Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: NBCs Late Night Lineup Flap  (Read 6851 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
NBCs Late Night Lineup Flap
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:08:48 AM »

Man, NBC stepped in it, no?  Just reading this New York Post article this morning has me wondering what in the hell they're thinking.  On one hand, Jay kinda got screwed.  NBC pushed him to retire, then realized that was a fuck up and gave him this new show.  But on the other Conan's been given the gig, and the lengths that entire staff has gone to with moving to LA were above and beyond.  Not to mention how much Conan has toned down his act for the new time slot.  Now they're going to go and take their ball back?  Lame.

I hope Fox offers him big money, and I hope The Tonight Show tanks when Conan leaves.  Jay is already fucked, they don't have to fuck Conan too.

And if we didn't have enough proof that NBC is out of ideas here's the last sentence of that article. 

Gaspin pledged that the network was going "back to basics" and would fill the 10 p.m. hour with dramas, including a new version of "Law & Order," set in LA.

Yup, that most magic of bullets, another Law & Order.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:13:32 AM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Re: NBCs Late Night Lineup Flap
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:36:47 AM »

Best description I've read was Jay Leno = NBC's "New Coke"
Opulence. I has it.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:29:26 AM »

Actually he might be more like Coke II.  Which is what they called New Coke after they brought old Coke back, as though they thought both would sell.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

matt

• Citizen
    • Every Issue Presents Itself
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 02:55:21 PM »

Check out Conan's monologue from last night.  He didn't hold back, and neither did Letterman or Ferguson.  Scroll down to watch theirs.

http://tv.gawker.com/5445941/conan-obrien-eviscerates-nbc-jay-leno-updated-so-do-letterman-and-ferguson

UPDATE:  Conan gives the finger to NBC:

"People of Earth:

In the last few days, Iíve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, Iíve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, Iíve been absurdly lucky. That said, Iíve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isnít the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesnít matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; itís always been that way.

Yours,

Conan"

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/12/conan-obrien-says-he-wont-do-tonight-show-following-leno/?hp
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:46:56 PM by matt »
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »

The best line from Conan: "NBC announced they plan to lose $200 million on the Winter Olympics next month. Folks, is it just me, or is that story hilarious?"
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

rva

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 06:40:16 PM »

What I find odd is that apparently no one at NBC realized what a stupid "solution" that was.

First, how do you do a 1/2 hour talk show?  That concept is never going to work.  Second, if you MUST try to do a 1/2 hour talk show, Leno is the worst one to pick.  He's the blandest of all the hosts but probably the best with guests.  Conan could just do a 1/2 hour worth of sketches because that's all anyone really cares about on his show anyway.

But mostly, what made you think this was going to make anyone happy?  Leno has a 1/2 hour show now and the slap in the face of his old show having failed.  Conan has to move an hour back, which basically makes him a 1/2 hour show anyway, and Fallon might as well just forget about it.  Just fire a dude and cancel a show.  One dude is angry, two dudes are happy.  Now you have three dudes.  Four if anyone cares about Carson Daly.

I've always secretly liked Leno and think he takes too much shit.  If anyone remembers his old standup, you know he can be quite a bit funnier and edgier if he wants.  But I just feel like he's decided that he's going to try to appeal to a broad audience and that means making genial but not-edgy jokes and being very affable to guests and audience and doing it kind of old-school.  I don't mind that.  We have enough Howard Stern types.  And if it's eleven o'clock at night and I'm going to bed, I don't need any crazy shit going on.  I will drink a cup of pleasant but boring tea while I watch a pleasant but boring talk show.

Conan I generally like, but there are many times I have to turn him off when he struggles through an awful bit, and I never watch his interviews.  Fallon is unwatchable in every way. I really can't stand that guy.  Craig Ferguson I like more than everyone on NBC combined.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 04:17:12 AM »

Jay's an asshole.

He went on record multiple times saying how he didn't need any more money, how he was fine with whatever NBC was paying him.  NBC's making record dough on his show, and he's fine with letting them take whatever they want?  No one would take that position.  I think Jay was just pissed that he was losing in ratings to cable RERUNS most nights, and bitched and moaned to NBC. 

Conan really had no options, because his ratings have sucked.  Before he went to the Tonight Show, Craig Ferguson was beating him in the ratings.  That wasn't a warning sign to NBC?  What did Conan think was going to happen when he went up against Dave?  He should have kept his ten million a year and STFU.   Now, he's lost his leverage mostly.  I don't know how that letter is going to help him.  It makes him look good in the press, and now forces NBC to either a) let him walk and pay out the rest of his contract or b) pay him an absolutely ridiculous amount of money (start by doubling his salary) and see if he sticks around.  Do you think he'll do that, though? 

And as for Jay only doing a half-hour show, I call bullshit.  His whole point is to try and force Conan to quit.  Good for Conan he's standing up to this.

It would be incredible if he somehow ended up on Comedy Central.  A late-night lineup of Colbert, Stewart, and Conan back to back would be a critical success, not to mention it may end up getting more viewers when you factor in places like Hulu and web views. 

Shame on the media for letting TMZ take the news coverage on this, and for giving NBC a presidential pardon and not questioning this move at all.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 08:30:19 AM »

Conan I generally like, but there are many times I have to turn him off when he struggles through an awful bit, and I never watch his interviews.  Fallon is unwatchable in every way. I really can't stand that guy.  Craig Ferguson I like more than everyone on NBC combined.
CBS is where my late night talk show bread is always buttered best. I will always, ALWAYS watch Letterman and Ferguson before anyone on NBC.

