Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: NBCs Late Night Lineup Flap  (Read 6930 times)

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Re: NBCs Late Night Lineup Flap
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 10:51:29 PM »

Is there really any chance of it though?  I mean, all he can really do is exactly what Stewart and Colbert already do... they don't want to dilute that brand too much.

I don't see Conan making political jokes and satire like Colbert and Stewart.  Is Colbert and Letterman doing the same show?  Why can't Conan bring the same late-night program he does to cable?
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2010, 12:51:08 AM »

If you're on Facebook, I started a group called 'I Will Never Watch Another Second Of The Tonight Show if Jay Leno Returns As Host' if anyone is interested in joining.

http://apps.facebook.com/groupsplus/group.php?id=9171&tr_prev=invite&tr_vers=1.0&tr_acc=invite_page&tr_sig=148653830

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2010, 09:19:14 AM »

Network TV is dying.  Why would he go to FOX and sink LOWER in the late-night ratings than he is now?  The main problem is the FOX affiliates get decent ratings with the sitcom re-runs, and ultimately, it's their choice, not FOX, as to what's run after the local news.

I said this before, but going to Comedy Central and following Colbert & Stewart four nights a week is probably the best move.

Do you think he'd get better ratings on CC than Fox though?  CC sure couldn't pay him the $$ fox could
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 10:40:34 AM »

Seth Meyers on SNL last night

"You didn't have to have Cinemax to see somebody get screwed on TV this week"
*picture of CoCo in the background*
-Ed Helms

rva

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »

I still don't see how Leno is to blame here.    He's getting a half-hour show, which will be an absolute disaster.  No one would watch that.  Conan is just getting moved back a half hour.  He has the younger crowd who will stay up to watch him.  He might lose some audience toward the end of the show, but no one watches the end of Conan anyway.  If Conan were to just stick around, Leno's show would fail and then more than likely he would get his slot back.

I just think Conan's being bitchy about it.  His show was on at 12:30 for years, and he seemed to be okay with it.  Then he got the coveted tonight show spot, and he refused to change anything he did.  You come on earlier, you have to entertain a broader and older audience.  O'Brien didn't want to do that and his ratings were not exactly stellar.  I guess I can understand his frustration over NBC wanting him to change and him not wanting to.  But that's got nothing to do with Leno.

bluebastard

• City Elder
  • No more Wilco
    • portfolio
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2010, 07:20:53 PM »

I still don't see how Leno is to blame here.    He's getting a half-hour show, which will be an absolute disaster.  No one would watch that.  Conan is just getting moved back a half hour.  He has the younger crowd who will stay up to watch him.  He might lose some audience toward the end of the show, but no one watches the end of Conan anyway.  If Conan were to just stick around, Leno's show would fail and then more than likely he would get his slot back.

I just think Conan's being bitchy about it.  His show was on at 12:30 for years, and he seemed to be okay with it.  Then he got the coveted tonight show spot, and he refused to change anything he did.  You come on earlier, you have to entertain a broader and older audience.  O'Brien didn't want to do that and his ratings were not exactly stellar.  I guess I can understand his frustration over NBC wanting him to change and him not wanting to.  But that's got nothing to do with Leno.

Leno is not the real evil persay but he is in a position to step back, be a man, and ride off into the NBC sunset with plenty of money a warehouse of cars with opportunities to make money elsewhere with specials, appearances, etc. Conan's gripe is he's only been given 7 months to earn an audience on The Tonight Show. Do you know how long it took Jay to beat Letterman? 3 years. Leno had three years before he began keeping a consistent audience. That 7 months also expresses the fact that Conan and his entire crew uprooted lives in New York to come to Los Angeles and I don't think any of them wanted to beyond the prospect of working with Conan on the Tonight Show.

Frankly, The Tonight Show brand has been dead to Generation X and younger for a long time now. Carson's show was always geared to the older set and now that that set isn't really a coveted late night audience (though apparently NBC thinks it is but they are out of touch all over the place), it brings nothing to the table. Leno back on The Tonight Show isn't going to do anything to rebuild that audience and at this point, NBC would be wise to flush just about everything down the toilet and begin fresh. I think of the shows NBC has canceled the past three years that could now be decent ratings and advertising stalwarts for them that they gave up on for a myriad of pointless reasons.

