I can only say to Mr & Mrs Kwyj that it does benefit immensely from being seen as Kubrick intended, on a big screen. If there's ever that opportunity please, please, please put aside your prejudice and go and see it again. Like "Inception" you need to be 'immersed' in its beauty and cleverness, absent the distractions you might have in your living room. I saw it once in my youth and it had such an incredible effect on me, and I remember more about it than a couple of hundred other so called 'sci-fi' movies I might have seen since.

Kubrick didn't get it right all the time ("Eyes Wide Shut" the glaring example of getting it wrong) but he certainly got it right with "2001". If the documentary called "Stanley Kubrick's Boxes" airs in your area watch that for the merest hint of how meticulous he was at planning his movies.

I will say that everyone needs to avoid the inevitable sequel "2010". The only difference between it and a bucket of shit is the bucket.
Opulence. I has it.

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #486 on: July 31, 2010, 10:20:56 PM »

1. Die Hard
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. Domestic Disturbance
4. Barton Fink
5. 500 Days of Summer
6. The Fantastic Mr. Fox
7. A Life Aquatic
8. The Invention of Lying
9. Halloween (2007)
10. Where the Wild Things Are
11. Falling Down
12. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
13. Blood Simple
14. Choke
15. Nerdcore Rising
16. Crazy Heart
17. Black Dynamite - not solidly funny, but better than expected.
18. The Negotiator
19. Die Hard with a Vengeance
20. Bigger, Faster, Stronger: The Side Effects of Being American
21. Men Who Stare at Goats
22.  Big Fan
23. Behind the Mask
24.  The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3
25.  Dark Knight
26. Up in the Air
27. Baby Mama
28. Step Brothers
29.  The Blind Side
30.  Fist of Legend
31. Werewolf
32. Slammin' Salmon
33. Big Trouble in Little China
34.  The Crazies
35. Slither 
36.  Memento
37.  Club Dread
38.  Operation: End Game

39.  The Losers - watched this a few weeks ago and forgot to list it.

40. Inception - Thank fuck this awesome movie balanced out the super sub-par dinner on our date night.  Pretty fantastic.  Almost lost me at a few parts, but it wasn't one of those movies that left me pissed because I didn't "get it."
In case of emergency, breakdance.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #487 on: August 01, 2010, 09:03:31 AM »

It's kind of like "Nothing happens" though.

I am really not trying to be argumentative (honestly), but did you just not follow what was going on at all, or are you being intentionally antagonistic because you disliked it so much?

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #488 on: August 01, 2010, 09:20:29 AM »

...Okay, something happens, but it's surrounded by an hour and a half of nothing?

Yes, like Steve said, I thought that it was shot beautifully, and I can see how it broke grounds from a cinematography standpoint back in the day.  
I don't know, I really just didn't like it at all.  I guess maybe it was a pacing thing for me.  That plus all the hype.  I guess maybe because everybody builds it up so much I expected more.  I'm going to have a hard time with Inception at this point too for the same reasons.  Everybody I know wants to marry the movie, so going in without sky-high expectations is going to be very difficult.  That's why I hate The Lion King ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:03:05 AM by Juliana »
-Ed Helms

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #489 on: August 01, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »

1. Bubba Ho-tep
2. Twilight
3. Twilight: New Moon
4. Saved!
5. Moon
6. Whip It!
7. The Holiday
8. Big Nothing
9. Alice in Wonderland (in 3D)
10. Adventureland
11. Twilight: New Moon - rifftracked
12. Raiders of the Lost Ark
13. The Hangover
14. Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe
15. Twilight: New Moon - rifftracked
16. Mary and Max
17.  The Boondock Saints

18. Inception - loved it. So many layers, so cerebral. Very much looking forward to watching it again very soon!
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #490 on: August 02, 2010, 07:46:22 AM »

I am really not trying to be argumentative (honestly), but did you just not follow what was going on at all, or are you being intentionally antagonistic because you disliked it so much?

I followed it, it was just so unbelievably boring.  And those ten minute stretches of an alarm beeping or Dave breathing made me want to turn it off.  Follow that up with that ending (you could not possibly defend that ending) and there you have it.

The cinematography was great, the story arc about Hal was pretty great, the cast was good, and the technical details were awesome.  That shit with the monoliths, all the monotony and that ending were terrible.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #491 on: August 02, 2010, 07:50:41 AM »

I followed it, it was just so unbelievably boring.  And those ten minute stretches of an alarm beeping or Dave breathing made me want to turn it off.  Follow that up with that ending (you could not possibly defend that ending) and there you have it.

The cinematography was great, the story arc about Hal was pretty great, the cast was good, and the technical details were awesome.  That shit with the monoliths, all the monotony and that ending were terrible.