But, I do love Jimmy. However, I totally understand that I'm probably the only on these boards that does enjoy his show. I fast-forward through the monologue EVERY time, but enjoy his audience stuff (except LICK IT FOR $10), this interviews (I don't find him awkward or forced AT ALL...well, unless you count the interview with DeNiro...which you shouldn't), his activities with the guests (Beer Pong with Betty White? COME ON!), THE ROOTS, fantastic musical guests backed by The Roots (is there ANYTHING they CAN'T DO?!?!?!) and the silly parodies like THE REAL HOUSEWIVES OF LATE NIGHT. It's the show I would want to be on if someone actually wanted to see me on TV. Well, maybe after Craig. Why must they be on at the same time?!?!?!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:31:53 AM by c-lando »

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 11:11:59 AM »

What I find odd is that apparently no one at NBC realized what a stupid "solution" that was.

First, how do you do a 1/2 hour talk show?  That concept is never going to work.  Second, if you MUST try to do a 1/2 hour talk show, Leno is the worst one to pick.  He's the blandest of all the hosts but probably the best with guests.  Conan could just do a 1/2 hour worth of sketches because that's all anyone really cares about on his show anyway.

But mostly, what made you think this was going to make anyone happy?  Leno has a 1/2 hour show now and the slap in the face of his old show having failed.  Conan has to move an hour back, which basically makes him a 1/2 hour show anyway, and Fallon might as well just forget about it.  Just fire a dude and cancel a show.  One dude is angry, two dudes are happy.  Now you have three dudes.  Four if anyone cares about Carson Daly.

I've always secretly liked Leno and think he takes too much shit.  If anyone remembers his old standup, you know he can be quite a bit funnier and edgier if he wants.  But I just feel like he's decided that he's going to try to appeal to a broad audience and that means making genial but not-edgy jokes and being very affable to guests and audience and doing it kind of old-school.  I don't mind that.  We have enough Howard Stern types.  And if it's eleven o'clock at night and I'm going to bed, I don't need any crazy shit going on.  I will drink a cup of pleasant but boring tea while I watch a pleasant but boring talk show.

Conan I generally like, but there are many times I have to turn him off when he struggles through an awful bit, and I never watch his interviews.  Fallon is unwatchable in every way. I really can't stand that guy.  Craig Ferguson I like more than everyone on NBC combined.

Yep, that's about right...except that part about Craig Ferguson who I've never found funny (on his show anyway).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:14:19 AM by Buzzstein »
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 11:43:54 AM »

Glad to see the love for Craig Ferguson. I'm not much of a TV watcher, so I don't know the difference btwn most of these guys, but lately I've started watching some of the Craig Ferguson segments on youtube and holy crap is that guy funny.

The interview with Mila Kunis (be still my heart) the other day was tremendous.

rva

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 11:53:47 AM »

Conan is the funniest by far, if you just go by highlights.  I do not like either Kimmel or Fallon, but I do appreciate that they are creative and try to push the envelop.

No one's monologues are really that great.  I would probably put Ferguson up there with Conan, and well ahead of Fallon and Kimmel in that respect.  Ferguson is funny in a self-deprecating, somewhat subtle, but way.  And mostly Ferguson doesn't do all the bits and sketches and other stuff.  There aren't really great comedy moments on his show, but it is generally entertaining and somewhat funny.  Just not whacky, hilarious kind of funny.

But in the end, it's a talk show.  And I'm most interested to hear what Ferguson has to say and what his guests have to say.  He's the only one I feel who tries to actually connect with his audience and his guests.  The rest of them are just playing characters, and their guests are mostly participating in what is kind of a parody talk show/comedy variety show.

Patton Oswalt took a shot a Jay Leno the other day, saying he couldn't understand why Leno wants a talk show so bad when he doesn't do anything with it.  Probably because he wants a talk show, and is perfectly happy doing a talk show.  Why would he change?

The better question is why Kimmel, Fallon, and to some extent Conan insist on having a talk show when clearly they want a comedy show.  If Conan were giving some free license to just put together a funny show, I bet it would be pretty awesome.  But I doubt it would involve interviewing guests.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:55:46 AM by rva »

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 12:11:18 PM »

But in the end, it's a talk show.  And I'm most interested to hear what Ferguson has to say and what his guests have to say.  He's the only one I feel who tries to actually connect with his audience and his guests.

Case in point:
http://www.youtube.com/user/malinky2stoatir?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/4/XaWo7aoDrJo

Apparently Carey Mulligan doesn't have much to say, and she's not much of a guest. Yet despite that I found myself laughing out loud (literally - actually laughing) at some of the moments in this interview. And the whole time he admits "I'm just trying to connect with the youngin"

Love it.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 12:39:48 PM »

Please tell me you've watched his 1000th episode!!! That show will stay on my TIVO indefinitely.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 01:58:26 PM »

Please tell me you've watched his 1000th episode!!! That show will stay on my TIVO indefinitely.

I am heartbroken that I missed it.  :'(
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 02:19:33 PM »

I am heartbroken that I missed it.  :'(
Hopefully it is on the website for the Late Late Show or something. It was amazing...unless you hate puppets.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up