News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Droid  (Read 4724 times)

clemsonfan

• RN
  • City Elder
Re: Droid
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 03:20:31 PM »

I went and looked at it again and it was $19.99 again so I went ahead and pulled the trigger.  Dude, I'm gettin' a Droid.

Congratulations! I love my Droid.
Well.......

rva

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »

Do any of you have the myfi (myfy) service as well?

I don't have it, but a bunch of the IT contractors in my office have them for business.  As far as I can tell, they work pretty well.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »

Ordered Monday afternoon - Arrived Wednesday morning... can't beat that.

Loving it so far, I've been piddling around, can't play too much cause I'm at work.  I owe LMNOP and RVA each a beer next time I see them for putting me on this path.

Can anybody recommend a google reader app or a podcast syndication app?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 06:52:01 PM »

Can't help with either of those, but I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Anyone have a suggestion for a notepad type application (or is there one with the phone that I just haven't found)?
also known as rcc94

Hell Toupee

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 08:17:55 PM »

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 09:39:02 PM »

Gotta assume they'll fix something like that.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 10:27:10 AM »

Amazon had the docking station on Gold Box special the other day for $18.99.  I was going to buy another charge cord anyway, which runs about $11 so I picked the dock up instead.  It's a damn cool accessory.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-DROID-Multimedia-Docking-Station/dp/B002WB2P76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1272637467&sr=8-1

You have to click on the other purchasing options to get it from Amazon.  If you combine it with something else and get free shipping it comes out cheaper even though their price is higher.  I also got the car charger for $15.  Not bad.  As power hungry as this sucker is you need chargers everywhere so it's nice to not pay a fortune for them.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »

The Kindle Android app is available.  I'm going to try it out.

Love my droid so far.

matt

• Citizen
    • Every Issue Presents Itself
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 09:52:42 PM »

I've had a BlackBerry Curve with Sprint for the last year or so and like it, but have an upgrade credit available and I'm considering an HTC EVO 4G with Android.  Except for the battery drain issue (some users are saying 6-8 hours max for a charge), the reviews seem to be pretty remarkable.  Anyone have one or have any thoughts?
There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it.
-- Frank Zappa

rva

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 11:32:05 PM »

It's basically the same as my Droid Eris.  I mean, not really because in terms of hardware specs they aren't close at all.  The EVO is far superior which means it can do some much cooler things now, and will be able to do many more cooler things in the future.

But they are both HTC's, and both run Android via Sense UI.  The build quality on my Droid Eris is fine; I haven't had any problems with it.  I don't really use the track ball much, but that's hardly a negative.  I liked Sense UI more than stock Android, but I ditched it anyway because I like Launcher Pro even better.  But you can do the same thing with the EVO if you desire. 

The battery life on all Android devices leaves a bit to be desired, and it is exacerbated by my one HUGE pet peeve with the device which is that 1)  many applications never actually close and 2) they all want to run in the background when often they don't need to and you can't tell them to stop, and 3)  they all want to use your GPS and constantly send or receive information for really no good reason at all.

Which means that you may not even get 6-8 hours on a charge without some active management.  It's not like you need to run it in airplane mode all the time, but you will want to get some kind of task manager/app killer (there are several free ones) and use them to manually turn off a bunch of silly services and apps you don't really need. 

Not a deal breaker to me by any stretch, but it IS annoying.  For me, I like to stream at work so the lack of battery life compared to other devices is not a big issue.  I don't think there's any phone right now that could last all day if you stream audio on it for 3-4 hours straight.  So I have one charger at home and one for work.  That solves the problem for me, but if you are the kind of person who mostly wants a cell phone for calling people and you'd rather have the convenience of just putting it in your pocket and carrying it around all day and only charging it at night, it's something to consider. 

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 12:04:31 AM »

I get about 2 days from a charge on my Motorola Droid, so I've been happy with that.

I've recently gotten the multimedia dock for use at work, so that really helps with keeping a fully charged battery. It's also pretty amazing, as it knows when it's docked (or when it's in the car mount). I still haven't figured out how it knows.
also known as rcc94

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 07:35:42 AM »

It's also pretty amazing, as it knows when it's docked (or when it's in the car mount). I still haven't figured out how it knows.

There's a magnet in the back of the device and in the dock, when the two meet magic happens.  Same happens with the car cradle except it goes into the auto home screen.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »

Ah! How ingenious.
also known as rcc94

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 11:01:20 AM »

Ella and Cfan, did your Droids update over the weekend with the new UI?  I like it so far, lots of neat little updates.  I'm still trying to figure out everything that has changed.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 12:45:30 PM »

I got my 2.2 update a week ago, but several co-workers got theirs the weekend before that. I appreciate the additional 2 screens, but I haven't had time to see what else is different other than the obvious.
also known as rcc94
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up