Fair enough.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #492 on: August 02, 2010, 07:55:04 AM »

1. Sherlock Holmes - 5
2. Up in the Air - 9
3. Inglorious Basterds - 9
4. The U - 5
5. Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny - 4
6. Julie & Julia - 7.5
7. The Informant! - 6
8. Youth in Revolt - 6.5
9. The Business of Being Born - 4
10. Food, Inc. - 9
11. Taking Woodstock - 7.5
12. Terminator Salvation - 4.5
13. Moon - 9
14. Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks - 8
15. Diary of a Wimpy Kid - 5
16. How to Train your Dragon (in 3D!!!!) - 7
17. The Hurt Locker - 8
18. Gigantic - 4
19. Paper Heart - 3
20. 2001: A Space Odyssey - 12
21. Date Night - 8
22. Precious - 9
23. Oceans - 6
24. The Blind Side - 7
25. Airplane! - 10
26. Alice in Wonderland (2010) - 4
27. Chaplin - 8
28. Where the Wild Things Are - 3
29. Raising Arizona - 10
30. Gentlemen Broncos - 5
31. Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - 6
32. Tooth Fairy - 2.5
33. Serpico - 8.5
34. Marmaduke - 3
35. Shrek Forever After - 6
36. The Damned United - 8
37. Toy Story 3 - 7
38. The Road - 7
39. A Serious Man - 7
40. Shutter Island - 9
41. Ink - 3
42. The Men Who Stare at Goats - 6
43. Despicable Me - 6
44. Inception - 10
45. Hostel - 5

46. Donnie Darko - 8

Been meaning to watch this for a while.  Since the kids are out of town right now and Andrea was nursing it up yesterday, it gave me a chance to finally put this on.  I still don't know what the fuck happened at the end, but I was pretty riveted by it most of the time.  I don't know if it was because Ethan just went on medication and this movie kinda scares the shit out of me in that respect, or because of the performance of Jake Gyllenhaal, who was quite good in this.  But either way, it was a pretty good way to spend 2 hours.  Futuristic scary looking bunnies and apparently conjured airplane jet engines included.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #493 on: August 02, 2010, 07:58:06 AM »

I still don't know what the fuck happened at the end, but I was pretty riveted by it most of the time. 

Yup, that pretty well sums it up.  Coincidentally this is also how I felt about American Psycho... still no clue what happened there at the end.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #494 on: August 02, 2010, 12:02:52 PM »

