Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Your favorite iPhone Apps  (Read 1843 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Your favorite iPhone Apps
« on: February 02, 2010, 11:02:31 PM »

What are your favorite iPhone apps? I just bought an iPhone and figure I'll have to raid their store soon enough. What do you love? What do you recommend?

rva

Re: Your favorite iPhone Apps
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:50:36 AM »

I like the one where it replaces all your retail cards.  You punch in your UPC code and it puts the bars on the screen and then you can use it at CVS or the gym or whatever.

I always wanted to try the one where you can hold your iPhone up to some music and it tells you what song it is, but it doesn't work on my iPoc Touch.

Urbanspoon.

Any one of the ones that tell you what time TV shows are on, or where/when movies are playing.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:39:49 PM »

The Greg got an iPod Touch last month. I have one page for my apps on there. So far, I really love the moviefone app, the Urbanspoon app (shake it up and it spits out dinner recommendations for your area), the bird call app (it's calming), some movie trivia apps and WOXY's app, of course.

I've only loaded FREE apps since it's his iPod. One day, I'll splurge the $.99 and get the Kevin Smith app.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:34:37 PM »

Got no iPhone, got no favorite apps.  Poor, poor, pitiful Kwyji.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:42:14 PM »

Are Touch owners managing to get free wi-fi connectivity in many places? I'm kinda curious about this. Naively I imagine the apps can only work where you have a connection.
Opulence. I has it.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:51:13 AM »

I like the one where it replaces all your retail cards.  You punch in your UPC code and it puts the bars on the screen and then you can use it at CVS or the gym or whatever.

Want. What's this one called?

Doug

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 11:04:55 AM »

I like the one where the user gets a heavy electric shock every time they use it while driving.

rva

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 11:28:11 AM »

Want. What's this one called?

Cardstar.  It's free.  Some people say they can't get the scanners to read them, but I've used mine at CVS, Gold's, and Petsmart without any problems.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 11:43:22 AM »

The one where it turns your iPhone into a Droid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »

Thanks guys. I've downloaded all of these now and am playing. If you have any others, feel free to suggest!

The one where it turns your iPhone into a Droid.

I wanted to buy a Droid, actually, b/c I didn't even have iTunes on my computer and all that, but I already had AT&T and didn't want to cancel, etc. I actually asked if I could get a Droid but keep AT&T - they said not yet, but there is something coming out soon. Sadly, I couldn't wait.

rva

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 01:23:24 PM »

I'd trade my iPod Touch in for a Droid in a second, just to get rid of fucking iTunes.  I still can't understand for the life of me how Apple can continue to push this POS and get away with it.

Oh wait, yes I can.  Because they purposely made the new gen iPod Touches and iPhones incompatible with previously existing third party syncing software. 

I take my iPod Touch to work.  Just to even play songs on my PC, I need install iTunes (and therefore Quicktime, Bonjour, ituneshelper, Apple Updater and some other useless Apple crap).  And then I would say my success rate in having that shit actually correctly play a song is maybe 25%.  25% of the time it plays, 50% it somehow doesn't see the device, 25% of the time it wipes out every song on my iPod.  Despite the fact that I have "manually manage music and videos"  and "prevent iPods and iPhones from syncing automatically."

iTunes is really by far the worst piece of software on Windows today.  By far.  Yes, including Norton.  It installs stuff you don't want and that isn't necessary without asking.  It's uses up maybe 2-3 times the resources it should.  It's buggy as crap.  And it's not even a very good mp3 player even when it's working as it should.  No one likes it but we all have to use it because Apple purposely cripples anything else that tries to work with iPod.

The iTunes is basically the perfect illustration of what Apple users supposedly hate about MS.  It's so unbelievably fucking bad, it's an embarrassment and will make you realize just how full of shit Jobs is when he talks about openness and good design and user-friendly.  The only thing is apparently iTunes works okay with Mac, so the Apple users will never be the wiser.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 03:09:57 PM »

How is it a bad mp3 player?  I like iTunes, personally, it organizes my music well, and provides nice tools for creating playlists based on play count which I use the shit out of.  I don't have any problems with it because I don't try to do anything with it that it's not supposed to do, which I find is the key to most things.  If the music is on your iPod why do you need to play it on your PC?  It's not made for transporting music from one place to the other, it's a music player.

The desktop application is a pain, I'll agree to that, I would like to use some of my system resources for things other than Apple pushing advertising to me under the guise of the "genius" whatever the fuck that is, and I'm not buying shit from their store until I can buy it in a non-proprietary format.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

rva

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 03:46:15 PM »

If the music is on your iPod why do you need to play it on your PC?  It's not made for transporting music from one place to the other, it's a music player.

Because sometimes I want to play songs from my personal collection at work, and I don't want to put a bunch of songs on my work machine.

You're acting as if I'm demanding some kind of extra feature that is beyond iPod/iTunes' capability.  The iPod is perfectly capable of being a music transportation device and serving as data storage.  It's a feature that has been intentionally crippled.  Apple went a good deal out of their way to force me to use iTunes and make my $350 device less useful than a $10 memory stick.

I would argue that iTunes does an amazingly shitty job of organizing music, which is why I disable that feature and refuse to allow iTunes to do it.  If your entire music collection is in one folder, and your directory structure is artist/album then yeah, great.  If not you are SOL.  It took them YEARS to add something as simple as folder monitoring... and you can still only monitor one folder.  And yes, iTunes can create playlists based on song count... just like every other mp3 player.

The problem with mp3 players out there is really that there isn't one "killer app" that is good at everything you need it to do.  Some are better at managing libraries, some have cool plugins, some do cool things on the internet.  But they ALL do what iTunes does, because the functionality that iTunes provides does not even meet the bare minimum of what an mp3 player should do.  And they are not hard to use, if for no other reason than everyone has a skin that copies iTunes' exact interface.

iTunes is "simple to use" in the sense that a car with no steering wheel is simple to use.  You drive forward in a straight line... what's hard about that?  I mean-- it's totally useless, but at least it's not confusing

iTunes was pretty cool in like 2003 or whatever.  It just hasn't improved at all since then.  In fact it's gotten much, much, much, worse.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 09:49:38 PM »

Got no iPhone, got no favorite apps.  Poor, poor, pitiful va_vacious.

fix'd for me!

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 07:00:34 AM »

For the record I also hate the iTunes.  I tried to not have it manage my stuff, but I felt that was MUCH more complicated than I felt it should be.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up