Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Books in 2010  (Read 32471 times)

Juliana

• City Elder
Re: 50 Books in 2010
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »

1. Under the Dome- Stephen King. REALLY liked this one.  Super fast paced.  I hated to put it down
2. The Templar Legacy- Steve Berry.  This guy is riding the Dan Brown wave.  Good "at work between calls" kind of read
3. Death of a Blue Movie Star- One of Jeffrey Deaver's non Lincoln Rhyme books.  I liked this a lot.  Good for a quick "at work" read
4. Utterly Monkey- Nick Laird. It was okay.  Not awesome, not bad. Another good "at work" book
5. Crisis- Robin Cook.  Good Medical thriller meets sort of legal thriller thrown in.  I like Robin Cook a lot though.  And I like legal thrillers....so, yeah, there you go. This was very fast paced, which was nice.  Almost didn't want to put it down between breaks at work.
6. Carnage- Andrew Billings.  Crazy messed up.  Just weird.
7. Candles Burning- Tabitha King and Michael McDowell.  Really dug this. Really weird interesting story, interesting main characters.
8. Devil's Claw- J.A. Jance. I liked this one.  Nicely paced.  I think it's from the middle of a series of books about this particular sheriff, and I think I've read another in the series. 
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

kcneon

• City Elder
    • Resurrection Neon
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2010, 12:21:13 PM »

Sounds like an awesome read, CR!

1. Rat Scabies and the Holy Grail - Christopher Dawes (just had to re-read to kick off 2010!)
2. We'll Be Here for the Rest of Our Lives - Paul Shaffer (audio book)
3. State of the Union - Brad Thor
4. The Last Jihad - Joel Rosenberg
[/quote]

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2010, 04:40:55 PM »

1 • Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol
2 • Dave Thompson - London's Burning - True Adventues on the Front Lines of Punk 1976-1977
3 • David Gilmour - The Film Club - A Memoir
4 • Arlo Flinn - Thank You for not Smoking
adding
5 • John Steinbeck - The Grapes of Wrath
choose your review.....
I was gifted this book for my birthday by a close friend. I thought I had read it before but, once I started it, I soon came to realise I had not. Its subject matter is grim - a family trying desperately to survive the Great Depression - but the images and narrative Steinbeck offers us are often - and obliquely - positive. On the surface it's about how people manage to overcome adversity to survive. It's underlying tale though is one of neglect, greed and corruption by US government and big business (long before the word 'corporate' was invented) and how the financial institutions we came to rely on cannot be trusted one little bit. It's astonishing to consider that, 80 years later, nothing has really changed... only the levels of expectation. The 'little man' (represented in the novel by the Joad family) remains persecuted and down-trodden (and still without basic rights like healthcare and social support) whilst the wealthy take advantage wherever and whenever they can, everything continuing to highlight the failure of the U.S. capitalist system. I now realise that this book is a classic in every sense of the word. I plan to watch the John Ford-directed movie adaptation (starring Henry Fonda) - which I have seen before, but years and years ago - to see how it shapes up against this literary epic.
...OR...
Culminates in a lucky bloke getting offered some titty milk
Opulence. I has it.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2010, 05:04:19 PM »

1. R.J. Ellory - A Simple Act of Violence
2. James Lee Burke - Rain Gods
3. Michael Harvey - The Chicago Way
4. Alison Rattle & Allison Vale - Remember The Alamo?
5. Jo Nesbψ - The Redbreast
6. Kahlil Gibran - The Prophet
7. Jo Nesbψ - The Redeemer

8. China Mieville - The City and the City

Odd. A little bit Aldous Huxley, a little bit George Orwell, a little bit Simenon. Very clever idea that I really enjoyed.

9. Jo Nesbψ - The Devil's Star

Fucking Brilliant

10. Stieg Larsson - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Finally getting around to reading this trilogy due to the suggestions made by a couple of my mates in Germany. I'm glad I listen to those buggers once in awhile, because this and the next one are absolutely top class.

11. Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Played with Fire

Same
Am Meer

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 12:39:14 AM »

1.  Perfect Fifths--Megan McCafferty
2.  Sunset Boulevard--Zoey Dean
3.  Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan--Morgan Robertson
4.  Beach Trip--Cathy Holton
5.  Ruined--Paula Morris
6.  Hold Still--Nina LaCour
7.  Swimming--Nicola Keegan
8.  Click Here (to find out how I survived seventh grade)--Denise Vega
9.  Museum of Mary Child--Cassandra Golds
10.  Second Skin--Jessica Wollman
11.  Penny Pinchers Club--Sarah Strohmeyer
12.  They Never Came Back--Caroline B. Cooney
13.  Punkzilla--Adam Rapp
14.  Hollywood is Like High School with Money--Zoey Dean
15.  Mare's War--Tanita S. Davis
16.  Posh and Prejudice--Grace Dent
17.  Ash--Malinda Lo
18.  Hunger Games--Suzanne Collins
19.  I'm So Happy For You--Lucinda Rosenfeld
20.  The Everafter--Amy Huntley
21.  When You Reach Me--Rebecca Stead
22.  Age 14--Geert Spillebeen
23.  Surviving the Angel of Death: the story of a Mengele twin in Auschwitz--Eva Kor
24.  I, Alex Cross--James Patterson
25.  Gone to the Dogs--Mary Guterson
26.  The Monstrumologist--Rick Yancey
27.  Flash Burnout--L.K. Madigan
28.  Lonely Hearts Club--Elizabeth Eulberg
29.  Spies of Mississippi: the true story of the spy network that tried to destroy the civil rights movement--Rick Bowers
30.  By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead--Julie Anne Peters
31.  Simeon's Story: an eyewitness account of the kidnapping of Emmett Till--Simeon Wright
32.  I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It--Adam Selzer
33.  Beautiful Creatures--Kami Garcia
34.  Killing Bridezilla--Laura Levine
35.  Flightsend--Linda Newbery
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »

1. Under the Dome- Stephen King. REALLY liked this one.  Super fast paced.  I hated to put it down
2. The Templar Legacy- Steve Berry.  This guy is riding the Dan Brown wave.  Good "at work between calls" kind of read
3. Death of a Blue Movie Star- One of Jeffrey Deaver's non Lincoln Rhyme books.  I liked this a lot.  Good for a quick "at work" read
4. Utterly Monkey- Nick Laird. It was okay.  Not awesome, not bad. Another good "at work" book
5. Crisis- Robin Cook.  Good Medical thriller meets sort of legal thriller thrown in.  I like Robin Cook a lot though.  And I like legal thrillers....so, yeah, there you go. This was very fast paced, which was nice.  Almost didn't want to put it down between breaks at work.
7. Candles Burning- Tabitha King and Michael McDowell.  Really dug this. Really weird interesting story, interesting main characters.
8. Devil's Claw- J.A. Jance. I liked this one.  Nicely paced.  I think it's from the middle of a series of books about this particular sheriff, and I think I've read another in the series. 
The Dandelion Killer- Wanda Luttrell.  Thought from the title and the creepy dandelion dripping blood on the cover that this would be a really cool thriller book.  Yeah, I missed the tiny phrase "Fiction for the mind AND soul" on the back cover.  It was a churchy thriller.  Like the bad guys **spoiler alert** were these new age people.  No, seriously.  AAAAAAAHHHHHH, Transcendential Meditation!!!!!  Crystals!!!!  Holistic health!!!! 
-Ed Helms

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »

2 • Dave Thompson - London's Burning - True Adventues on the Front Lines of Punk 1976-1977
adding
6 • John Heilemann & Mark Halperin - Game Change
Inside skinny on the build-up to the 2008 Presidential election from two of the country's leading political reporters. Fascinating read from start to finish. Obama comes across as quietly confident, almost arrogantly cocky, and McCain displays himself as a grumpy old man... which is pretty much what he was. Hillary seems drawn as an uncertain - but genuinely patriotic - woman whose simply unlucky to be married to an ex-President, whilst Palin is shown to be a somewhat self-centered, mentally unstable and uneducated diva far better suited to lording it over the local PTA rather than helping to - in any way - govern the USA. This book was as enjoyable as I imagined it might be and is recommended reading.
Opulence. I has it.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 05:26:59 PM »

The Dandelion Killer- Wanda Luttrell.  Thought from the title and the creepy dandelion dripping blood on the cover that this would be a really cool thriller book.  Yeah, I missed the tiny phrase "Fiction for the mind AND soul" on the back cover.  It was a churchy thriller.  Like the bad guys **spoiler alert** were these new age people.  No, seriously.  AAAAAAAHHHHHH, Transcendential Meditation!!!!!  Crystals!!!!  Holistic health!!!! 
9. Heartbreaker- Julie Garwood.  Really good thriller.  Really fast paced, quick read.  I finished it early, so now I don't have a book to read for today.  I'm stuck reading Better Homes & Gardens. 
-Ed Helms

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2010, 11:13:17 PM »

