Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: NBCs Late Night Lineup Flap  (Read 6308 times)

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
Re: NBCs Late Night Lineup Flap
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 09:16:59 PM »

I admit that I haven't watched late night shows in more years than I care to admit, but if I'm up, I watch Conan (though I do really like Letterman). Fallon doesn't do it for me, but I think I might like some of his skits. I really like Craig Ferguson, for many of the reasons listed below.

I do not like Jay Leno. I've been off of him since at least 2000. He was making Monica Lewinsky jokes years after Clinton was out of office. And that is just lazy. He's just not funny. I think the other hosts have enough of a self-depreciating streak to reduce apparent rudeness.

The 10:00 thing was a foolish choice. And they canceled Southland, which was awesome and would do very well in a 10pm slot.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »

Please tell me you've watched his 1000th episode!!! That show will stay on my TIVO indefinitely.

I am heartbroken that I missed it.  :'(

Hahah. Yes, I did see it on Youtube. It's probably still up, cuddly. I'm gonna be honest and say that Craig and I don't have much history, so I didn't know about his love of puppets until that show. I think I started watching him in early Dec... But yes, it was definitely hilarious that he even pulled that whole thing off.

Hell Toupee

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 11:18:05 AM »

<3 it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 11:40:40 AM »

Hahah. Yes, I did see it on Youtube. It's probably still up, cuddly. I'm gonna be honest and say that Craig and I don't have much history, so I didn't know about his love of puppets until that show. I think I started watching him in early Dec... But yes, it was definitely hilarious that he even pulled that whole thing off.
OH MAN! So you probably don't know that Kristen Bell is his favorite guest and he has her on WHENEVER possible. Like, they are full-on IN LOVE with talking to each other. It's amaaaaaaazing!
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »

OH MAN! So you probably don't know that Kristen Bell is his favorite guest and he has her on WHENEVER possible. Like, they are full-on IN LOVE with talking to each other. It's amaaaaaaazing!

Well I didn't know they are in love or anything, but that was at least the 2nd (maybe 3rd?) time I'd seen her so I figured there was a connection. And now that I've seen Jason Segal on a few times... and Mila Kunis once, I figured there's some kind of "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" connection. I don't know what it is.

But regardless they are all guests I like seeing, so everyone wins! Yay!

matt

• Citizen
    • Every Issue Presents Itself
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »

Boy, Kimmel really let Jay have it last night on Jay's own show.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »

Seeing that makes the conspiracy theorist in me think this is just a huge network stunt.  Why on earth would Leno have Kimmel on his show a day or so after Kimmel did his Leno lampoon?  A lot can be said about Leno, but he's not stupid and had to know that something like this could and probably would happen. 

Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 10:58:09 AM »

I would say NBC is certainly pushing the animosity because the ratings are way up.  I'd wager that somebody is still getting screwed though.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 12:19:02 PM »

Rumours have it NBC are giving Conan $40m and will not envoke a no-compete clause

He'll go to Fox.

I hate Fox but I hope his show pisses all over Leno's
Opulence. I has it.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2010, 05:18:37 PM »

Well, good, at least Conan will be allowed to move his show somewhere else. He would do well on Fox or really anywhere he goes. The idiots at NBC are such short-sighted bastards. As Jay's audience dies off ratings will go down. Would have been a lot smarter from a long term business stand point to stick with Conan.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2010, 06:55:20 PM »

Network TV is dying.  Why would he go to FOX and sink LOWER in the late-night ratings than he is now?  The main problem is the FOX affiliates get decent ratings with the sitcom re-runs, and ultimately, it's their choice, not FOX, as to what's run after the local news.

I said this before, but going to Comedy Central and following Colbert & Stewart four nights a week is probably the best move.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

rva

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2010, 07:35:50 PM »

That was a pretty awesome Neil Young impression.  Fallon does undeniably have his moments.

Kimmel's thing sucked, though.  Which just kind of re-affirms my belief that he's more-or-less talentless and has to rely totally on writers.  I mean, his responses weren't very funny.   He just tried to turn everything into a mean Leno jab in horribly ham-handed ways.  "Kimmel, do you have any pets?"  "You mean, do I have any pets you want to bump off a time slot?"  "Kimmel, do you like chocolate ice cream?"  "Are you trying to buy me off with ice cream after you dicked me?"  The worst part was you could see him like, wracking his brain for those responses.

I agree that Comedy Central is Conan's best move.  Like I said, he's more interested in the comedy than the talk, and Comedy Central will give him more freedom, as well as a like-minded audience.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »

Yeah, Jimmy was awkward as hell in that clip.

That would be pretty awesome if Comedy Central picked up Conan though.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:45:18 PM by Buzzstein »
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2010, 08:35:32 PM »

Is there really any chance of it though?  I mean, all he can really do is exactly what Stewart and Colbert already do... they don't want to dilute that brand too much.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up