Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WOXY goes down, again  (Read 3001 times)

Doug

Re: WOXY goes down, again
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »

I just peeked in at the boards on woxy for the first time in about a year.  How depressing  :(

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 07:51:50 AM »

When Bill N. was in charge, he had the resources to pull it off.  The problem was that he was going the opposite way with things which totally worked against WOXY.  He was into sort of cloud computing and everyone making their own radio stations and interacting directly with each other.  If you and I are designing our own radio stations and sharing them with each other, then what do we need WOXY for?

That never made sense to me either. 

Doug

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 08:17:10 AM »

When Bill N. was in charge, he had the resources to pull it off.  The problem was that he was going the opposite way with things which totally worked against WOXY.  He was into sort of cloud computing and everyone making their own radio stations and interacting directly with each other.  If you and I are designing our own radio stations and sharing them with each other, then what do we need WOXY for?

That never made sense to me either. 

There's a thread over there (There's business and then there's WOXY) where he's implying that he'd like to help WOXY out again.  Sounds hopeful at the least.

rva

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 08:20:52 AM »

If you really think about it, WOXY accomplished a shit-ton more the last few months under Future Sounds than they ever did as part of Lala.  They moved to Austin.  They added a bunch of shows.  They sponsored a ton of live events.  They were all over SXSW.  They were bringing in a ton of lounge acts.  They seemed to have a really good PR/marketing person (at least within the Austin area) in Paige whatshername.

You can argue with whether any of the above things were actually good moves, but at least they were moves.  If they'd had deeper pockets, they might have turned a corner.  I still have no sense at all of what Bill N. was trying to do with WOXY.  

And now he apparently wants back in.

The thing is, if Bill N. really just likes the station, he could simply make a few small changes and leave the rest as is.  It's not going to turn WOXY into an actual money-maker, but it could maybe break even or lose only a small chunk of money each year and given his cash reserves he could go on supporting it indefinitely.

But I get the feeling Bill N. wants to turn WOXY into something.  Only thing is, I'm not sure what that something is, and I don't think he does either.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 11:51:34 AM »

Yeah. I spent about 5 minutes with that thread (i.e. not very long) and got the sense that Bill was all about "if we can come up with something visionary and revolutionary then I'm here to finance it." He's not the idea guy. He's the business guy. If there's profit or innovation then they've got that connection to him and he's ready to help out. But if it's just "woe is me we need money" then he's obviously not going to help.

RVA, what you posted about the ESPN analogy...I hope you posted that to him.

But again, it's all about profitability (is that a word?). WOXY's not profitable in its current state and until there's something solid to suggest it could be then nothing's going to happen. And solid isn't "get commercials." It's an actual study with market data and hard numbers.

rva

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »

Yeah, they could do with some focus groups and real hard data.  Do an actual market study and come up with a real mission statement and an actual business plan.

If you want to make it a real business, you got to run it like a business.

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 05:23:48 PM »

I thought somebody said that Futuresounds bought the name and didn't plan to give that up?
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 09:36:09 PM »

Yeah, they could do with some focus groups and real hard data.  Do an actual market study and come up with a real mission statement and an actual business plan.

If you want to make it a real business, you got to run it like a business.

Music, as a business, sucks right now.  I can't imagine PLAYING music is much better.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2010, 02:28:34 AM »

I'm wondering if Bill N. is purchasing this for his own use.  I don't think he can affiliate woxy with lala now because of the Apple deal.  Also, I don't think Apple would have any interest in woxy, right?
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

rva

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 10:02:30 AM »

I think if Bill N. or anyone else were to buy WOXY it would be in large part a labor of love.  Which is not really a bad thing.

I think it's kinda like buying a sports franchise.  Owning a GOOD sports franchise in not really a money-making investment. So you don't want someone to buy it just for a profit motive or their main interest will be suckering fans into going to games while cutting every corner possible.  The team is going to suck and eventually the fans will lose interest and the only thing the owner cares about is if he can sell it before it tanks or forcing the league to bail him out.

On the other hand, you don't want an owner who gets too excited and overspends on players, or one who just thinks keeping the franchise in existence is enough.  Because no one wants to watch a consistently mediocre team, and no one is going to fall on their knees to thank you for putting a crap team on the field and embarrassing the fans and city.  Everyone just gets bored of it.

They need an investor, not a partron.  But an investor whose motivated more by the challenge of reaching some vision or the challenge of making WOXY the best it can be (according to their vision of "best"), as opposed to raw profit.

If WOXY were a English soccer team, they would be a League One side.  They need an owner that understands you can't turn WOXY into a Premiership team without destroying the character of the club or the finances or both.  But at the same time, they need an owner that wants WOXY to be the best League One side possible, because it takes WORK to do that and if you're not trying to be the best at some level, why bother? 

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »

no one is going to fall on their knees to thank you for putting a crap team on the field and embarrassing the fans and city.  Everyone just gets bored of it.
The city of Cincinnati would beg to differ with that.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

benway

• Summer Resident
    • http://www.benway.com
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2010, 07:58:36 AM »

But I get the feeling Bill N. wants to turn WOXY into something.  Only thing is, I'm not sure what that something is, and I don't think he does either.
This is exactly what I've been thinking.  The first thing he does (the second time now) is post on the boards and ask them for ideas?  That approach doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence.  The die-hards there just want the station to stay as it is with a new sugar daddy every year.

There is a lot of good ideas cropping up now though, and Bill N posted that something is in the works.  Time will tell.
Exterminate all rational thought" -bill lee
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up