I think the funniest moment this week was Dick Ebersol calling Conan a loser and a failure--words from a man who lost NBC the NFL, MLB, NHL, and the NBA, tried to turn the Olympics into PPV viewing in the early 90s that miserably failed, the rise and fall of the XFL, the destruction of Saturday Night Live in the 80s, and I could go on. And yet he still continues to have a job--that proves the stupidity of the ruling class.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2010, 11:48:15 PM »

Also, if you move back his show to 12:05, it ceases to be the Tonight Show.  It's more like the 'Tomorrow Show.'  I really believe Conan believes in the institution that is The Tonight Show, what it means to the history of TV (even though one could debate what it means today), and why it's important the time slot not be moved. 

If the amount of the buyout I'm hearing NBC is going to give him is true, he doesn't need to worry about the money that Comedy Central can give him.

However, I am reconsidering my thoughts about him jumping to FOX a little.  If Conan can come on every night at 11/10 CST, that's a game changer.  The extra half-hour might be enough to give him a fighting chance.  The problem before with Leno coming on before Conan was that Conan was still stuck with the second-tier guests.  If you're promoting a movie that comes out on Friday, would you rather come on at 10 EST or 11:30 EST?  What potentially will have the bigger audience?  It'd be the same thing if Conan can start at 11 vs 11:30.  That could work for him in the ratings war.

rva

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 02:12:44 AM »

I don't think O'Brien can blame Leno for his somewhat weak ratings.  He was getting beaten in his time slot by Ferguson before he moved.

And that's the real problem.  Letterman/Ferguson is just a far superior combination than Leno/O'Brien.  So pretty much NBC is just desperately shuffling deck chairs here.

Nate

• City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 04:14:20 AM »

I don't think O'Brien can blame Leno for his somewhat weak ratings.  He was getting beaten in his time slot by Ferguson before he moved.

True for the second part.  I think the first part has at least half to do with the equation.  They're both in the same city, so they're competing for guests, and I think whomever's got something to sell is going to pick Leno for the higher audience.  There are more people watching TV at 10/9 vs 11:30/10:30.  Pure and simple.

Now, with Ebersol, I absolutely believe him when he said that he asked Conan to change things up, and Conan said no.  They both had valid points to argue from.  Ebersol because the ratings had slipped faster than NBC would have liked, and Conan because he had only been on the job for seven months, and felt like he should have gotten more support, like Jay received.  Not to mention, soon after Conan went on the air, Letterman broke his sex scandal, and ratings turned from there.  Conan was beating him up until that point.  But yeah, my guess is you'll see NBC become a cable channel within the next five years.  They can get more money in advertising, their ratings will be about the same, not to mention having a cable company as your owner can expedite that process (if not raise questions about anti-trust issues).  It'll suck for people who don't have cable, but hey, what are they missing out on now they can't get online?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 07:37:48 AM »

Jay certainly got more support from NBC than Conan did.  Our local affiliate fits in a bit from the previous night's show every morning (acting like it's news) and I'm sure every other NBC station does the same.  He's gotten way more prime time ad space than Conan.

Conan had to tone down to take this slot, he's said so many times.  You really can't expect someone to retool a show they've been doing for 17 years in just over half a year, and then retool again.  If they weren't willing to go this far with him why did they ever give him the gig to begin with?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »

I thought these two blog entries were especially enlightening.

News from Me 1/17/2010

News from Me 1/19/2010
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 01:36:56 PM »

It's funny, that one from the 17th, where he talks about what he thinks Jay will say about everything down the line, is almost exactly what Jay did say last night.
-Ed Helms

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 03:53:33 PM »

That seems pretty accurate to me. I don't really see Jay Leno as the bad guy in this. I was just thinking last night that they shouldn't have given Conan the Tonight Show when they did. NBC should've waited longer...say maybe 10 years rather than just 5. But maybe Conan wouldn't have gone for that. I don't know.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

rva

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 08:09:25 PM »

This is somehow even funnier if you understand the narration.  I can't really translate the whole thing, here is something that may enrich your viewing experience.  At some point the announcer is going to say "Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel."  Wait for it....

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 08:58:41 PM »

that really should have been the video of the day! And it's really disturbing. Why would an audience on the other side of the world care about the late night shenanigans in the US? The animated figures were awesome, though.  Might be better than the real Leno.  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up