1. A Boy Named Charlie Brown- "Owning 10% of Charlie Brown is like owning 10% of nothing!"
2. Crazy Love- Documentary about a guy who threw acid on a former girlfriend's face, blinding her.  Pretty interesting.
3. Wristcutters: A Love Story- Quirky little story.  Liked it a lot.  
4. District 9- Liked this a lot.  Pretty different.
5. The Maiden Heist- Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken and William H. Macy.  Very cool quirky indie-type film.  Don't know if this just got a limited release or we just weren't paying attention, but this was really good.
6. Julie & Julia-  LOVED the Julia stuff, didn't care one way or the other about the Julie stuff.  Meryl Streep really can do anything.  
7. The Rare Breed- Jimmy Stewart, Maureen O'Hara, and Juliet Mills.  Brian Keith plays what has to be one of the inspirations for Groundskeeper Willie
8. Cover Girl- Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly.  Pretty cute, if predictable.  Phil Silvers and Gene made the movie.  Rita was just the pretty face.
9. Big Fan- Um...good, but creepy. Sports Obsession taken to the extreme. Patton Oswalt was really good in this.  
10. Zigfield Follies-  You have let me down Turner Classic Movies!  Let me down!  Somehow hearing that William Powell was "playing" Zigfield made me think that this was a movie about the follies, not a bunch of folly skits....sketches...whatever.  They were okay and all, especially the Astaire/Kelly number, but not what I was in the mood for.  Guess there OTHER movie where William Powell plays Zigfield is the movie about the follies.  
11. Moon.  This was good.  Really well acted, liked the Compy played by Kevin Spacey and a smiley face quite a bit.  Skip the short film that's also on the DVD though.  It's not super short, and not that good.  No idea the director was David Bowie's son til I IMDB'd it later
12. Taking Woodstock- I liked it.  Freaking loved Liev Schriber.  
13. Roman Holiday- TCM on Demand.  Very good.  Kept wondering who the friend was.  Looked him up, he's the guy from Green Acres!  Gregory Peck was awesome.  Audrey Hepburn was awesome.  Pretty much made me want to run away and play around for a whole day.
14. Pinky- TCM on Demand again.  Part of Black History Month.  Man, racism sucks.
15. Pop Star on Ice- Johnny Weir's documentary.  Really interesting.  I guess Sundance aired it as a precursor to his reality show.  I think that Johnny really got judged at the olympics based on his off-ice antics as equally as his performance. It's funny, at one point Johnny's mom is comparing Johnny and Lysacek and she's talking about how Johnny is more artist, and Lysacek is more athlete, and that's the same complaint that Plushenko had with the Olympics, that he was the athlete and Lysacek was the artist.  
16. Full Grown Men-  We watched it for Judah Friedlander and Amy Sedaris.  Amy was in it for approximately 3 minutes, and Judah couldn't save it from the annoying twit of a lead.  I didn't like this at all.
17. 13 Going on 30.  Caught this on the FX HD channel while I was feeding and playing with the baby.  Wasn't awful, wasn't great.  It was good for something do have on while doing other things.
18. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.  Really cute, liked Steve the monkey.
19. It's Always Fair Weather- Gene Kelly, Cyd Charisse.  Really good.  Kelly doing a number on rollerskates was amazing.
20. Parnell- Clark Gable, Myrna Loy.  Not sure if this was a true story or not, but it was about an Irish Politian (Gable) who falls for a rival's wife (Loy).  It's really bad because he's like the only Irishman who would convince England to give them Home Rule...or something.  Not a great movie, not a terrible movie.  AWFUL accents...for the parts where they tried to do accents.  Gable and Loy do have a fair amount of chemistry though.  
21. Lars & the Real Girl- Cute, better and less creepy than I thought it was going to be
22. FairyTale: A True Story.  Only stoped on this because I saw Bill Nighy.  I don't know why I stopped, he's been in more bad movies than good
23. Inglourious Basterds. Liked it a lot.  Like Kwyj said, it wasn't nearly as gory or violent as I thought it was going to be.  I guess they marketed it that way so all the dudes would go see it?  Only had to close my eyes for 2 parts.
24. Will Ferrell You're Welcome America: A Final Night with George W. Bush. The part with the nicknames was my favorite
25. The Pirate- Another Gene Kelly & Judy Garland pic.  Judy wasn't really in this as much.  Apparently it was one of her more drugged up/sickly periods.  The last of Judy's movies that Minnelli directed.  Kelly was awesome. SUPER handsome and all swarthy and stuff
26. Quality Street. RomCom from 1937 starring Katharine Hepburn.  It was okay.  
27. Royal Wedding- Fred Astaire's "dancing on the celing" movie.  Good for the dancing, story was okay.
28. A Place in the Sun.  Sad and so intense it was hard to watch.  That said though, it was really good
29. Blue Hawaii.  Elvis.  Loved it.  Too funny that Angela Landsbury was his mom in this.  I looked it up later and she's only 10 years older than he was.
30. Poseiden Adventure- The original.  Loved this when I was a kid, still liked it today.  
31. Ratatouille- Not my favorite Pixar, but even that is better than soooo much else that's out there
32. the Goods Live Hard Sell Hard- Did they make this movie like 5 years ago, shelve it because it wasn't very good, then release it when The Hangover came out?  Ken Jeong looks a lot different in this than he does on Community
33. Idiocracy- Awesome
34. Summer Stock- Gene Kelly & Judy Garland again.  *love*
35. Jewel Robbery- Old movie with William Powell.  Thought it was really funny they kept referring to the robber as this "dashing young man."  I think William Powell was probably one of those people who never looked young.
36. Sherlock Homes- Liked it way more than I thought I would.
37. Meet Me in St. Louis- Not as much music in this musical as I'm used to. The Halloween night scenes were shot so cool.
38. The Awful Truth- Cary Grant and  Irene Dunn want a divorce...or do they?
39. Shutter Island- Really dug it. 
40. The Cooler- LOVED this.  William H Macy is so awesome.  Cannot believe that casinos really used/use this "cooler" method.  But I can also totally see it too.  Weird.
41. The Men Who Stare at Goats- I liked this a lot.  Slow pacing, but in a good way.  They really took the time to build it all up nicely.  Loved the line at the beginning that said something to the effect of "more of this story than you can believe is true"
42. The Informant!  Again, just a really good flick.  Perfectly played by Matt Damon and Joel McHale and Scott Bakula. 
43. Iron Giant- Can't believe I had never seen this.  Really good heartfelt with actually animation.  I sometimes forget how good animation looks.  Makes me want to break out Disney's Robin Hood or Fox and the Hound or The Secret of NIMH or something.
44. 2001: A Space Odyssey.  *in best Men on Film voice* "hated it"
45. Life with Father- Like Kwij said, William Powell and a crazy beautiful 14 year old Elizabeth Taylor in a supporting role.  I had seen this when I was younger and always loved it.  Held up well in my estimation.  Just a really good wholesome sweet little movie.
46. Oklahoma.  Weird seeing Shirley Jones with any hairstyle other than her super mod 70s shag/bob thing. 
47. Crossroads- William Powell Heddy Lamar and Basil Rathbone (BR Day on TCM). Rathbone is blackmailing Powell for something he did in his past.  Good stuff.
48. The Last Days of Pompeii, Basil Rathbone day on TCM.
-Ed Helms
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54   Go Up