Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC Software  (Read 2352 times)

Wolverine

• Summer Resident
  • :snikt:
PC Software
« on: December 02, 2011, 07:50:25 AM »

If all you professional and amateur technological people could please assist, I would be very grateful. I currently use Zonealarm as my firewall and antivirus program. I'm guessing all programs are bundled together like that. What is the best program to protect my pcs with the least amount of memory hogging.  I seem to recall using McAfee years ago and another popular one but those programs really bogged down the pc. Additionally, are there other programs besides a firewall and antivirus I should be investigating and adding to the pc? Are the pc tuneup programs reliable and worth the money?

heh heh

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: PC Software
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »

This is blasphemy, I know, but I actually don't have either on my computer. And I haven't for a while.

I'm sure I have some kind of virus, etc., but things seem to be working fine.

That doesn't help you, I know. If i have a problem I usually use Hitman Pro and that often seems to clear things up.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:01:16 AM »

I feel like the latest batch of protection programs make computers so damn unusable it's not really worth it.

I use the Microsoft Security Essentials (or whatever they call it now).  Minimum footprint but doesn't catch everything.

Once a week or so I run the free version of Malwarebytes to scan for anything bad and remove it.

I use the latest firefox for all my browsing, never ever use IE unless forced (5/3 bank website), and do all my email through yahoo which scans attachments.

-- Mark

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »

Once a week or so I run the free version of Malwarebytes to scan for anything bad and remove it.

x2

I also use the free version of Avast anti-virus which works really well and doesn't slow things down. A big plus is that you can turn off parts of it that don't apply to what you have/use/whatever.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »

I use Avast! anti-virus and Comodo firewall. Found them to be less memory-hogging than AVG and ZoneAlarm.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 01:13:31 PM »

We use Sophos.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Doug

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 03:43:38 PM »

Create a VM (Virtual Machine) on your PC using VMWare.  Back up the VM file.  Do all of your surfing from the VM using Windows Firwall and whatever virus scan.  If your VM gets hit with a virus, blow away the infected VM, copy the backup VM and run a nice, shiny new VM.  Just make sure to always keep a backup of the VM.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:45:15 PM by Doug »

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 04:15:34 PM »

Create a VM (Virtual Machine) on your PC using VMWare.  Back up the VM file.  Do all of your surfing from the VM using Windows Firwall and whatever virus scan.  If your VM gets hit with a virus, blow away the infected VM, copy the backup VM and run a nice, shiny new VM.  Just make sure to always keep a backup of the VM.

This is good advice for someone who has kids who don't know what not to click on yet.

I may try to put this into action this month.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 05:37:17 PM »

never ever use IE unless forced (5/3 bank website)

Say what?  The 5/3 site works fine on Firefox and on Chrome... been using both for years and never had a problem.

I also highly recommend Avast!
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Doug

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 11:15:46 AM »

Create a VM (Virtual Machine) on your PC using VMWare.  Back up the VM file.  Do all of your surfing from the VM using Windows Firwall and whatever virus scan.  If your VM gets hit with a virus, blow away the infected VM, copy the backup VM and run a nice, shiny new VM.  Just make sure to always keep a backup of the VM.

This is good advice for someone who has kids who don't know what not to click on yet.

I may try to put this into action this month.

Let me know if you need help.  I just did this for my kid's PC.  I run the VM from the Startup menu when they log on and they work in it exclusively.
Pages: [1]   Go Up