Author Topic: Droid  (Read 4672 times)

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Droid
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:54:50 PM »

I just ordered a Motorola Droid from Amazon (thanks, W, for the tip). I'm very excited to get. As there are a couple of Droid users on the board, I was wondering what Apps you'd recommend. Any other tips?
also known as rcc94

rva

Re: Droid
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:23:10 AM »

shazam, google sky maps, flixster, key ring, shop savvy, Advanced Task Killer, handcent sms if you text a lot.

Tune wiki is really cool, but I'm not that into the music/social networking or having lyrics and cool interweb tie-in stuff when I'm listening to music.  I'd rather preserve the batteries.

Layar has the potential to be really awesome, but I haven't found a use for it yet.

I don't do the social networking thing, but meebo is supposed to be really good.

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:11:31 AM »

Slacker, Pandora, and Barcode Scanner are good too. I use the Advanced Task Killer the most.
Well.......

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:38:45 AM »

I just ordered a Motorola Droid from Amazon (thanks, W, for the tip).

Is this a tip you could share with the rest of us?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

rva

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »

Sure.

Verizon sells the Droid for $200 online and at their stores if you get a Verizon two year service plan.  But if you go to Amazon.com and buy from Verizon, it's only $20 with a two year service plan.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UUTCKC/

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:19:59 PM »

It is a new phone, not refurbished. I got mine for $49. $20 is even more amazing. The fine print is "When you purchase your device with service from Amazon.com, we automatically pass along an instant discount from the carrier to you. This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, Amazon.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes. "

I could live with that.
also known as rcc94

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 11:04:53 AM »

What's the mp3 player like on the droid?  I really like being able to create playlists and stuff based my iTunes database.  I'm not addicted to iTunes by any means but I really like those abilities.  How does it work with the droid?

What about podcasts?

I'd have a whole crap load of stuff that I'd have to convert to mp3 though... oy.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:30:33 AM by Kwyjibo »

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 11:20:15 AM »

Tune wiki is really cool, but I'm not that into the music/social networking or having lyrics and cool interweb tie-in stuff when I'm listening to music.  I'd rather preserve the batteries.

I don't do the social networking thing, but meebo is supposed to be really good.

I get the hint. I'll stop trying to find you on Facebook. :)
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 11:39:41 AM »

What's the mp3 player like on the droid?  I really like being able to create playlists and stuff based my iTunes database.  I'm not addicted to iTunes by any means but I really like those abilities.  How does it work with the droid?

What about podcasts?

I'd have a whole crap load of stuff that I'd have to convert to mp3 though... oy.

To tell you the truth, I don't even use my mp3 player anymore so I haven't loaded any music on my Droid. I do, however, have the Slacker and Pandora apps downloaded so I just plug in my headphones to my Droid and listen to Slacker. I love it.
Well.......

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »

That's a selling point I didn't think of in and of itself.  How much are those apps or are they free?

rva

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 01:03:32 PM »

Free

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »

Crap, it was $20 last week, now it's $50.  My Sprint contract doesn't expire until 5/8 so I don't want to overlap too much.  I wonder if it'll go back down?

rva

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 10:41:58 AM »

It's pretty hard not to overlap unless you don't mind a service interruption and/or changing your cell number.

But they odds are decent they'll be $20 again by 5/8.  The Droid Incredible comes out April 29, so by 5/8 the Droid won't be the cool new model anymore.

cuddlyevil

• sleepy, so sleepy
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »

Do any of you have the myfi (myfy) service as well?
"Because I'm cuddly b*tch. Deal with it." ~ Marshall Erikson

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 02:45:27 PM »

I went and looked at it again and it was $19.99 again so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  Dude, I'm gettin' a Droid.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up