Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank you please for your answers  (Read 5693 times)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Thank you please for your answers
« on: July 23, 2010, 03:27:27 PM »

I think our cable modem - 5 years old - is slowly crapping out. It's not quite there, but I think it will be soon.

I have it connected to a Linksys router which services our 4 laptops, all of which took me an age to hook up to it because of security settings etc

Q: If I swap out the cable modem - $50 or so - and get it configured, and then connect the router, will all of the latter's settings be kept to maintain connection to the lappys?
Opulence. I has it.

dirk

• City Elder
Re: Thank you please for your answers
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »

Yes, as long as you don't swap the router, all the setting should be kept.  My question is why would swapping the cable modem cost you $50?  Does Comcast (i know your in KY, so I assume it's Comcast) really charge you to swap them out when they go bad?
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »

It's Inshite here..

They rent you a modem for $3 a month until you've given them $50 for it - during which time it will get swapped out free, after which you're on your own. No monthly charge until you need a new one. Yes, it's money for old rope but they're the only game in town.

Glad the router settings will stay intact, I feel happier about messing with it now
Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:54:34 PM »

I have an unrelated question:

My facebook account is linked to my gmail address, which is fine. I don't care that someone can search me using the gmail addy. What bothers me is that if I email someone on gmail, but never do anything with them on facebook, why does it suddenly start suggesting that person to me? Or more importantly, how can I get facebook to specifically STOP reading my emails?

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 12:35:30 AM »

Did you use the find features friend using gmail on Facebook? If so, I suspect that Facebook saved all the addresses it found at that time and is still using them to suggest friends. I don't think that it keeps checking gmail without your explicit permission.

Then again, I've been suggested former co-workers who I've never e-mailed. I think it's becoming sentient.
also known as rcc94

Doug

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 11:11:33 AM »

I thought that when you use one of those friend finder apps, etc in Facebook, you basically give it permission to do that.  Just remove your app.  I never use those Facebook apps.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »

I'm pretty sure I removed the app, but I'll check again. I think when I first signed up I may have used the friend finder, but man that was long ago and I don't really remember.

I would have thought that if it was checking my gmail account, it would ask me every time in the same manner that it did the first time. Of course, shadier things have happened, so who knows?

rva

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »

What it probably did was ask you if you wanted to look through the addresses of people who had already e-mailed you.  That way you'd be caught up. 

And from then on it would just check whenever someone new emails you.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 05:40:41 PM »

I now have zero apps. I dunno - there's nothing that indicates I'm sharing passwords or anything.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 02:13:07 PM »

NEW QUESTION!

I have an OLD website (linky here) that is mostly defunct but I like updating the concerts that I've seen. I don't know much about coding and websites in general, so all I knew was how to log into tripod using my Microsoft Frontpage 2002 and edit it and hit save.

Now when I open Frontpage it says that it cannot find the website. I don't know how to access it any other way. Do you guys have any suggestions? Is there another free program I can use? Or do you think Tripod has locked it down or something?

Doug

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 02:24:21 PM »

I would contact Tripod.  The page looks simple enough, so it must be some security on their side.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »

Now when I open Frontpage it says that it cannot find the website. I don't know how to access it any other way. Do you guys have any suggestions? Is there another free program I can use? Or do you think Tripod has locked it down or something?

I dunno, I have an ancient webpage on Tripod as well. On a whim a few weeks ago, I tried to login and it didn't recognize my username and password. Granted, I hadn't logged on in a very, very long time so they might have flushed the account (but not the page). Please post what you hear from Tripod (if anything), I'm curious to see what's going on.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:52:08 AM »

I would contact Tripod.  The page looks simple enough, so it must be some security on their side.

Thanks for the idea. I didn't even think about that. I was able to go into the actual code and figure out how to add more lines to my table, so I added the 3 latest shows, but the table part at the bottom of the page was too complicated for me to bother with. I'll see if I can email them, but at this writing that looks more difficult than it should be.

Doug

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 12:03:27 PM »

Are you talking about everything under the Zutons entry?  Looks like some empty rows to me.

Aside from the advertising they wedged into the page, the rest is dead simple html.  You could just edit it in Notepad or Word.  I would just make sure to backup the file in a working state before you save changes, that way you have a backout plan in case you make some errors in your editing.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »

No, I am referring to the table which I made showing the number of times I've seen each band. I need to move a couple of bands from one column to the next, but the html seems to read it in rows, which means I need to redo almost all of the rows down there. I know it's probably not hard, but it's harder than my non-skills allow.

No worries. And thanks for the replies.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up