1.  Perfect Fifths--Megan McCafferty
2.  Sunset Boulevard--Zoey Dean
3.  Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan--Morgan Robertson
4.  Beach Trip--Cathy Holton
5.  Ruined--Paula Morris
6.  Hold Still--Nina LaCour
7.  Swimming--Nicola Keegan
8.  Click Here (to find out how I survived seventh grade)--Denise Vega
9.  Museum of Mary Child--Cassandra Golds
10.  Second Skin--Jessica Wollman
11.  Penny Pinchers Club--Sarah Strohmeyer
12.  They Never Came Back--Caroline B. Cooney
13.  Punkzilla--Adam Rapp
14.  Hollywood is Like High School with Money--Zoey Dean
15.  Mare's War--Tanita S. Davis
16.  Posh and Prejudice--Grace Dent
17.  Ash--Malinda Lo
18.  Hunger Games--Suzanne Collins
19.  I'm So Happy For You--Lucinda Rosenfeld
20.  The Everafter--Amy Huntley
21.  When You Reach Me--Rebecca Stead
22.  Age 14--Geert Spillebeen
23.  Surviving the Angel of Death: the story of a Mengele twin in Auschwitz--Eva Kor
24.  I, Alex Cross--James Patterson
25.  Gone to the Dogs--Mary Guterson
26.  The Monstrumologist--Rick Yancey
27.  Flash Burnout--L.K. Madigan
28.  Lonely Hearts Club--Elizabeth Eulberg
29.  Spies of Mississippi: the true story of the spy network that tried to destroy the civil rights movement--Rick Bowers
30.  By the Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead--Julie Anne Peters
31.  Simeon's Story: an eyewitness account of the kidnapping of Emmett Till--Simeon Wright
32.  I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It--Adam Selzer
33.  Beautiful Creatures--Kami Garcia
34.  Killing Bridezilla--Laura Levine
35.  Flightsend--Linda Newbery
36.  Last Song--Nicholas Sparks
37.  Making Rounds with Oscar:  the extraordinary gift of an ordinary cat--David Dosa
38.  Tangled--Carolyn Mackler
39.  Sweet, Hereafter--Angela Johnson
40.  Catching Fire--Suzanne Collins
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2010, 11:02:44 PM »

1. Mercury in Retrograde - by Paula Froelich
2. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
3. Thank You for Not Smoking - Arlo Flinn
4. The History of Southwest Virginia 1746-1786 & Washington County 1777-1870 - by Lewis Preston Summers
5. London's Burning: The Adventures on the Frontlines of Punk 1976-1977 - Dave Thompson

Adding:
6. D-Day: The Battle for Normandy - Antony Beevor

Currently reading:
7. Operation Overlord - Max Hastings
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2010, 11:43:11 AM »

6 • John Heilemann & Mark Halperin - Game Change
adding
7 • David Dosa M.D.- Making Rounds with Oscar: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Cat
A lovely little true tale about a special cat who lives in an old people's home and who has a knack for seeking out and comforting the residents about to die, as well as their relatives. It gives a physicians viewpoint on the elderly who suffer from dimentia and how Oscar, a little black and white cat, altered his perception of what 'caring' should entail. A nice heartwarming read.
Opulence. I has it.

scuba

• Summer Resident
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »

1) Beautiful Boy - David Sheff
2) Proust was a Neuroscientist - Jonah Lehrer
3) The Talent Code - Daniel Coyle

4) How We Decide - Jonah Lehrer
Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2010, 03:00:57 PM »

1. Let Sleeping Rogues Lie by Sabrina Jeffires
2. Don't Bargain with the Devil by Sabrina Jeffries
3. Wed Him Before You Bed Him by Sabrina Jeffries
4. Eleanor, Ellatony, Ellencake, and me by C.M. Rubin
5. Bones of Betrayal by Jefferson Bass
6. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
7. 206 Bones by Kathy Reichs
8. The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
9. Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor: Being the First Jane Austen Mystery by Stephanie Barron
10. Death at Bishop's Keep: A Victorian Mystery by Robin Paige
11. Ellie: The Perfect Dress for Me by C.M. Rubin
also known as rcc94

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2010, 04:39:59 PM »

9. Heartbreaker- Julie Garwood.  Really good thriller.  Really fast paced, quick read.  I finished it early, so now I don't have a book to read for today.  I'm stuck reading Better Homes & Gardens. 
10. Sacred- Dennis LaHane.  REALLY engaging.  Liked this one a lot. 
-Ed Helms

scuba

• Summer Resident
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2010, 09:09:18 AM »

1) Beautiful Boy - David Sheff
2) Proust was a Neuroscientist - Jonah Lehrer
3) The Talent Code - Daniel Coyle
4) How We Decide - Jonah Lehrer

5) World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War - Max Brooks
Michael, I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up