Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to wear advice...  (Read 791 times)

eyeball

• loving my RNY
  • City Elder
What to wear advice...
« on: March 24, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »

I just scored tickets to a performance event with CCM.

here is the description info
http://www.afta-cincinnati.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.eventDetails&eventID=623&destination=E

what on earth do you wear to that? is it semi dressy? dressy?  would david wear a suit or a shirt and tie?

gah. I'd have never gone to anything like this and most certainly do not know what to wear. lol
I've lost 197 lbs yo!  ***updating 4/12  I've lost 218 lbs yo!*** Updated 6/2013 biotch has lost 225lbs! :)

The Hegemo

• City Elder
    • Facebook
Re: What to wear advice...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »

I've never been to anything at CCM, so I don't know what people typically wear to performances there.

I have gone to the Columbus Symphony a number of times, and wore business casual (nice slacks and sweater, no sneakers) and did not feel especially over or underdressed. But you saw a range of dress styles in the audience, from casual to dressy.

The one time I've been to a traveling play (Mamma Mia) here in Columbus, the audience was a little more dressed down than the usual symphony audience.
I am not a dude

rva

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:03:10 AM »

Yeah, if you go to a show in New York a lot of the actual New Yorkers show up in jeans.  I mean, they're really nice jeans and often paired with shirt and sports jacket (because it is after all, New York) but still jeans.  It's really the tourists who go over the top and try and show up in formal old-fashioned evening/theater wear.

But on the other hand, no one really cares.  It's not like they will throw you out.  And like Hegemo says, you'll see all sorts of attire.

Business casual is probably about right.  You can just want to wear something plain that you already have like charcoal grey pants/charcoal grey jacket or navy blazer, white shirt/red tie.  Standard shirt-and-tie get-up.  You can even lose the tie if you don't wear a white shirt.

But because it's a social occasion, it's also the chance for you to break out some stuff you'll otherwise never wear.  So you can wear a flashier shirt/tie combo than you would to work.  Break out the French cuffs and/or the pocket square.  That sort of thing.  If you want.

Basically, dress like you would for an evening wedding and you'll be fine.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 07:51:47 PM »

Basically, dress like you would for an evening wedding and you'll be fine.

Pretty much that, but you can wear more impractical shoes since you will spend most of the time sitting! :)  And take a shawl/sweater since the auditorium will probably be chilly. Well, I get cold easily so it's something I take along.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »

CCM is the Univ of Cincinnati, right? Or are we talking about a different CCM?

If it's UC, then I'd say they are trying to be elegant, so you should too. Not actually be elegant (unless you want to) but appear like you're trying. Plus, I'd much much rather be overdressed than underdressed, so I like to err on the side of fancier. If it's something other than UC, I'm not sure.

And rva is correct about Broadway shows here in NYC. But just b/c others are wearing jeans doesn't mean you need to. If it's a special event to you then you should dress like it's a special event.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:40:21 PM »

Whatever you do... gussy it up a bit by wearing your bestest undercrackers.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

eyeball

• loving my RNY
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 10:39:53 PM »

thanks everyone.  :) yes its the UC ccm.  I'm excited.
I've lost 197 lbs yo!  ***updating 4/12  I've lost 218 lbs yo!*** Updated 6/2013 biotch has lost 225lbs! :)

vizzah

• Self-cleaning mutant
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 11:55:18 AM »

Black dress. Can't go wrong. 
In case of emergency, breakdance.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 04:08:53 PM »

Opulence. I has it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up